Too old to learn to run?

Options
carolemack
carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
I would like your opinion...I am 64 years old, have been changing my lifestyle since the beginning of the year, and have lost 52 pounds. I try to walk further and further every day. For the past couple of months I have been ending my walks by doing a little jogging behind my house (where no one can see me) and while I wouldn't set any speed records I have been able to jog for about 30 minutes at a time.

Now I think I would like to move it out to the real world so I went to a specialty shoe store in the search of good runners since I have been using just walking shoes. The person who waited on me told me she thought I was "too old really" to start to learn how to run. I was quite taken aback as this thought never crossed my mind. I have reverted to just walking and the treadmill.

Is she right? Is there a certain age past which one should not even think about learning to run? Does your weight have any thing to do with it? I currently weigh 193. I have both Rheaumatoid Arthritis and COPD, both of which have improved greatly from my change in lifestyle.

What is your opinion?

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Nobody is too old to run until they are dead. Ed Whitlock in Canada ran a 3 hr 15 min Marathon last year at 80 years old. That time would beat the vast majority of people of any age in a marathon.

Start slowly, build your strength and fitness, be consistant, and you will be amazed at what you will be able to do.

People don't stop running because they get old. They get old because they stop running.
  • KarenAnnne
    KarenAnnne Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Wow! First of all, what I think you are doing is great. Do you feel good when you are done? Do you smile? How do you feel the rest of the day? I'm asking this because it HAS to be the way you feel when you do this.

As long as you have no certain health conditions, I say go for it. Don't let some person that doesn't know you tell you that you are too old to do what you want to do.

If you are not harming yourself (underling health concerns) don't stop just because some teen tells your are too old. My mother is 68 and she walks about 2 miles every day.
  • Deedsie
    Deedsie Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I was passed by a guy who was 72 last Saturday in my 5k. He said that he has been running for about 2 years. I think the key is to avoid injury. Really look into foot striking, breathing patterns and correct training (not over training.) It might also be worth a trip to the doctor to see if they have any input. I personally only listen to shoe salespeople about what kind of shoes are the most fashionable currently.
  • EternalJourney
    Options
    My dad is almost 70 and he runs over 5km a day. You are never too old. Good luck! :heart:
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses! For the past month or so I have been able to walk 3 - 5 miles at a time...so with your encouragment...tomorrow I will start a plan of learning to run! Just with the walking alone I feel younger than I have in years. I can only imagine how good I will feel if I can actually run.:smile:
  • healthynotthin
    healthynotthin Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I say you're not too old at all to learn to run as long as there's nothing physically wrong with you - a friend of mine's doctor told him not to start running because of his back, but as long as there's not bone structure issues, go for it! Don't let anyone tell you you can't. Especially someone who works at an exercise-centric store. Good luck! <3
  • PatriceMG
    PatriceMG Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I can't believe someone would say you were too old to learn to run. That's ridiculous! Especially someone trying to sell running shoes! If your doctor says it's ok and it's improving your health issues, I say keep up the good work! You're never too old to start anything! Go for it!