Bikram YOGA!

Options
Hey My MFP friends!

I am thinking about doing bikram yoga when I finish my rockin body workout plan. Does anyone have any tips or experience I really want to work on my flexibility and be more in touch with my health and body.

Replies

• bethanne60
    bethanne60 Posts: 18
    Options
    While on vacation my daughter and I did bikram 3 times...it was a very interesting experience and I actually liked it. It was very hot and overwhelming at first...if you have the option get a spot near the door or a window..our instructor opened the door several times to bring the temp down... so you get the first feel from the door! Also make sure your towel is a beach towel size...one day we brought some from the hotel and because it didn't cover the whole yoga mat we puddled! lol

I am looking for classes around here...leaving the sessions left me relaxed and content! (and a sweating fool)
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love bikram yoga. Make sure you get a microfiber pad for your yoga mat! It gets so hot and sweaty, the mat(and you) gets slippery!! I haven't practiced in awhile but I really enjoyed it!

Like the PP said, get a place by the door and bring a large bottle of ice water!!

Edited: Sorry PP I didn't notice your beachtowel suggestion! Good one!
  • EuroReady
    EuroReady Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I heard the poses are even more difficult/extreme in and of themselves. Is this true? I've always wanted to try it but I'd need entry level poses.
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I heard the poses are even more difficult/extreme in and of themselves. Is this true? I've always wanted to try it but I'd need entry level poses.

Not in my experience. But the amount of sun salutations were crazy!!! The nice thing about bikram is that you NEED to go to a studio. The instructor will modify poses for you and watch you. Just let s/he know that you are a beginner to bikram.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 732 Member
    Options

The poses in the Bikram series are classified as "beginner" -- you won't have any problems. There is a wide variation in age and body types among the people that take the classes.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options

Not in my experience. But the amount of sun salutations were crazy!!! The nice thing about bikram is that you NEED to go to a studio. The instructor will modify poses for you and watch you. Just let s/he know that you are a beginner to bikram.

True Bikram has no sun salutations. There are a lot of other hot yoga studios, though. His specific series of poses is copyrighted.

It's challenging as heck but it's fine for beginners. You just do your best and sit out as needed. In my experience there are people of all ages, skill levels and from all ends of the weight spectrum, usually. I did go to one studio that was all pretty hard core yogis sometimes but no one is judge-y.

“Its never too late, you're never too sick, and you're never too old to start from scratch once again. ” – Bikram Choudhury
  • New_Keeley
    New_Keeley Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I did my first Bikram yoga class this morning.

The heat was pretty intense and I was sweating before the class began. The first half of the session is hardest as that's the cardio part.... I felt sick, dizzy, nearly passed out twice but you just sit down for a min, gather yourself and carry on. Second half is much more enjoyable!

I drank over about a litre of water in the class so make sure you take enough.... You'll need it!!! I've also drank 6 pints since I came out and still drinking!

You'll sweat more than you ever imagined!

I'm going back tomorrow ;-)
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i've been tempted to take my laptop outside and do some yoga in the yard (since its so hot out recently!)
    but i don't want my neighbours to see me haha.
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    I want to try Yoga but this version doesn't appeal to me at all because I hate sweating that much.

It makes me feel dizzy and irritable and has the opposite of a calming affect on me.

I want it to be strengthening, meditative, peaceful and relaxing.
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Stop eating 2 hours before. Drink enough water throughout the day but drink sparingly about an hour before (a lot of poses are uncomfortable with a full bladder).

Listen to your body, not just the instructor! You really have to focus internally. Don't push your body further than you think it can go. (I hurt my back for weeks because I didn't heed this advice).

If you're feeling way too overwhelmed, it's completely acceptable to just lay on your mat. Calm your breathing! Focus on your breathing and you'll get through it.

It's completely euphoric at the end! Enjoy!
  • Sofithomas
    Sofithomas Posts: 118
    Options
    Bikram yoga is incredible physically and mentally, I try make it a stsple part of my routine - need to go back since I've been on holiday!
  • Ellyabell
    Ellyabell Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I really love Bikram Yoga, but I really like it hot as well. I would totally recommend trying it. For me it is much better than other Yoga, because the heat helps to relax the muscles, so stretching gets easier. And I need to be sweaty after a workout, otherwise I don't feel satisfied. If you have back problems it's very good as well. Just take it easy the first few lessons and see if you like it. Feel free to ask any further questions.
  • EuroReady
    EuroReady Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I decided to sign up for a 30 day pass with some friends as soon as I get paid. I'll let you know how it goes, but I am WAY, WAY intimidated.