Calling armchair psychologists... it's all mental. :)

Options
Sorry people - warning - this is partly a rant, partly a quest for insight...

Just curious - is anyone out there primarily motivated by fitness goals (vs. weight loss goals?) Can't really explain it, but my motivation comes from my desire to feel connected to my body- and have overall better health. I've found that improving my nutrition supports this goal (and I have lost almost 30 lbs)

Why I'm asking this is.... I recently noticed I was in a state of "goal displacement" - being preoccupied with weight loss - and that I'm regularly sabotaging those goals. It's super weird, but when I set a weight loss goal and consciously, quickly achieve it -(2-3 lbs a week, for example) I act almost as quickly to reverse it by eating larger portions, extra snacks or unhealthy foods . Then I'm back to the beginning, staring those numbers down and wondering why I won't let myself succeed at the goal. If I lose 3 lbs in a week as a result of hard work - I feel WORRY, not accomplishment. It's actually seems to be better if a scale is nowhere in sight.

It's the opposite with exercise goals. Improving my strength and endurance is challenging and rewarding. (I've completed Cto5K, and am started on Gateway to 8K) and am moving into level 3 of 30 day shred. I've added in walks with my dogs, and sometimes I do Cardio Kickbox with Jillian. I usually feel awesome after attacking a workout. When "fitness" and "nutrition" are my goals- self sabotage usually stays away.

This makes no sense to me. I certainly love that I can now fit into clothes I like (6's and 8's instead of 14s). I have more confidence and am an active participant, not an observer, in my life. So why the heck the resistance to losing weight on purpose? What's that ABOUT?

Maybe I need to ditch the worry about my weight/size once and for all and just focus on being a healthy, active ME. (But that's hard to do in a place like this, where nearly every thread is about loss, losing the muffin top (which I still have :sad: ), and the pursuit of a magic number.

Whew. Rant over.

Thoughts?

Replies

• lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    I'm like you in that once I lose those stubborn 2 or 3 lb, I find that I start "snacking" more (i.e. cheating more) And then I'm so shocked that t he 3 lb comes back on, and sometimes brings friends. This new round of motivation, I have decided to focus on how my clothes fit. The scale goes up and down, but I'm feeling my clothes fit better. I also started setting a goal of how many calories I want to burn this week and challenge myself.

Why we self-sabotage on the weight thing, I have no idea. But I agree about feeling better after reaching a fitness goal. For the weight loss/diet thing, I pick one thing a week that I'm going to work on avoiding (i.e. a certain cookie or snack in the kids' snack box). That way I'm not depriving myself all at once. Once I've achieved that, then I move onto another food/drink item. Three weeks now, and so far so good.

I didn't answer your question at all. Just wanted you to know you are not in the boat alone. We'll paddle/drift together :)
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    About motivation - I'm definitely motivated by fitness. Which is just as well as I'm losing weight v-e-e-e-r-r-r-r-y slowly but I'm noticing improved strength and endurance. :happy:

I don't know about the snacking though - is it self-sabotage or is your body responding with increased hunger when you lose weight quickly? Or, are you losing water weight one week and putting it back on the next? Are you journaling at all? That might help you find the triggers for wanting to eat more or eating unhealthy food. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I'm not a psychiatrist but I did sleep at a Holiday inn Express last night! :tongue:

ok seriously though, I may have some (admittedly amateur) answers for you.

So goals are a funny thing, they're a mental endpoint we attach (in this case) to physical outcomes. Inherent to this type of activity is the attachment of any feelings that directly or indirectly associate with these outcomes. For most people trying to lose weight, there's been those feelings of inadequacy that have attached to their self image and to their eating habits for a very long time. Any goals reached through this means has a minimalization attached to it because of the self-esteem issues we associate with our weight. In other words, even though we reach the goal we set out for, our subconscious minds won't let us feel good about it, because we still feel that we are "fat" or "ugly" to some degree, our minds won't let go of our old self image. It takes a long time to get to that point. I'm not saying it's this way for everyone, but to a degree, I'd be willing to bet 80 to 90% of the people on here have some kind of a self esteem problem (or have in the past).

