Quinoa???

Options
McFatterton
McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
Anyone have any recipes for quinoa they could share???

Thanks so much!

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I just like using it as a side like you would rice. It has enough of its own flavor to not need any additions.
  • moujie
    moujie Posts: 229
    Options
    I toast some raw almond slivers and add them and craisins - makes a great quinoa pilaf!
  • kaytbognar
    Options
    for breakfast, I really like a bowl of warm quinoa with a handful of almonds and a drizzle of honey. Like oatmeal, but even better!

Also, check out: http://www.yogajournal.com/search?q=quinoa there's a bunch of tasty sounding recipes listed there, and I've never disliked any recipe I've gotten from yoga journal!
  • mavsfan2009
    mavsfan2009 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I've never had quinoa but I really like the idea of that breakfast recipe - I'll have to try it.
  • allisontaylor
    Options
    Mmmmm....I LOVE QUINOA! My favorite is to mix in frozen/thawed edamame (soy beans) and toss with a little soy sauce. It's delicious! Also, when I make mine, I add about a teaspoon to a tablespoon of coconut oil. It gives it a really nice texture and a little coconutty flavor. Doesn't add that many calories per serving and I think it's worth it. Also, I use a programmable rice cooker (about $40 at Target) where I can set it all up in the morning, set the timer, and it will be ready when I get home. You can even toss the edamame in while cooking (or nuts, fruit, veggies, etc.).
  • gigicandy
    Options
    i've had the red quinoa - w/diced onion & peppers, use veggie broth to steam, cracked pepper ....
  • cattiemac
    cattiemac Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I like to make mine with chicken, beef or vegetable broth in place of the water. Or if I want it as a main dish these are two of my faves:

Quinoa with Chickpeas
    8 servings

Ingredients
    2 cups quinoa
    4 cups vegetable stock
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 cup canned chick-peas
    1/4 cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped

Directions
    1. Cook quinoa according to package directions using vegetable stock in place of water and adding olive oil.
    2. Once cooked, fluff with fork and toss with chickpeas and parsley.
    3. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Nutritional Information
    Calories – 225
    Cholesterol – 0 mg
    Sodium – 99 mg
    Carbs – 36.2 g
    Fiber – 3.9 g
    Protein – 7.1 g

Quinoa and Black Beans
    10 servings

Ingredients
    1 teaspoon vegetable oil
    1 onion, chopped
    3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
    3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
    1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 cup frozen corn kernels
    2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Directions
    1. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, and saute until lightly browned.
    2. Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with vegetable broth. Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes,
    3. Stir frozen corn into the saucepan, and continue to simmer about 5 minutes until heated through. Mix in the black beans and cilantro.

Nutritional Information
    Calories – 152
    Cholesterol – 0 mg
    Sodium – 513 mg
    Carbs – 27.6 g
    Fiber – 7.7 g
    Protein – 7.7 g
  • shariguymon
    shariguymon Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is also very good cooked and then chilled and added to a spinach salad or mixed green salad with a lot of color. You can make a main dish salad with meat , Craisins , onions, etc. just whatever you like try a few sweet items, chopped apple,with the other flavors to balance it out.:happy:

Really fun to experiment with salads. My husband makes a wonderful spinach salad with black beans and a variety of other things that's really good. :love: :heart: :heart: We have been taking it to the potluck dinners lately and it's been a big hit!:bigsmile:
  • shariguymon
    shariguymon Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I like to make mine with chicken, beef or vegetable broth in place of the water. Or if I want it as a main dish these are two of my faves:

Quinoa with Chickpeas
    8 servings

Ingredients
    2 cups quinoa
    4 cups vegetable stock
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 cup canned chick-peas
    1/4 cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped

Directions
    1. Cook quinoa according to package directions using vegetable stock in place of water and adding olive oil.
    2. Once cooked, fluff with fork and toss with chickpeas and parsley.
    3. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Nutritional Information
    Calories – 225
    Cholesterol – 0 mg
    Sodium – 99 mg
    Carbs – 36.2 g
    Fiber – 3.9 g
    Protein – 7.1 g

Quinoa and Black Beans
    10 servings

Ingredients
    1 teaspoon vegetable oil
    1 onion, chopped
    3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
    3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
    1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 cup frozen corn kernels
    2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Directions
    1. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, and saute until lightly browned.
    2. Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with vegetable broth. Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes,
    3. Stir frozen corn into the saucepan, and continue to simmer about 5 minutes until heated through. Mix in the black beans and cilantro.

