Hard Boiled Eggs

Options
I've been new to the whole dieting scene lately and thinking about breakfast wise and was wondering if eating hard boiled eggs without the yolk is healthy. Or should I eat the yolk for the fats and stuff it gives? A friend said without the yolks but not entirely sure.

Replies

• mindidily
    mindidily Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I say eat them! I have two for breakfast most mornings myself.
  • shynquiet1
    Options
    I eat 2 or 3 boiled egg whites for bfast almost every day. My trainer suggested them becasue they are a great source of protein with minimal calories (17 for 1 large egg white). The yolk has fat and the calorie count will go up considerably. But If you like the yolks you could try eating 1 whole egg and a couple whites only. I'm currently reading "The Skinny Rules" by Bob from the Biggest Loser. He suggests 2 whites and whole egg for woman and 4 whites and 1 whole egg for men for bfast.

Hope this helps!
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Eat them! you are only talking 80 calories!
  • bserwack
    bserwack Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I eat them. The yolk has more calories & fat but also all of the vitamins B2, B12, D and Iron. Are you more concerned with low calories or getting enough nutrients? Also, I don't think it would be very filling without the yolk...

Here is a brief comparrison from FitSugar: http://www.fitsugar.com/Egg-Whites-vs-Whole-Eggs-7291034
  • ellie0213
    ellie0213 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Eat the whole egg. In fact to make them really excellent fry them in coconut oil :happy:
  • brewface811
    brewface811 Posts: 106
    Options
    I eat the whole thing! They fill me up longer :)
  • siriusalien
    siriusalien Posts: 207
    Options
    Eat the whole darn egg. The yolk IS the source of nutrients., not the whites. The myth that egg yolks raise cholesterol was debunked years ago.
  • oldmanstauf
    oldmanstauf Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    If you like the taste, eat them. A lot of people are scared due to misinformation.
  • stephanieb72
    stephanieb72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    poach em!
  • mrsheu
    mrsheu Posts: 30
    Options
    One egg yolk has around half the recommended daily limits of cholesterol for a healthy person. I love eggs, but I try to limit myself to 14 whole eggs per week, with no limitations for the egg whites.
  • savageman69
    savageman69 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    One egg yolk has around half the recommended daily limits of cholesterol for a healthy person. I love eggs, but I try to limit myself to 14 whole eggs per week, with no limitations for the egg whites.

Dont listen to this egg cholesterol has NOTHING to do with your body cholesterol except its been proven eggs will lower your bad cholesterol numbers so long as your in your calorie goals eat as many as you like....and fat doesnt make you fat i wish people would get over this
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    The yolk has all the vitamins, iron, etc. in it. It is good for you. If you have the calories then eat them. If you don't then don't.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole thing! They fill me up longer :)

This. I eat at least 2 eggs a day, most of the time hard boiled. I slice them up, put them on toast and splash some hot sauce on them. Yummy. It's less then 200 calories, packs some great macro and micro nutrients and keeps me full for a while.

Eggs are so versatile though, don't just eat them boiled. You can make all kinds of dishes so you'll never get bored with them.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Eat the whole egg! Why waste the part that is the best for you? Most of the nutrition is in the yolk, so if you throw it away, you are throwing away the part that is actually healthy.

Also, dietary cholesterol has little to nothing to do with blood cholesterol levels. So, not worry so much about that!
  • ameoc76
    ameoc76 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole egg. The yolk only has 5 grams of fat so it's nothing to worry about.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    When you eat out, you can always get an egg-white omelet ....... in the meantime, why waste a perfectly good yolk ?

I have one HB egg each morning with a bit of hot sauce & some raw or sauteed veggies ..... been doing this for 3 years now & I love it :drinker:
  • vegasmari
    vegasmari Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I say go for it. I'd probably eat one hard boiled egg and lots of time for breakfast I'll have egg whites scrambled, and then you really don't miss the yolk at all, as long as you add seasoning :)
  • swkittrell
    swkittrell Posts: 48
    Options
    I say go for it I eat 1 to 2 hard boiled eggs every day. When grocery shopping you can buy them already boiled and peeled. They are really good and this saves me a lot of time.
  • lindsy721
    lindsy721 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I eat the yolks, sometimes I just eat the whiles. Depends on the goal for that meal. With breakfast, I usually have 2 scrambled eggs - yolks and all... and then the rest of the day, just hard boil some eggs and just eat the whites for their protein.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    The yolk is the most nutritious part, the yolk has just as much protein as the white, plus a TON of nutrients, while the white has protein, and no nutrients.