Question strictly for women.

Just wondering.
When it gets to 'that time of month' do other people beside me tend to lose NO weight and actually weight more on the scales?
I was shocked to see i weighed 2kg heavier! I almost had a meltdown!
Then I realised it could possibly be water or something because of my period.
Weighed myself today, I was a little lower but still not much so.
Im hoping by the end of the week I'll be back down again.

Anyone else have the same phenomenon?

Replies

• onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,722 Member
    Yea this happens. Freaked me out at first but now I expect it. The pounds drop quicker a couple weeks after to make up for it lol.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    For sure 3-4LBS at ovulation (then gone) and 3-4 at ToM (then gone).
    This is what weighing daily taught me (not something I advocate for everyone).
  • fallonrhea
    fallonrhea Posts: 388 Member
    Yep! Always. Usually about 2-3 pounds or so...

But then there's always a huge loss when it's over - which is a big hooray moment, haha

My understanding is is that it is water retention. No biggie!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    water weight. hormones fluctuate and can affect our weight on a daily basis. around your period, it's just water retention/bloat. I can weigh up to 8-10lbs more around my period. It's annoying - if you can't handle the fluctuations, don't weigh yourself around this time. It's pretty much pointless if you're going to stress about it!! :)
  • My weight loss slows before my cycle and speeds up once it's starts. I seem to eat a bit more while I am pmsing, but once my cycle starts I am bloated and cramping, so I don't feel hungry and lose a little extra that week.
  • Vercell
    Vercell Posts: 437 Member
    Yes funny you should say that I got on the scale this morning and it said I gained 3 lbs and there is no way you look at my diary I eat very good and I workout 6 days a week. Its because of that time of the month.
  • Las_Vegas_2012
    Las_Vegas_2012 Posts: 5 Member
    Great question! I have asked my mother the same question and she suggested that I take magnesium. My mother also said that with taking magnesium I would need to take calcium as well. Calcium and Magnesium in no more than a 2 to 1 ratio, meaning if you take 1000 mg of calcium daily, you should supplement with a minimum of 500 mg of magnesium per day.

The benefits of magnesium: Reduction in menstrual pain, monthly bloat and menstrual mood swings. Since I have stopped taking my birth control pills my period is so intense now that I am going to start taking these vitamins. Also, increased intake of this mineral has been shown to rev energy levels, sharpen brainpower and ward off a wide range of common concerns.

Information from First magazine for Women, July 9, 2012 edition; pages 32 to 37.
  • Ha....I was just wondering the same thing..I just started and all that and I was man I haven't really lost much weight...then I started last night...hope thats it because I have been working my butt off!
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    yeah, I usually go up a pound or two. Then, when its done, I'll drop that weight almost right away and see a further weight loss soon after.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    I almost always put on 2 lbs or stay the same, but the following week i usually drop 4-6. Just stay to the plan.
  • jadedzen
    jadedzen Posts: 221 Member
    i always gain during TOM, it's best for my own sanity if i just weigh myself a few days after my period or i have on scale freakouts over 4-5 lbs gained overnight. but once i'm done i usually return to my previous weight unless i've been undisciplined about my food. I do track my calories because during TOM it's really important that i eat ALL my calories (i tend to undereat). If i don't eat all my calories i so quickly become the raving witch with claws. My fiance called me a dragon once lol.
  • stpetegirl
    stpetegirl Posts: 241
    I gain from 4 to 6 pounds of water weight that week! Sucks, but it's gone quick and the weight loss the week after is usually pretty significant so it makes up for that week! I tend to retain a lot of water anyway, so my dr has prescribed me water pills to take as I need, so I am hoping this next month I won't gain as much!!
  • ritts20
    ritts20 Posts: 1 Member
    If you drink plenty of water during this week you shouldn't put on any weight. I used to put on 4 pounds but now nothing.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    For sure 3-4LBS at ovulation (then gone) and 3-4 at ToM (then gone).
    This is what weighing daily taught me (not something I advocate for everyone).

I'm glad you said this, because my monthly cycles have been soooo weird lately... or maybe now I'm just paying attention. But I was up 6 lbs last month during my period (and then it was gone) and now I'm up and it's not my period... just ovulation... so maybe that's it. It's just 2 lbs, but I've been eating my cut as normal. No other reason to be up right now.