What should I do?

Options
So I've been eating <1000 a day with the exception of July 4th, and I was doing great. However, yesterday I started adding in strength training and this morning I was up a pound and a half. I know I need to shock my body, but I'm not sure what works best. Any ideas about why the gain, or how I can get back on track losing?

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    it's water retention. And you are going to just eat up the proteins in your body at 1000 calories a day, unless you're like, 4'3.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    up your calories. 1400 is good.

also, after strength training, your muscles need to be repaired, therefore they hold on to water. stop weighing in every day. once a week, say on friday morning, is fine.
  • LetsDoTh1S
    LetsDoTh1S Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    First, eating 1000 calories a day might show you results BUT...it's definitely not good for you. And eventually, when you lose all the weight...you WILL binge (trust me.) Your body has this way of thinking that you're starving so when you actually get food that you love...you'll engorge yourself.

Secondly, in regards to strength training, when your muscles are repairing themselves they'll hold onto water. The increase is because of water retention. Should be gone in 2-3 days.

But please, eat more than 1000. Effective yes, but I promise you that once you eat over that number your body will hold onto that caloric load.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    Less than 1000 a day????
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Why do you think you need to shock your body? What does that even mean? I'm pretty sure eating less than 1k calories is shocking (and stupid) enough.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    When you strength train, your muscles need time to recover and repair themselves. While they do that, they retain water, hence the weight gain.
  • SuziQueue
    SuziQueue Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm upping my minimum calories to 1200 and I'll only weigh in once a week. Great advice -- Thanks everyone! :flowerforyou: