Beginner workout ideas?

Options
So I have 110lbs to loose, haven't been in the gym in 3 years and starting at square one. When I went to the gym previously it was before I had a baby and I was much more active and in better shape with less weight to loose.

Any suggestions as to beginner level workouts? I walk a lot at work (around 5 mi a day so obviously that isn't keeping me in shape) so I am looking for ideas. I plan to get a personal trainer 1x per week but do not have room in my budget till Sept 1st. Any suggestions in the mean time?

Replies

• MissLucyDee
    MissLucyDee Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Swimming is good.
  • dnunny
    dnunny Posts: 125
    Options
    I have 100+ to lose. I started going to the Y, doing the water fitness classes. I have lost 10lbs. since June 10; and I lost 15lbs. when I first started going in January (about 4-5 weeks of going 4x a week).

You could also do Yoga, Pilates etc. I asked the instructor about a class, and she suggested a few for me to try.

I don't use the weight machines, yet. I am hoping to add them later this summer.
  • dnunny
    dnunny Posts: 125
    Options
    Swimming is good.

I'm going to start swimming/water jogging/walking in the mornings on the days I can't get to the gym at night. Does your gym have a pool?
  • clamoreaux2012
    Options
    My gym doesn't have a pool. My old gym did the the membership dues for that gym were 3x what my current gym is. They do have fitness classes, but I worry that I am "not in shape" enough for the ones I am interested in.
  • RejoicingL
    RejoicingL Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have 100 to loose total, and I love Zumba! I go to a laid back class in our small town. There are people of all different sizes and abilities. You just work at whatever pace you can. There are a couple of ladies in our class who can't move around too well, so they just use their arms, and bounce in place. I can't really keep up with all the moves, but we just all laugh at ourselves. It is so much fun and the ladies are great! I'd encourage you to find a local class similar to this...where all sizes and abilities can feel comfortable. I was surprised how much I liked it!
  • amusgrave
    amusgrave Posts: 79
    Options
    I have 100lbs to lose so i got a wii, wii active, just dance 3, and zumba 2. I do atleast one a day for 45 min.
  • Horu
    Horu Posts: 8
    Options
    I do FitnessBlender exercises. You can find them on youtube "FitnessBlender" and they have a bunch of exercises ranging from beginner to intense. C: I find they work well for me. So as long as you have a computer and some space to move, you're good to go!
  • lucylAnneMason
    Options
    aerobics =)
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I agree with water aerobics, and Zumba! Also, Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds are really great. She does basic moves, but gets your heart rate up there. You can do it!
  • mamabear0222
    mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    walk away the pounds IS great ... i set a goal and work towards it ..
    first week i do one mile until i can work up to 2 miles etc ...
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    strength training. I've lost 112.8lbs so far, and strength training has been an integral part of this!
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Start slow. Build up your strength and stamina. Any kind of cardio would be great!! Anything that you gets up moving and your heart beat raised.

Dancing I found has been the best!! It's fun and not something as repetitive and boring as, say, walking on a treadmill.
  • johicks
    johicks Posts: 1,991 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym either. I do different cardio by jamming to music & dancing or marching while cleaning the house. Mowing the lawn by push mower is good exercise. I also march in place while typing in the am to my MFP friends. It doesn't take much, just move. When commercials come on TV- do something other than sit!!

You can do some circuit training-
    http://exercise.about.com/od/circuittrainingworkouts/Circuit_Training_Workouts.htm

"If you think you can, you're right! If you think you can't, you're right!" ~ Henry Ford
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I had 130 to lose and am down 21 now. I started out doing my treadmill 3 days a week for 30 minutes and then slowly started increasing my time on there and then when that got easier I started working at inclining the treadmill now I go for 55 minutes on a 10 incline and 3 days a week and 2 days a week p90x yoga and two days a week after the treadmill I do one 15 minutes ab and one 10 minutes thigh workout.... It has been very slow for me but it is coming off and every few weeks I change something else....
  • MalissaDC
    MalissaDC Posts: 123
    Options
    Another vote for Walk Away the Lbs~ it was the only one I could do before I lost weight.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Ladies have unique needs that I couldn't address given that what works for me may not be the best program for a female seeking peak fitness.
    For cardio, do what you enjoy and what produces results.
    As for the specifics of your resistance program, just see what has worked for others in your position who have achieved what you seek.
    Here are some sites to give you ideas.

http://www.stumptuous.com/
    http://www.weightliftingforwomen.net/
    http://www.fitnessblender.com/

I know what works for me, and the main item that spells success is just the doing of something that targets every muscle group in the body.

It's work.
    The planning and the doing is just work, and you need to go to those sites and educate yourself without relying too much on the advice on others who may not know too much.
    Learn from the experts, then decide what your goals are and move from there.

All Is Possible!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    They do have fitness classes, but I worry that I am "not in shape" enough for the ones I am interested in.

That is TOTALLY ok! If you are really concerned about falling too far behind in the classes just stay close to an exit, you can always bail if you have to! I've been to classes in relatively good shape where I had to sit out for a few minutes to stop feeling like I was going to puke!

Definitely don't wait to strength train until after you have lost some weight. Start now and your body will thank you for it later!!
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Honestly, in the beginning any amount of added activity will make a difference. Something as easy as getting a pedometer and setting a goal for 5,000 to 10,000 steps will make a difference. You can start out doing what you can. If that's walking on the treadmill so be it. What you'll find is that when you start doing more physical activity your endurance will increase and you'll be able to do much more. I think the key is getting out there and doing what you can in the beginning...
  • clamoreaux2012
    Options
    Thanks Bobby for the sites, very useful information. Thank you.

My gym offers Zumba but is normally packed. I thought about trying kick boxing or the boot camp classes. Anyone ever done these?