getting a trainer

jenzimmer
jenzimmer Posts: 300 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Does anyone have a personal trainer? I'm really looking into this. I have a HR monitor and do cardio almost every day, but am lost with weights. I'm thinking this is why nothing is moving on the scale. I eat with in my calories, eat most if not all of my exercise calories, watch my fat/protein/sodium/carbs, and drink tons of water and still get no where. I was talking to my husband because I must be missing something. So we thought maybe getting a trainer? I've looked into cost (HOLY CRAP!) and if I'm going to do this I want to do it right, but can't afford to drain my savings either lol! Any way, my question is, they have 1/2 hour sessions. Do you think that it is worth it for a half an hour? It's half the price and something is better than nothing right?

Replies

• havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    My trainer charges $35 an hour but I know I am lucky there. If you get a good traine, a half hour will help. Let him/her know what you want to do and don't sit and chat with them a lot. I see some people at the gym sitting and talking. I want to be working out the whole hour. Pick your trainer carefully. I go to a gym and I watched the trainers with their clients for a month before I approached the one I wanted. He seemed to waste less time and push real hard.... just what I wanted.

Good luck
  • I know some gyms offer introductory personal training. The YMCA in my home town did this thing called personal exercise program. It was 6 free personal training sessions. It was a good start so that then you could do it all on your own. I wish my YMCA here did that but they only do an orientation to show you the machines.
  • a personal trainer can be a good idea. I go to the gym for 3 to 4 hours a day for lifting and cardio, but the one time i used a personal trainer she busted my *kitten*. I only worked with her for an hour and i was about as winded as when i do my norm 3 to 4. Wish i had enough money to afford one. :tongue:
  • blondeheat
    blondeheat Posts: 254 Member
    At my gym there are often special for personal trainer at Christmas and even more so after New Years for the New Year's resolutions.

To make 1/2 hour sessions effective, you could do your warm up, stretching and cool down on your own so you can focus on lifting techniques.

Some gyms offer a get started intro to weight lifting for free. This is usually a quick demo of the weight machines and a card to track your sessions. Not as effective as a trainer, but could be a place to start.
  • Trainers are EXPENSIVE. Invest in P90X (buy at amazon) and it is like having a personal trainer on your TV. I've had trainers and this DVD is a lot like what I used to do with my trainer. The FIRM dvds are good as well.
  • Getting a trainer was the best thing that happen to me. Likewise I was hitting the gym daily carido & weights with absolutely no results! Since getting one (May of 2008) I've lost 66 pds and reached goals I didn't think I could reach. His instruction and nutritional advice change my life. The key is finding one that is afforable and at the same time can help you get the results you're seeking! Good Luck!:happy:
  • jenzimmer
    Trainers are EXPENSIVE. Invest in P90X (buy at amazon) and it is like having a personal trainer on your TV. I've had trainers and this DVD is a lot like what I used to do with my trainer. The FIRM dvds are good as well.

Yes they are expensive, but I have tons of DVD's and just can't get it right. I was thinking of doing P90x after I get all set with a trainer.

As far as the advice above thanks! I've looked into the YMCA and it's $50 an hour by us. I kinda live in the sticks so I don't have much to choose from. I'll do the warm up and cool down off the clock, great advice!
  • Adele
    Adele Posts: 159 Member
    What state do you live in? I live in Mass. I have the best trainer and it was the best thing I ever did for myself - I started out with 1 hour sessions, have been going to him since April of 2008 and now I only go to him for 1/2 hour sessions - I do my warm up, cool down on my own and we do not stop for that 1/2 hour.

I know it is expensive, but I kept telling myself, I will probably take that $$ and spend it on other things anyway, like food, clothes, entertainment, etc....

Good luck!!
    Adele :smile:
  • LisaZaugg1976
    LisaZaugg1976 Posts: 1,144 Member
    I had personal trainer last year and it was great just can not afford one right now.
  • jenzimmer
    What state do you live in? I live in Mass. I have the best trainer and it was the best thing I ever did for myself - I started out with 1 hour sessions, have been going to him since April of 2008 and now I only go to him for 1/2 hour sessions - I do my warm up, cool down on my own and we do not stop for that 1/2 hour.

I know it is expensive, but I kept telling myself, I will probably take that $$ and spend it on other things anyway, like food, clothes, entertainment, etc....

Good luck!!
    Adele :smile:
    I live in Wisconsin. It's about $55-60+ per hour and $30 for a half an hour. I'm thinking it's worth it to get rid of this muffin top! LOL! :)
  • Pattyisgr8
    Pattyisgr8 Posts: 104 Member
    I have seen a trainer for over a year now, I had one from Sept '08 - March '09 and I loved him, much more vocal, but still personable. Then he moved and now I work with "the hardest one they have" (I asked for it like that), and I see much more results and I put more in. Personally I liked my 1st trainer more, but I was really just maintaining, not losing. Bottom line, you have to make the effort and put the time in!
    Hope it helps, I pay $300 for 24 half hour sessions and I go 3x a week, (hope to drop to 1 day when I reach my goal weight).
  • jenzimmer
    I have seen a trainer for over a year now, I had one from Sept '08 - March '09 and I loved him, much more vocal, but still personable. Then he moved and now I work with "the hardest one they have" (I asked for it like that), and I see much more results and I put more in. Personally I liked my 1st trainer more, but I was really just maintaining, not losing. Bottom line, you have to make the effort and put the time in!
    Hope it helps, I pay $300 for 24 half hour sessions and I go 3x a week, (hope to drop to 1 day when I reach my goal weight).
    Ok that's like 12.50 per session! Sign me up! I can't find anything under 30 for an half an hour!
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    well I am really really broke, But I broke down and hired one of the trainers that the gym that I HAND PICKED, to train me once a month. Which doesnt sound like a lot, But I get alot from him when we are not training, He answers all my nutrition questions and my weight lifting and cardio . Tells me what to do what day ect.. he is a huge huge help. And also My girlfriend trains with him once a week and we share the info. IT works out get ..

good luck!
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    I have had a trainer and it was expensive but for me well worth it. He motivated me to go to the gym (can't skip the gym if he is waiting for me), taught me how to work out and how to eat right. I started with half hour lessons on an introductory program and then ending up buying full hour sessions.

Most gyms will probably offer special packages for new years. Also, some gyms will offer group training which is a cheaper option. I think 1/2 hr sessions are also a good idea, since they can still lead you with weight training and then you can go off and do cardio on your own. Just make sure you find the right trainer for you. I see a lot of trainers who treat their clients more like friends. I have had two very cute male trainers who I wanted to punch in the face after every session. They were ruthless, pushing me to my limits, but in the end that is what you are paying for.

Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Off topic, but just wanted to say Tami you look great! Way to go :smile:
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Off topic, but just wanted to say Tami you look great! Way to go :smile:

Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.