What do you do about clothes?

Options
I have had a good bit of success on my diet. One of my recent challenges has been around what to do with my old clothes and how do I deal with new clothes. Anyone got any good approaches?

I have been playing around with an approach to purchase new or NWOT clothes on Ebay from high end makers like Brooks Brothers, etc. That has worked pretty well so far, but I am wondering if I am on the right track.

Thanks!!

yolodiet.com

Replies

• lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    My pants fit like a skirt now. I had to buy a shorter belt, but the pants are so loose that the top button frequently undoes itself, and then they start to unzip. I look like a hip hopper, lol. I'm going to wait to buy pants for a while since Ive still got quite a bit of weight to lose. I've also noticed that neck hole on lots of my shirts "amazingly" feels bigger...On polos with two buttons, I used to only do the lower button, but now I have to do both, or else my chest is exposed.

Once when I was going to play paintball, I went into a goodwill to buy paint ball clothes...I never would have thought it, but they had a lot new looking pants in there for like $6 bucks or something. Anyway, since then I will occaisionally buy stuff from there...it's not as bad as it sounds, although almost all goodwill stores smell like moth balls.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I didn't buy anything spectacular while I was on the downslide. I just bought whatever from Goodwill, then returned 3-4 weeks later, donated it back, and re-purchased smaller sizes until I was at goal weight.

Now I can buy what I want... wherever I want.

:)
  • AlicynH
    AlicynH Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Just today, I gave three bags of cloths to the local thrift store. The last time I lost weight, I kept most of my old cloths. When I started gaining weight again, I just pulled those out. I figured if I didn't have them, I couldn't use them. I usually buy my cloths either at the thrift store or on clearance. Until I reach my goal, I've decided not to spend a lot on cloths.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I have just been buying cheaper clothes for the most part since they don't seem to fit for long. Old Navy, Wal-Mart (who has really comfy yoga pants and super cute dresses btw), and target (love the merona jeans) have become my good friends as far as clothing goes.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    It was a real challenge for me when I lost weight because I have to dress up for work... I went from a 14-16 petite to a 4-6 petite, and hit every size on the way down. eBay was my savior! And I still get all my suits there. Why pay $200 when I can pay $40, new with tags? I donated a lot of clothes to clothing drives... If I were more ambitious, I would have sold them on eBay ...
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Consignment shops (good ones), are great, too!
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I gave my "fat" clothes to charity. I had some smaller clothes I had saved in a drawer in case a day came where I could wear them again. I have a small waredrobe now of just essentials- things I can get by on. I know I will lose more weight and will need smaller clothes.
  • twiztc
    twiztc Posts: 135
    Options
    I LOVE SALVATION ARMY!!!

I got a really good big store near here. I gave them all my teeny clothes and have been getting bigger and bigger clothes over the last year or so. now im hoping to go back the other way again ( but no where near as teeny weeny)

seem a good deal for me :happy:
  • stomachflu
    stomachflu Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I just don't bother with clothes *laff*
  • twiztc
    twiztc Posts: 135
    Options
    I just don't bother with clothes *laff*

I tried that but my stuffy husband got quite verklempt
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores!!!!! It's so worth the search, I get great brands from the thrift like Ann Taylor, Gap, express, limited, brands from Kohl's and many department stores bc women get rid of stuff all the time!
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores, consignment shops, and label shoppers- the one here I like is Peter Harris. I got great dress pants for work for $7. Only wore them for three weeks before needing a smaller size. Since I don't have to go in to work for the summer, I am just making do with a few outfits. By fall I should be at my goal weight. I see a big shopping spree on the horizon!
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    What the others said and also give and ask for free clothes on freecycle.org.
  • manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I still keep all my larger shorts and tshirts for working out, lounging around the home, doing chores, etc. Pants, dress shirts, etc. went to thrift store. But it was a slow process. Unfortunately, although I lost the weight, my wallet never got any bigger.
  • emmymae22
    emmymae22 Posts: 206
    Options
    I've gone from a 24 to a 16....what I've done with my old clothes is bag them up, put on FB that I have clothes to give away, find a friend who wants 'em, and I get rid of them ASAP. I don't want them around me. Period. I'm not really sure why, lol.

For new clothes, I've been drying my stuff on high so it fits a while longer, and shopping for shorts/jeans at Wal-Mart...only buying a couple pair. Good luck!
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    kohls
    second hand stores
    and goodwill :)
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I didn't buy anything spectacular while I was on the downslide. I just bought whatever from Goodwill, then returned 3-4 weeks later, donated it back, and re-purchased smaller sizes until I was at goal weight.

Now I can buy what I want... wherever I want.

:)

Ditto. Get rid of the old clothes and visit thrift stores or consignment shops until you reach your goal. Then, have fun shopping for new clothes. Actually, I've always found great deals at thrift stores, so that's where I've always done a lot of my shopping. I can afford designer labels when I find them in thrift/consignment stores.
  • mevalentina
    mevalentina Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I have some things I bought from the store nice stuff like for work and going out. The rest I am just wearing my way too big stuff I literally had my shorts try and fall down last week while running lol.. I am waiting to lose another 10-15 pds. and then I will probably go out shopping again :( Buying new clothes is the best/worst part of losing weight lol..
  • HorganMom3
    HorganMom3 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I just did my first bit of smaller size shopping and hit up the near by goodwill. Awesome clothes (many of which still had original price tags on them and were brand new) for just a couple dollars!! It's not for everyone, but why spend a lot of money on clothes that you'll just be passing on yourself in a few anyways! The goodwill in the area also takes the overstock and such from Target so I love it!
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I wasn't buying anything really at all... but my pants were literally falling off of me. So i decided to completely empty my closet. I threw absolutely everything out and bought enough new to get me through 1 week. 1 pair of jeans, 2 tees, 3 workout shirts, 3 workout pants, 3 sports bras, 2 regular bras, 3 work slacks, 1 skirt, 5 work shirts, 1 cardigan, 1 suit jacket, panties, and a pack of socks.. cuz why not. Hopefully these get to the same point and I'll need all new all over again!! :)

Hezz