Sleep time and weight

Options
Hello all,

I normally sleep around 7 hours a night - however, last night I slept 9 hours and every other time I had a weight loss in the morning has been when I slept over 8 hours. (I have a fitbit so it keeps track)

Was just wondering if anyone else finds a correlation?

Replies

• vklebanova
    vklebanova Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    bump
  • doneatfour
    doneatfour Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    There was a couple of weeks where I weighed myself several times a day just to see how my weight fluctuates. I found a pattern that when I get less than 6 or so hours of sleep, my weight in the morning is similar to what it was the night before (after all my eating for the day). I wait a couple more hours, then weigh again and I usually see a DROP in weight from the morning. Don't notice this happening when I have had plenty of sleep. When I've slept well, my weight is usually down from the night before (but not always from the day before--I wish!) I usually only weigh once a day unless I had little sleep. Then I weigh myself around mid-day to see if it drops. Or if I want to prepare myself for an expected gain, I weigh at night, too. Since I frequently have insomnia, I also noticed that weighing in the middle of the night gives me the same weight as after I had eaten/drank everything for the day. I read this has something to do with some hormone we release during deep sleep, but I'm not sure how correct that is. :)
  • mtsips
    mtsips Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have noticed the exact same thing.
    If i could sleep in all mornings i would - im always lighter on the scales after long sleeps as opposed to a normal earlier wake up.

What a good reason for a lay in!
  • LifetimeCommitmenttoMyself130
    Options
    Does anybody know if there is a way to record what time you go to bed and what time you get up on MFP? I can't find anywhere to do that, but I sure would like to!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i've been reading that not getting enough sleep is a contributing factor to weight storage,
    i think i generally need 9-10 hours of sleep, but who has time for that :laugh: i try for 8 and will try to have 1 day where i catch up (usually sundays)
  • jadedzen
    jadedzen Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    bump cause i am interested in this conversation but have little to contribute other than my body gets lower quality sleep if i go to bed very late
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I seem to lose more (and be able to get a better workout) on days I get 8 to 8.5 hours of sleep. I also wish there was a spot to add bedtime and wake time. I started adding it in the notes at one point, but then you can't see a report to track over time. Does anyone have an idea on how to do this?
  • Jjmcgaffey
    Jjmcgaffey Posts: 15
    Options
    Look at Check-in from your home page - you can add any measurement you want. If you track sleep minutes (track time to bed and time awake, then calculate the minutes and enter that) you'll get a nice graph.

Or if you have the money to spare, get a Fitbit. I use it (and so does the OP) - it's an excellent pedometer, that tracks stairs as well, and it can track sleep time. It costs about $100, but I think it was worth it. It's better than my old Omron pedometer (except I have to go on the web or my phone to see previous days' steps etc) and tracks things the pedometer couldn't. I use the Fitbit website to see activity records and sleep, and track food and water here. But when I connected the Fitbit to my MFP account, I automatically got Fitbit-tracked sleep minutes as a measurement under Check-in, and Fitbit steps as well.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Hate to ask, but:

If you have a change in weight because you slept longer, is it because you also had a BM and then weighed yourself? But if you had not slept as long, then it was not time for a BM so you weighed heavier?

I do not like to weigh until I have gone potty in the morning!!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    i've been reading that not getting enough sleep is a contributing factor to weight storage,
    i think i generally need 9-10 hours of sleep, but who has time for that :laugh: i try for 8 and will try to have 1 day where i catch up (usually sundays)

There is definitely a connection. When I don't get enough sleep I gain. My last 10-15 or so pounds that pushed me to my highest weight cam during a 4-6 week period where I was sleeping 6 hours a night. (This happened in late November/December of last year). My food intake might have changed a bit, i.e. I added an extra cup of coffee most days, so that contributed an extra 300 calories a week, but obviously not enough to gain 15 pounds.

Definitely keep up your sleep, it is very important.
  • vklebanova
    vklebanova Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I weigh after using the potty every morning (regardless of when I wake up). I consume absolutely nothing - go to the bathroom, use it, brush my teeth etc, and then take off all my clothes and get on the scale. I find it's the most accurate and the best way to compare.

Some people say weighing yourself everyday is unnecessary but I like to see even the minor changes. For instance, If I eat dinner close to bed time, my morning weight is higher than if I eat a meal at least 3 hours before bed time.. regardless of how much sleep I get.

My fitbit was totally worth the $100 I paid for it. It tracks everything and links very nicely with MFP. I've used other pedometers in the past but this puts everything together. I also got the fitbit aria scale... this tracks my weight and body fat % and syncs automatically to the site every time I get on the scale - this makes it even easier to keep track of how different factors affect my weight.

Either way - glad to see I'm not the only one!