Help with Protein

Options
fitmomto2
fitmomto2 Posts: 15 Member
Please suggest ways to pick up protein in my (picky) diet!

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    What are your pickinesses?
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    i need it too, but i don't want the powders everyone talks of.
  • fitmomto2
    Options
    I eat certain veggies (corn, collards, beans and peas), most fruit, chicken, fish, pork, willing to do the turkey.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    If you will eat dairy, Greek Yogurt and Cottage Cheese are both pretty high in protein.

In what you list Chicken breasts are a great source of lean protein as are fish. Lean cuts of pork are also a good choice.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    OK- dairy?
    2 % Greek yogurt (23g/cup- 150cals)
    2% Cottage Cheese (11g/90 cals)
    Mozzerella string cheese as snacks (8 g/60 cals)

Protein supplements obviously- mine is 120 cals/26 g protein- I add it to my oatmeal every morning- you don't have to have them in shake form
  • kyrstin__1188
    kyrstin__1188 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I like turkey burgers. They have a good amount of protein in them :)
  • fitmomto2
    Options
    Oh yeah, yuck on the yogurt and cottage cheese! Lol! What about cheddar cheese?
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    edamame, love the seapoint farms brand..both dried and frozen
    Dannon fat free greek yogurt
    cabot 75% fat free cheddar cheese
    barbecue soy nuts

:)
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I'm working on it myself and even at 1900 cals per day I'm having a hard time eating enough so I am forced to take about 37g per day in shake form and still falling short for P90X lol
  • MoreBean13
    Options

Cheddar works, it's just generally pretty calorie dense. There are lower fat and even fat free versions- I'm not brave enough to try them. I'm very skeptical of fat free cheeses!
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    I'm working on it myself and even at 1900 cals per day I'm having a hard time eating enough so I am forced to take about 37g per day in shake form and still falling short for P90X lol

Are you doing the 50% protein diet? I don't know how anyone can meet that- it's crazy!
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I try to eat low fat, high protein options. I eat massive amounts of grilled chicken breast, low sodium ham is also very high in protein, and extra lean ground beef can be good as well (although you didn't mention beef). Fish can also be a really good choice (although I personally loathe it)! Basically, lean cuts of meat from any animal are a great source of concentrated protein. Greek yogurt can be very good as well. There are other options such as milk, cheese, eggs, nuts, but I have to watch the natural amount of fat in them.

Supplements make it easier to reach your protein requirements if you are struggling to eat enough protein within your regular foods. I have a fairly high protein requirement (I should be getting over 200g of protein a day) and it's a struggle some days... I feel like I might turn into a chicken from the amount I eat!
  • TheRoseQueen
    TheRoseQueen Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Cheddar cheese does have protein....but it also has lots of fat (the bad kind)....That has been our downfall. Check out nuts and beans...they do have fat (but I believe it is the good kind) --- but a good source of protein. Unfortunately, what I have found is that protein and fat almost go hand in hand with one another.... Maybe someone has thoughts on why the 'fats' in nuts and beans are better for you when dieting than the kind found in cheeses and especially beef.
  • taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    i got 160 grams of protein today, check my diary. it was a lazy weekend day though, i grazed rather then ate meals
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Cheese are great sources of protein, just remember they also have higher amounts of fats. So be careful not to over due it.

How about eggs? I use egg whites for omelets. Hard boiled eggs are also a great snack with a sargento reduced fat sharp cheddar stick.

Salmon burgers are also a great quick way to get your protein. For example tonight I had a salad with - baby greens, salmon burger diced up, hard boiled egg diced up and feta crumbles that meal was about 33 grams of protein.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    Cheddar cheese does have protein....but it also has lots of fat (the bad kind)....That has been our downfall. Check out nuts and beans...they do have fat (but I believe it is the good kind) --- but a good source of protein. Unfortunately, what I have found is that protein and fat almost go hand in hand with one another.... Maybe someone has thoughts on why the 'fats' in nuts and beans are better for you when dieting than the kind found in cheeses and especially beef.

I don't believe that notion at all, except for people who are on doctor prescribed low cholesterol diets. I believe the only "bad" fats are lab created ones, including hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils and vegetable oils like canola and vegetable oils. Saturated fats from eggs, cheese, coconut oil, palm oil or other natural sources are generally good for you unless you have a medical condition that disallows these fats.

But there's no denying that fat has a lot of calories, 9cal/g compared to carbs and protein at about 4cal/g each. So fat is more difficult to fit in to a low calorie diet- but it makes your diet so much more satiating!
  • fitmomto2
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Beef is an option. I'm not sure what soy nuts are but I'll look for them to try. I don't like eggs either, : (.
  • mstifb
    mstifb Posts: 230
    Options
    I LOVE the Greek yogurts, which have double the protein as regular yogurts but taste basically the same! And there's lots of flavors too and you can find them at Walmart! Oikos and Chobani are really good brands!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Beef is an option. I'm not sure what soy nuts are but I'll look for them to try. I don't like eggs either, : (.

i think you're going to have to start changing your taste buds and eating stuff you dont like.

i'm going for 40% protein and it can be hard at times since i have to eat more meat than i'd personally like to eat, but them's the breaks
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options

Try Breakstone 2 percent cottage cheese in the 4 oz packages - I didn't like it either, but this I like with carrot sticks or with pretzels. Ground turkey is good for taco salads, mix it with shredded reduced fat cheddar and grill spices to make a burger, use it for American Chop Suey. I make a whole turkey or hotel style breast for dinner one night and the leftover meat I put in chili. If you don't like Greek Yogurt, try blending plain Greek yogurt, 3 packages of Stevia in the Raw sweetener, a dash of milk, and frozen strawberries or red raspberries. It makes either a shake or frozen treat depending on how much milk you use. My FAVORITE is grilled chicken on top of a fiber one tortilla with sauce, reduced fat shredder cheddar, and barbecue sauce cooked on a pizza stone. Perfect Pizza!