Nutritional Information
    Calories – 152
    Cholesterol – 0 mg
    Sodium – 513 mg
    Carbs – 27.6 g
    Fiber – 7.7 g
    Protein – 7.7 g

bump! Love quinoa:heart:
  • jljune
    jljune Posts: 59
    Options
    Hi! I love quinoa and sometimes use it as a pasta replacement but here is a great recipe if you have a Trader Joe's by you.

Ingredients:
    1 cup quinoa (prepared as manufacter suggests)
    1 cup ready-made lentils (heated in microwave accoring to directions)
    1 cup julienne sundried tomatoes packed in oil
    1 cup Trader Joe's Reduced Fat Cilantro Salad Dressing

Directions:
    Combine all ingredients and serve hot or cold (I personally prefer hot!) Enjoy!
  • gympamela
    gympamela Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I tried to like quinoa, but I cant choke it down- it SMELLS bad! I tried cooking it every way possible, but the best was when I cooked it in low sodium fat free chicken broth.
  • quinnybear
    Options
    I tried to like quinoa, but I cant choke it down- it SMELLS bad! I tried cooking it every way possible, but the best was when I cooked it in low sodium fat free chicken broth.

did you soak/rinse it REALLY good before you cooked it? you have to soak it in cold water for 5 minutes then rinse it a few times to remove the outer layer that is really bitter. I cooked it once without doing this and it was hard to eat, then I read up on quinoa and learned about the rinsing and it tastes so much better!
  • Lauralovesmfp
    Lauralovesmfp Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Tastes amazing in soups (in place of noodles or rice)
  • gympamela
    gympamela Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I didnt rinse it- must have been why it smelled so awful and tasted so weird. I was wondering how something so popular could be so nasty LMAO!
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Quinoa and veggies used to stuff winter squash .... yum. =) I like to season it with savory spices like cumin, chili powder, and a little garlic.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    thanks for starting the p[ost i never tried it and just bought some!!!
  • Arleah
    Arleah Posts: 15
    Options
    I just had a great Quinoa salad the other day. It was red quinoa with diced red pepper, green onion, corn kernals, fresh squeezed lime, and fresh cilantro with a bit of olive oil on a bed of baby spinach yummy :tongue:
  • mavsfan2009
    mavsfan2009 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    When I make quinoa it always ends up really mushy - is that how its supposed to be?

Anyways, there was a quinoa recipe in this month's Shape magazine. I made it last night and it was AWESOME. I don't have it with me right now, but I'll post it up when I have it.
  • LivinTheLife
    Options
    Hey Sara, here’s a Quinoa Salad recipe that I found on our SaladCenter website. Let me know what you think =)

Quinoa Salad

Prep Time: 5 min * Total Time: 1 hr * Makes: 8 servings, 3/4 cup each

1 cup quinoa, uncooked
    1 can (14.5 oz.) chicken broth
    1 can (11 oz.) corn, drained
    1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed, drained
    5 green onions, sliced
    6 slices OSCAR MAYER Baked Cooked Ham, finely chopped
    1/2 cup KRAFT Zesty Italian Dressing
    1 red pepper, chopped

BRING quinoa and broth to boil in medium saucepan; cover. Simmer on low 15 min. or until broth is absorbed. Cool.

MIX quinoa with remaining ingredients just before serving.

Here's the link to the recipe and Nutritional values:
    http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes/quinoa-salad-113644.aspx
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Hey Sara - I love garlic quinoa with lentils. very easy and totally delish!