Joggin Outside vs. Treadmill

Options
I am wondering why I tire so much more quickly when I am jogging outside. The treadmill is more boring to me but I seem to be able to jog longer and farther. Today it was 50 outside and a wind of 13mph. Even when there is no wind it seems tougher than the tread mill. Any data on this??? Might I be using more calories outside? :happy:

Just wondering.

Replies

• poeticjustice_2001
    Options
    That's because outside is generally a harder surface. I'm not sure about the exact number, but you are putting XX more impact on your body running outside vs. on the treadmill. The machine is designed to facilitate the running motion (with a shock absorbant surface and a rotating belt). Does that make sense?

Happy running!

286730.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart
  • ELM77
    ELM77 Posts: 10
    Options
    also, unless you are on an incline setting during your treadmill workouts, you most likely are getting a different workout outside where there are hills then indoors. Great progress by the way! :)
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I read a blurb last night in Runners World magazine that running on a treadmill at 1% incline helps similiate the difference in the wind resistance from outdoors to treadmill.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Running outside includes wind, rain, surface change, temp, etc. It is much different than running inside. It is more stable.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    yes, the main difference is usually uneven road conditions and wind resistance. The surface of a road requires your body to (unconsciously) constantly adjust your balance (using your core), which isn't a lot per second, but cumulative can add 10 to 20% energy expenditure over an extended period. Wind resistance, even as little as 3 mph wind, combined with your speed (usually 4to 7 mph at a moderate jog) can be up to 10 mph in your face, which can force you to add 20% more power to your jog. Higher wind, and hills can make it even worse.
  • Hoosiermomma
    Hoosiermomma Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the info. :flowerforyou: It makes sense. I was running in a 12 mph wind and i am sure that had plenty to do with the extra work(out.) I supposee this means that when I get on the treadmill I should be running a little farther or at least try an incline. Should I ease the incline up slowly? I notice my knees achee sooner when I use any kind of an incline while running. Guess i just have to use trial and error. So far I have been able to avoid injury. I would so much rather keep working my way up moderately than over-do it and have to take a break!
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I read a blurb last night in Runners World magazine that running on a treadmill at 1% incline helps similiate the difference in the wind resistance from outdoors to treadmill.
    took the words right out of my mouth!!!!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the info. :flowerforyou: It makes sense. I was running in a 12 mph wind and i am sure that had plenty to do with the extra work(out.) I supposee this means that when I get on the treadmill I should be running a little farther or at least try an incline. Should I ease the incline up slowly? I notice my knees achee sooner when I use any kind of an incline while running. Guess i just have to use trial and error. So far I have been able to avoid injury. I would so much rather keep working my way up moderately than over-do it and have to take a break!

yes and no. running at an incline helps simulate wind resistance, but it also increases pressure on your joints because you are running at a different angle relative to down, be careful with that, If I were you I'd alternate with incline and flat, you know, like maybe every 3 minutes switch, that will give your knees and hips a break.
  • Hoosiermomma
    Options
    Thanks for the info, I'll be trying that!

HoosierM
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    I think the best place for me is a track.

Its not as boring as a tread and the surface is pretty good for your feet.

Running on a tread is BORING
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options

Tell me about it - 6 miles on the DREADMILL yesterday - HOPING for clear skies Saturday when I do my 7 miles.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options

Tell me about it - 6 miles on the DREADMILL yesterday - HOPING for clear skies Saturday when I do my 7 miles.

I'd rather run 6 miles in the freezing cold then on a tread lol
  • Hoosiermomma
    Options
    Thanks for the info, I'll be trying that!

HoosierM

Bump -trying to figure out how to use these silly quotes!:grumble:
  • Hoosiermomma
    Options
    Wind resistance, even as little as 3 mph wind, combined with your speed (usually 4to 7 mph at a moderate jog) can be up to 10 mph in your face, which can force you to add 20% more power to your jog. Higher wind, and hills can make it even worse.

Can I cut out part of the quote?

Yep it worked! Coolio!
  • denny4
    denny4 Posts: 11
    Options
    The trainer in the Fitness Center at my hospital also shared with me: When you run outside, you have to use your leg muscles to push off to propel yourself forward vs just moving your legs on the treadmill (if you're using an electric one). Treadmills also have some shock absorbancy in them and are more cushionin on the joints. I've been trying to jog a bit during my walks on the treadmill. WOuld like to complete a 1/2 marathon later this year so I'm dreading changing from the treadmill to the road.
  • Jessica68
    Jessica68 Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    I've been training on the treadmill for a few months now, started at 206 pds and am now in the 180's, when I went outside and ran a 5k course on the pavement I was expecting as good as timing as I do on the treadmill, but nope..it was way way slower! It is very different in that you aren't getting PUSHED through your runs like a belt does, you actually have to push yourself! So its different.

But I'm grateful for the treadmill - it assisted me in training safely and dropping pounds. Now its time to get outside since I need to get ready for some outdoor races coming up!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    yes, the main difference is usually uneven road conditions and wind resistance. The surface of a road requires your body to (unconsciously) constantly adjust your balance (using your core), which isn't a lot per second, but cumulative can add 10 to 20% energy expenditure over an extended period. Wind resistance, even as little as 3 mph wind, combined with your speed (usually 4to 7 mph at a moderate jog) can be up to 10 mph in your face, which can force you to add 20% more power to your jog. Higher wind, and hills can make it even worse.

Banks, that would explain why I get so much more tired when running on ice/snow. My balance is probably even more off so I'm doing more "work" and therefor feel it more than I would if it were a flat surface- I never run on a treadmill, but running on a flat, dry sidewalk has got to be different than running on a snowy, icy, slippery one!