Recipe Gone Wrong

Options
So I was feeling a bit homesick and decided to make a healthy version of my Aunt's Asian PB Pasta with some natural PB vs. regular, olive oil vs. vegetable, low sodium vs. regular soy sauce and stevia vs. sugar. End result was tasty BUT calling it "healthy" is a bit of a stretch. Each serving is still a ridiculous amount of calories because of the amounts of oils AND because I ran out of soy and used Dale's reduced sodium. I thought they were relatively the same. They are not. And, of course, I had a box of spaghetti I knew I wouldn't use for any other reason and so I doubled the normal recipe thinking I could store or freeze for future meals.

I am now stuck with loads of this stuff. One serving is about 2/3 of my calorie count for the day. I don't know if I can brnig myself to eat it but I hate the thought of throwing it out. I wasn't born during the great depression but I might as well have been because I hate wasting food. I have frozen it for now but am tempted to just throw it away......

What do you do when a recipe goes off course/off plan?

Replies

• saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    If a recipe goes off course, I try to do my best saving it. Then again, almost 99% of the time, I never follow a recipe. I always have to add my own unique twist to it. Maybe that is what you need to do. I've failed at first attempt recipes and sometimes the second time.
  • ccbennett2000
    ccbennett2000 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I typically do the same. I am just not sure what to add that would reduce calories and fat. I thought about adding more noodles or a vegetable and increasing the number of servings which would reduce the calories and fat per serving...but not by much. I am feeling like this one is a lost cause and/or it's one of those dishes just made for a cheat day only.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    How big is a serving? Can you half or quarter it as a side dish with a salad for dinner? Is there anyone that else that eats it that will enjoy it? Maybe keep it for your cheat meal at the end of the week and do a bit of extra exercise so you can indulge in your tasty treat.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I'd toss it. I could pretend I'm going to eat it and put it in my fridge until little blue fuzz appears and then throw it. But it's just best to dump it now.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I typically do the same. I am just not sure what to add that would reduce calories and fat. I thought about adding more noodles or a vegetable and increasing the number of servings which would reduce the calories and fat per serving...but not by much. I am feeling like this one is a lost cause and/or it's one of those dishes just made for a cheat day only.

why don't you post the recipe and maybe we can help you tone it down?
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Maybe eat it as a side dish with some nice grilled shrimp or chicken? Only eat half a serving? Think of it as good fats and move on (and eat it)? Just a few thoughts...
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Can you thin it out with more veggies, bringing the calories per serving down?
  • ccbennett2000
    ccbennett2000 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I tried thinning it out with broccoli but it only cut down on the calories a little bit. I think I might use as a side dish....maybe the next time we have company so I can get rid of it faster :)
  • jgunn81
    jgunn81 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    If a recipe goes off course, I try to do my best saving it. Then again, almost 99% of the time, I never follow a recipe. I always have to add my own unique twist to it. Maybe that is what you need to do. I've failed at first attempt recipes and sometimes the second time.

This...like others have said, try to get more servings or use as a side...don't be afraid to "wing it" in the kitchen though, I've found that when i just pull a dish out of my *kitten*, it usually comes out better than any recipe i would have followed
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    How big is a serving? Can you half or quarter it as a side dish with a salad for dinner? Is there anyone that else that eats it that will enjoy it? Maybe keep it for your cheat meal at the end of the week and do a bit of extra exercise so you can indulge in your tasty treat.

This is what I was also thinking. Just make the serving smaller and enjoy with a healthier side.