When to stop...

Options
I've lost 28lbs since the end of feb and I now weigh 100lbs, which i'm really happy about :) my friends and family have been getting at me lately to stop loosing weight and just stay where i am now, I know they're being caring n all, but are they right? I wanted to lose a few more pounds but should I stay where I am now?
All comments appreciated :)

Replies

• LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    First of all, congratulations on losing the excess weight! But 100 pounds is perfect for a young woman your height. Actually, on most height/weight charts, it's underweight. I'd say enjoy your success, listen to your caring family, and stay where you are. You look lovely and want to stay looking lovely.
  • ncates00
    ncates00 Posts: 51
    Options
    Talk to your doctor about it. I don't know your body composition or genetics. Body weight is relative. Picture this: two men are sitting on a park bench. Both men are 32 years old. Both men weigh 225 lbs. One man is obese and on medication for diabetes and everything else. The other man is an athlete with 8% body fat. Weight is a relative term. It's about body composition! What are you made of? You need lean body mass and essential fat. Talk to your doctor.
  • midgetio
    midgetio Posts: 57
    Options
    awh thank you! :) I'm just worried now about what to eat/how much to eat without putting on weight :p
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Reconfigure MFP so you'll be at maintenance rather than loss. That should do it. And according to the charts, you even have a few pounds wiggle room.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?
  • midgetio
    Options
    I'm only five foot :p
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I switched my goal to maintenance about a week ago. If you're close to or at your goal it's interesting to see what your intake calories are. It's been pretty accurate and I actually decided to cut a few more pounds. I just have to manage that myself. I think that's what you have to do in the end. Know what you need to break even and then adjust the calories up or down slightly to maintain what you have.

What someone else said about body composition was really true. If you work at having a slightly more muscular body (nothing crazy just an overall improved composition) then you have a lot more leeway on the number of calories you can eat and still maintain.

100 pounds sounds just fine for someone 5 ft.
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    First of all, congratulations on losing the excess weight! But 100 pounds is perfect for a young woman your height. Actually, on most height/weight charts, it's underweight. I'd say enjoy your success, listen to your caring family, and stay where you are. You look lovely and want to stay looking lovely.

I totally agree w/ this! Congratulations, and revel in the success you've had! :drinker:
    (Oh,, and you don't have to stop eating healthy foods....you just need to do what you can, now, to maintain and stay at your weight. )
  • mmackiewicz9
    Options
    You want to stay at a healthy weight and the scale isn't the only thing that can make that determination. Why not incorporate a little strength training in place of a cardio session every couple days? You will be able to tone your muscles without adding bulk and it will keep your metabolism running fast at the same time.
  • midgetio
    Options
    Thank you guys! :D
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I'd never strive below the BMI as well as body fat levels considered optimal.
    That's 20% body fat for a lady and whatever weight your best, most healthy BMI range is.
  • midgetio
    Options
    I think my bmi is 19.6 now, which I'm really happy about because it's always been about 25/26 :D
  • sukaera
    sukaera Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! n____n

BMI is redonkulous to me, sorry, haha

I agree with other members, readjust your calorie intake and work on general fitness. (like running faster, or maybe lifting a little heavier weights) If you're happy with your weight, awesome! I'd personally would mix it up with different/more challenging workouts, just to kick in some variety in life! :-)
  • tinytemple
    tinytemple Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    i agree with the body composition comments because at our height girls can look very different at nearly the same weight! I think you've done so well though, such an inspiration for me!!
  • manaism
    manaism Posts: 4
    Options
    Peer and family pressure is not always (if ever) a good thing. But sometimes the people who love us the most and know us the best see things about us way before we do. Of course, the decision of when to stop is ultimately yours, and should be based on how your body feels, and whether or not you're getting the nourishment you need. Being malnourished puts tremendous stress on the body, particularly the heart and brain. Maybe a healthcare professional could answer this question for you?

You don't need it, but I'm sending you "Best of luck!" anyway. You are clearly strong, dedicated, and motivated -- you'd have to be to lose 28lbs!!! I have no doubt you'll get through this and be stronger (and healthier!) for it.
  • EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Honestly 98 is perfect for your height as well, it just really depends on your body type. That's a bmi of 19.1, which is NOT underweight according to any charts (unless you have a super stocky frame, which by your profile pic and height I really doubt) but it's also very thin, but it's possible to be perfectly healthy there. :) You have to pay attention to your frame size and body composition (muscle and fat percentages) now, instead of just your weight. As for maintaining just keep eating healthily but don't make a calorie deficit. :) Good luck and awesome job. I'm in college now and good luck keeping that up lol, you can do it.!
  • jcarnes66
    jcarnes66 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! n____n

BMI is redonkulous to me, sorry, haha

I agree with other members, readjust your calorie intake and work on general fitness. (like running faster, or maybe lifting a little heavier weights) If you're happy with your weight, awesome! I'd personally would mix it up with different/more challenging workouts, just to kick in some variety in life! :-)

I absolutely agree with this. My BMI is at 26 (I think) right now and according to the BMI, my 'ideal' weight is 162 pounds. I weighed 207 lbs as of this morning. Please let me know if you think I have 45 more lbs to lose!!! :)
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Please let me know if you think I have 45 more lbs to lose!!! :)
    I wouldn't lose a pound over 44 if I were you. :laugh:

My BMI is 28. Like I keep saying. Just one snack a way from being obese.
  • ElviraCross
    ElviraCross Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I think you look great. I definitely wouldn't go below 98.
  • midgetio
    Options
    I've only just checked this again, thank you for all your comments guys :D