With exercise it's different. First the goal is not really a mental goal at all (besides getting over the idea that you CAN actually reach it, which is just straight up self-doubt, nothing more, nothing less). When we do actually reach a goal like running a certain distance, or a certain time...etc. Then there is no haze involved., there's a specific, solid endpoint that we reach. Further more, when we reach this goal, there's really no subconscious aspect to it (as all the subconscious doubts have already been either allayed or suppressed by actually reaching the goal). When you run that 5K, you ran it. That's it, there's no (or in extremely small percentage at least) guilt attached to exercise, nobody looked at you while you were running as a child and said, boy do you run funny. You never watched yourself running on video and said, boy do I look stupid, there's no stigma attached to running about being less than ideal (like there is about being overweight or unattractive). So these goals are freeing, they have no negative emotion attached to them, so for that brief moment when you reach the goal, you feel completely happy about reaching it. This is important, repeatable, and solid, something you can tell others with pride, and no underlying guilt.

I feel that exercise goals, and fitness goals are far more healthy than weight loss goals. For one thing there aren't a litany of weird theories out there floating around exercise (as there are about diet and weight loss), something either works (as evidenced by your increased fitness level in that particular area) or it doesn't. This isn't to say weight loss goals aren't important, or that dealing with the emotions affecting your weight aren't absolutely vital to your long term health, they are, but in my mind, diet is the 18 wheeler you take to get across country (I.E. taking the main load of your health change) but exercise is the Ferrari that everyone should focus on once they're near the goal to reach true success. Why? Because diet can make you thin, and keep your body running basically healthy, but exercise can transform you from being just healthy, to being a physical specimen.

Everyone likes to think they judge people on their attitude, and that's commendable, but that's not completely true about when we judge ourselves. Everyone, to one degree or another, judges them self on their looks, every time you look in the mirror you make a mental judgment on how well you look, coming to terms with your health is great, but you can't completely control your subconscious. Lets face it, you can't lie to yourself, reaching exercise goals boosts self esteem, raises confidence levels, allows you to do things and say things in other parts of your life that you wouldn't be able to if you didn't have that confidence.

And THAT'S why I think exercise goals are so great.

just my humble, and very amateur, opinion, I hope this helps

-Banks
  • sassekel
    sassekel Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    good question, one I have thought about alot myself.
    Banks, that was a very well thought out and insightful response.
    I agree that alot of the struggles and self sabatoge are directly related to self esteem and self image, at least for me it is. Just one more thing I need to work on. great post!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Thank you for these thoughts - it's a good point that i hadnt thought about - maybe I AM just hungrier due to increased exercise (DUH! but i never thought of it). Same with the water weight, etc. Yes, I usually journal, but I must admit - there's easily a couple of days a week I don't. I can get better at that.

Also - Banks, thank you for your response too.... i liked all of the supportive feedback about sticking with exercise and nutrition goals.

I had an epiphany yesterday - after reading this thread - I think there's something "energetic" about it. As in, the "negative" energy of trying to lose weight doesn't sit well with me - it's like buying into a message that I"m not okay as I am, that something (extra weight) is wrong with me, and that I won't be happy until I reach and maintain that magic number.

Exercise on the other hand, and eating well, carry a more positive energy (for me, at least). I feel MUCH more comfortable making goals and choices that expand positive aspects of my life. They always say, where your attention goes, your energy flows.

I realize that there are lots of ways to look at it, this wouldn't work for everyone, but it's my AH-A!
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    This is exactly why I have been successful, for the first time, at losing weight. The weight loss became a natural consequence and benefit of my quest for improved fitness. And you are right...recently I have been more focused on the weight loss aspect and I am finding it a struggle to maintain my motivation.

When I started on MFP last January, it was after I had spent a good month really thinking about how I was feeling physically - noting the details, like my sore knees, being out of breath, low stamina. Then I really focused on a goal - in my case doing a dragon boat challenge that spring. By the time I decided to look for a calorie logging website, I had really established a fitness goal mindset and this was just a tool for supporting that - I wasn't looking for a "diet" site.

Banks, I think you hit the nail on the head. Weight loss success/failure for me is wrapped up in too much baggage from my youth. By having a tangible goal that was totally outside of that, I really haven't had to answer to my demons from the past. And I have never gotten the emotional high from hitting a number on the scale that I did when I completed my first dragon boat race.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    This is exactly why I have been successful, for the first time, at losing weight. The weight loss became a natural consequence and benefit of my quest for improved fitness. And you are right...recently I have been more focused on the weight loss aspect and I am finding it a struggle to maintain my motivation.

When I started on MFP last January, it was after I had spent a good month really thinking about how I was feeling physically - noting the details, like my sore knees, being out of breath, low stamina. Then I really focused on a goal - in my case doing a dragon boat challenge that spring. By the time I decided to look for a calorie logging website, I had really established a fitness goal mindset and this was just a tool for supporting that - I wasn't looking for a "diet" site.

