Looking for runners & triathletes

Options
Hey there!

I'm new to MFP and I'd love to have some fellow runners and triathletes on my friends list to share workout information and for general motivation.

I completed marathons and half marathons years ago, but then when I started my family, I stopped training altogether. Over those years, I've also put on some weight. ENOUGH! Time to get back on track. Now that my kids are older and a little more self-sufficient, I can get back into it again.

Last month (June), I participated in a 10km and a Tri-a-Tri. I thought I would shed the weight easily with the training. And while my fitness has improved - I couldn't even run for 2 minutes just 3 months ago - I only managed to maintain my weight. So I'm hoping that MFP will be the extra tool I need to help me train for the half AND shed the weight!!

Any advice about half-marathon training while losing weight would be much appreciated too!!

Looking forward to getting to know you!!

Replies

• tngfordisney
    tngfordisney Posts: 115
    Options
    Feel free to add me as a friend. I am a wanna be runner and have considered trying a Tri but I am not a good swimmer. I barely passed the swim test to get in the Coast Guard and luckily I never went overboard.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Would love to have more runner and trathlete friends! It's so nice to be able to share training tips and stories with like minded people. I started running several years ago as part of the weight loss process, with a bit of coaxing from my trainer at the time. I've now done many 5ks and 10ks, and this year did two half marathons. I did my first sprint tri two years ago. and several more since then. I've been training for and will do my first olympic distance next week (starting to freak out a little about that one). After that it's a couple more sprints, then a couple half marathons in the fall.
  • schotas
    schotas Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, too. I have done 3 half marathons, several 5Ks, and I'd love to do a tri sometime. I am just getting back to running after a month off due to an injury, so it feels like I am starting over again. One day at a time, right? :happy:
  • kaylarachellee
    kaylarachellee Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Add me! I have done several half marathons and two full marathons... and have done part of a tri with 3 people. :)
  • juliep1974
    juliep1974 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me too! I've been running 5k off and on for years. I have done 3 sprint tris and am training for an olympic distance in two weeks. I'm a little scared - its definitely the biggest physical challenge I've given myself but it will be a great way to celebrate my 38th birthday. I don't log food too often these days (no time and I'm not actively trying to lose weight while training anyway). I do log my workouts though. Happy training!
  • healthynotthin
    healthynotthin Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Runner here! 3-4 times a week I run, working on upping my caloric intake to equal that of what I expend. I run generally 5 miles, some mornings more if I'm not working, some less if I'm tired. I'd love to be a triathlete but I'm not cut out for swimming! I do bike a lot though. And my nutrition needs work, yes. Working on it! Feel free to add me, I love new friends to compare exercise to!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I'm an ex-runner who's been reborn a runner!
  • brazelmama
    brazelmama Posts: 25
    Options
    Runner here, ran several half marathons and I'm training for a sprint tri in the fall. Feel free to add me. Currently doing Insanity to help with some weight loss.
  • sorrelduncan
    sorrelduncan Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Runner and mother of 3! Training for my first marathon - St. Jude's in Memphis, December 1. Also struggling to lose weight while training.