Green Tea

Options
Ive heard the myth that Green Tea helps with weight loss.
Someone I know claimed to have a cup every morning and without changing there diet or exercise at all lost 3kg easy.
Does Drinking green tea really help you lose weight?
If so, how so?

Replies

• juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I drink it every day to help keep things "moving", if you know what I mean. So, I guess you can count that as a weight loss measure. It's the best all-natural way to keep my system happily chugging along. It can speed you up, so I guess one could argue it gives you the energy to get to the gym??
  • ebsshassan
    ebsshassan Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    it's the caffeine in the green tea that supposed to stimulate the BMR so increase the daily calories you burn even without exercise
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I drink it several times a week, but I don't believe that it helps with weight loss. I think it helps flush/clean the toxins from your body and promotes overall well being.... but as a weight loss aid, probably not so much.
  • ebsshassan
    ebsshassan Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    :drinker: it's the caffeine in the green tea that supposed to stimulate the BMR so increase the daily calories you burn even without exercise
  • Susan_Marie67
    Susan_Marie67 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Totally not true..at least in my case. I drink about a gallon of green tea a day..literally.. for over two years now and I can say that I haven't lost an ounce from drinking it.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    It is an extremly mild diuretic. Really won't do much there and as far as caffeine, it has less than a soda does (about 1/4 of a cup of brewed coffee or less than 1 Excedrin tablet) so there is not enough caffeine to do much of anything in it.

It has antioxidants. It is good for you. Will it help lose weight? Doubt it. I have drank teas since I was about 2 years old and didn't help me not gain a crap ton of weight.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    No, creating a calorie deficit helps people lose weight.
    Tea has caffeine - even green tea, so that stifles appetite which is why all those bogus diet pill scammers lace their absurd products with it.
    Just accept that diet and exercise is the only valid path.
    There are no magic wands, miracle pills, macro revelations, far eastern discoveries, exotic enzymes, divination or hidden roots or berries from the rain forest..
    Just eat right and exercise.
    Simple.:bigsmile:
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    If green tea does have any weight loss benefits you'd probably need to drink a lot of it to get them.

I got a flatter stomach and lost weight switching from soda (diet) to iced green tea (2 liters a day), but that may have more to do with bloating from carbonation.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Research online shows a bunch of studies that claim it could potentially help at least speed up your metabolism when you intake green tea multiple times a day. There are also study groups that showed more fat loss in people who drank green tea than those who didn't.
    Either way, I've been taking it in pill form since I don't really like to drink it. It's not going to hurt either way. :P
  • rumpusparable
    Options
    Unless one is chugging down green tea concentrated I'm betting the minute amount of boost a cup (or pot) or three a day isn't going to make enough of an impact to blame for weight loss.

It is a very good way to avoid higher calorie fluids, though.

I'm a constant tea drinker. Up until recently I would drink anywhere from a cup to a gallon or so of tea a day -black, green, white... It's never had any effect on my weight in either direction. It's just a tasty, healthy drink.
  • LadyVivica
    LadyVivica Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I drink REAL green tea, not the Lipton stuff with all the sugar and Aspartame and extra crap, just fresh Gyokuro tea leaves seeped in 175 degree water for 5-10 mins. I don't add a thing, i drink it how it is. I make 2 pitchers of it and that lasts me about 2 days. Now i don't drink it for weight loss, it has numerous health benefits and makes me feel great.

If you want to get more into loose leaf teas, which are the most nutritious, go to http://www.teavana.com There is so much information and this site is easy to understand and there are stores in most malls across the US.
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Exactly. It's not for the weight loss it's for the tons of other proven health benefits.
  • ali_b83
    ali_b83 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it really helps or not, but I find it to help cut down on cravings. Look up matcha green tea. Great health benefits.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Research online shows a bunch of studies that claim it could potentially help at least speed up your metabolism when you intake green tea multiple times a day. There are also study groups that showed more fat loss in people who drank green tea than those who didn't.
    Either way, I've been taking it in pill form since I don't really like to drink it. It's not going to hurt either way. :P

I believe those studies only showed that it was ever effective if the egcg AND caffeine were taken together so make sure hte pill you have is both (also I'm not sure if the studies used pills or just tea ...and also I vaguely recall that there were only male subjects?)

Anyway I drink it because I like it and I also figure what the hell, why not. Lose 3kg with nothing else though? Not likely. I bet that drinking more calorie free tea just cut other higher calorie drinks out of her life (for example most people put milk or sugar or both in coffee and black tea)