Banks, I think you hit the nail on the head. Weight loss success/failure for me is wrapped up in too much baggage from my youth. By having a tangible goal that was totally outside of that, I really haven't had to answer to my demons from the past. And I have never gotten the emotional high from hitting a number on the scale that I did when I completed my first dragon boat race.

Shari - that's so awesome! Is that what "paddlemom" references? You go, girl!!!! I'm so glad you posted, it's good to find some like-minded company. LIke you, I wasn't looking for a "diet" site. Yet, I have learned so much. Many aspects of this community have been incredibly helpful.... I just need to stay strong and remember what's right for me, and keep MY goals! :)

What are you doing these days - fitness wise? Still paddling? I'd love to learn more about it. Thanks again for posting. :)
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I wonder if somebody might subconsciouly self-sabotage to avoid reaching goal weight - because on some level they don't want the "journey" to end,,,, Hmmmmm?

You might have a mindset of "I want to get down to 200 lbs". So they start out heavier, and diet and exercise and learn and do and make progress, and it's fun. Making the changes in your lifestyle and your behavior and your body is exciting. There's a real feeling of accomplishment when you wipe fast-food out of your life, when you really begin to enjoy exercise, when you lose another 2 pounds.

So - if somebody is thinking that they are going to live the health nut - calorie count - exercise bunny life for a while and then go back to "normal",,, would they maybe try to avoid reaching goal? I wonder.

Personally I've adjusted my goals several times. I started out just wanting 34 waist jeans and 200 pound bodyweight - but as time has gone on the goals have changed... I'd still like to reach that weight number, but I'm way more interested in fitness now. More excited about my abs and my 24 mile bike ride than what some silly scale says... But that's just me. :smile:
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    I wonder if somebody might subconsciouly self-sabotage to avoid reaching goal weight - because on some level they don't want the "journey" to end,,,, Hmmmmm?

You might have a mindset of "I want to get down to 200 lbs". So they start out heavier, and diet and exercise and learn and do and make progress, and it's fun. Making the changes in your lifestyle and your behavior and your body is exciting. There's a real feeling of accomplishment when you wipe fast-food out of your life, when you really begin to enjoy exercise, when you lose another 2 pounds.

So - if somebody is thinking that they are going to live the health nut - calorie count - exercise bunny life for a while and then go back to "normal",,, would they maybe try to avoid reaching goal? I wonder.

Personally I've adjusted my goals several times. I started out just wanting 34 waist jeans and 200 pound bodyweight - but as time has gone on the goals have changed... I'd still like to reach that weight number, but I'm way more interested in fitness now. More excited about my abs and my 24 mile bike ride than what some silly scale says... But that's just me. :smile:

I love that - "I'd still like to reach that weight number but I'm way more interested in fitness now. MOre excited about my abs and my 24 mile bike ride than what some silly scale says. But that's just me." :)

I do think your theory makes sense- and probably applies in lots of cases. I'm glad I posted this thread, because in the course of reading replies and thinking it through, I have gotten a little more clarity on my own situation. In my case, I truly am the healthiest and fittest I've ever been, and it's awesome! I really don't have an huge internal need or desire to get smaller than I am now or lose more weight, and yet, that's the main point of this site. I come on here because I find motivation in the exercise threads, and get educated in the nutrition threads... and along the way, I've let myself get sucked into threads with weight loss goals or challenges, thinking it would be a GOOD and motivating thing. But, I realized, for me, it turns out to have the exact opposite effect. Nothing wrong with it working well for others, and in fact I'm so glad it's there for those who are motivated by it, but I think I've learned my lesson and I'll stay away from those threads, and keep setting goals that feel rewarding to me. :) (Like, oh, say a 24 mile bike ride or finishing 30 day shred with success)!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Hey Smiley,,,

Maybe that's what it's called "MyFitnessPal" - and not "MyWeightlossPal". Hmmmmm...

When I started it was all about weight loss. I just wanted to get trimmer. Now I'm pretty much there - I had dreamed of 34 waist jeans, and now my 32 waist jeans are getting loose. So - where do we go from here? Am I "done"? Back to the couch (to gain it all back, with interest, and do the yoyo again? :huh: ).

Nope - you keep going. For me it's not really about weightloss anymore, it's about fitness. I've evolved, my needs have changed, but this website and community still meets most of those needs, and I get the other stuff I need in other places. Menshealth.com is excellent.

<<Hey, the 24 mile bike ride was great - doing it in 1 hour 40 min's w/just 1 little break was even better! Get a good bike and go.>>