Am I dumb to start a diet in December?

Options
Hi, I'm a stay at home Mom from Florida...ready for a change and hope to NOT gain anything in December! Reading some of the posts and hoping to stay motivated! I have 50lbs to lose.

Replies

• mavsfan2009
    mavsfan2009 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    you're SMART for starting in December...although rather than a diet, I think it should be a lifestyle change. You'll be getting skinny while everyone else is gaining! good luck :)
  • JJs25th
    JJs25th Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    No. Life is too short to not be who you want to be. If you do not start the journey today, when will you?
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a stay at home Mom from Florida...ready for a change and hope to NOT gain anything in December! Reading some of the posts and hoping to stay motivated! I have 50lbs to lose.

DMJ-- God bless you for starting now and not using the holidays as an excuse to gain more weight. The "I'll start January 1" mentality is nonsense-- no time like today to make wise choices.

I started last year, June '08, with 50 pounds to lose. It's been a bit of a long road for me weight wise, but an incredible journey of empowerment as I conquer this nemesis. I've learned how to eat sensibly, make wise choices, control myself, and most importantly, I learned to love exercise-- you can do this. And I made some great friends here along the way. No time like the present.

Seize the day, right?
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I think starting in december is a good time its the very beginning and in the beginning people tend to be really motivated this will keep you accountable. Good luck!
  • areay22
    areay22 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    No way! We are starting the Holiday Trimmings in our office tomorrow! Good luck!
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's dumb at all! It may be a little more challenging to start around the time of so many temptations, but it's very possible to be successful. You just have to have the right mindset from the get go. Just think, by starting now vs. waiting for January to roll around you'll be that much more ahead - a month ahead and all that "last-bit-of-junk food before I start my diet" can be avoided. You can totally do it! Just do what I do - I try my best and when I fall off the wagon (cause it happens to everyone), I get right back on!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Any day is a good day to start bettering yourself! :smile:

Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • buggaboo73
    Options
    Well, we can be dumb together because I'm starting today too! :flowerforyou: Nice to meet you!
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    I would start today. even if you don't lose a pound this month if you just hold steady you are doing good. If you happen to lose then you are doing great. I hate saying I am on a diet. I would rather say it is a lifestyle change. I have made small changes in the way I eat and adding more exercise. Just take it a day at a time and keep trying to make better choices.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    today is the best day to start your diet for life
  • demezat
    demezat Posts: 158
    Options
    O have to agree with everyone else...Why not start today?! Good luck!
  • 135pounds
    Options
    It's smart to start now. Lots of people say I'm going to start after New Year's getting healthier and exercising more. They then use that as an excuse to eat whatever they want through the holidays. Most of the time they over do it and it becomes harder to motivate themselves when Jan 1st rolls around. If you start making a conscious effort now to pay attention to what you are eating then it will be so much easier to continue throughout the new year! I am routing for you!! Good luck!
  • shariguymon
    shariguymon Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    No! definitely not dumb! a few possible pointers! go low carb for 2 weeks with 1 cheat day a week where you eat some of your favorites without gorging. Try your workouts ( with doctor's approval) as interval training ( intense 2 minutes, low intensity 2min) for about 8 cycles at a time every other day. Anyway, I'm just starting a program that uses carbohydrate cycling , and so far I feel really great! I just started a couple of days ago. Would be happy to share with anyone interested.:bigsmile: Just send me a note if you want any information.:happy: A favorite saying when it comes to setting new goals and living :" Today is the first day of the rest of your life" Make it matter!:flowerforyou: Take care, and welcome aboard to a wonderful support group where you can find new friends that value you for you:bigsmile:
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Actually, they were just talking on the radio about "getting your body in shape for the holidays". Not so much from a reform standpoint, but just from the idea that we know we are going to abuse ourselves with over eating, lack of sleep, alcohol during the xmas season. So, they were saying, to give ourselves a little "damage insurance" - sort of like training for an event - by eating more healthfully - fresh salads, antioxidents, etc.; boosting the immune system by increasing our exercise and getting extra good sleep; and avoiding alcohol, etc.

Of course, this should be a lifestyle, but the premise is, even if it isn't, a little boost now can help offset some of the damage you will do over the holidays... so go for it!
  • InnerCutie
    Options
    well I stared in NOV. Just thing you are getting a head start on your summer body!! I think it is a great time to start.
  • Sparksfly
    Sparksfly Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    No way... start as soon as you can. I hate that "january 1st mentality". I've done that before but it just gives yourself an excuse to eat worse than you normally do during the holidays.

Thanksgiving is ONE day.

Christmas (if you are christian) is ONE day.

Two days eating whatever you want doesn't make you gain 5-10 lbs. It's that (oh my diet starts tomorrow) idea that makes people gain more than they have to!

Control yourself and you can still lose weight during the holidays.
  • 34at35
    34at35 Posts: 318
    Options
    I started my lifestyle change on November 8, 2008. I made it through Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, My wife's birthday, Valentines's Day, our anniversary, and Easter and still continued to lose weight. After those temptations, the rest of the year has been "a piece of cake". So go for it! But remember, its NOT a diet, its a lifestyle change. A diet implies a temporary thing that will end and you will go back to what you were eating and doing before. You DON'T want to do that!
  • hhhdddggss
    Options
    Absolutely not! I'm constantly starting again and again but THIS time, I found this site and am using it as a source of inspiration for me as I SUCCESSFULLY start again! Good luck!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,986 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Start to do something different immediately. Take it one day at a time. Take baby steps. You will be so glad you did. If you start cutting back and ultimately cut out sugar, by the time the world is full of Christmas cookies you will have fewer cravings and be able to resist a lot more than you think. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: