Wheatbelly...? Wheat, the UNHEALTHY wholegrain?!

Options

Replies

• HisChild2011
    HisChild2011 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I typically don't eat foods like wheat or wholegrain breads because of it all being so processed. But I don't notice much of a difference.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel 4:9 “Take wheat and barley, beans and lentils, millet and spelt; put them in a storage jar and use them to make bread for yourself. "

If it's good enough for the Lord, it's good enough for me. :)

LOVE IT!

from what I understand God rejected Cain's offering of bread and accepted Abel's offering of a fat lamb.

This is true, but he only rejected it because he had specifically asked for a living sacrifice. This was not in reference to dietary needs, this was a foreshadowing/ symbolic prophesy of the "Lamb of God," being sacrificed on the cross.
  • MrsGreenTea703
    MrsGreenTea703 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    When I started Paleo, I discovered that I was gluten intolerant, because I felt so, so much better! I don't eat wheat anymore. I eat other grains on rare occasions. I feel ten years younger.

There's really no need to argue about it (or base opinions on NOT having read the book, that's just odd). Just try it for 30 days, and see how you feel. If you feel better, keep doing it. If it makes no difference to you, go back to eating wheat. No big deal.

Couldn't have put it better, agree totally!

^^^ This!!!

Exactly!! What do you have to lose?
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options

I don't know about the rest of you, but I got fat because I ate too much. Not because I ate a piece of whole grain toast every morning.

Exactly!! For me the common sense diet works the best. Not flawless, I admit, but ultimately it's the "diet" I can keep doing for ever.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I eat wheat, and have been fit and healthy my whole life (until injury).

Unless you're gluten intolerant it should not cause a problem. Everyone gets bloated by this, that or the other...some say veggies, some say grains, some say pulses, and i'm sure others say meat. A little bit of bloating is part of digestion. Feeling full and heavy is part of digestion.

The scientific consensus and millenia of history suggest that wheat is good for you, so eat up if you don't display the symptoms of celiac.

Bloating and feeling heavy should not be accepted as a normal part of digestion. Feeling bloated and heavy is not normal and indicates something is going on within the digestion system.

Most likely leaky gut or a disruption in gut flora is the cause, but grains and a lot of vegetables will exacerbate the issue and make it worse. That is where consuming fermented foods will help with probiotics to ease the bloating.
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    This thread makes my head hurt.
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    My Dad and I both have Celiac Disease , and we both are allergic to cow's milk too. We both had skin problems and rotten guts and they told us it was everything else in the book for the longest time.
    Dad cut dairy 1st and started feeling better then we both cut wheat and he lost weight and his skin got nicer (it was all covered with red angry looking peeling bumps sorry so gross) and for us it's helped a lot.
    I ached all the time and had a super bloated belly that made me look pregnant and my body never had enough nutrients and I had deficiency issues all the time .

Wheat is harder to digest..takes longer and that's why it's beloved in the health community and it has vitamin B like crazy so this is another reason why it's loved. You feel fuller longer with wheat because , well you are still trying to digest it all for folks like me with an allergy it turns into an angry bloated mess and causes some embarrassing situations but for some folks it's not that bad .

I eat corn and rice pasta and it's very nice. I also love almond flour. Anyway..good luck :flowerforyou:
  • jenniferg83
    jenniferg83 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    interesting, bump
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Well, to be honest, this is a touchy subject for me, and I'm sure it is for quite a few others...that is, if you've even heard of wheatbelly. I hadn't before, until just a few hours ago whilst I was searching for health and weight loss videos on youtube. I came across this professor of some sort lecturing about the hidden dangers in wheat...yeah, wholewheat/wholegrain.
    And it didn't make sense to me...WHY, of all foods, would wholewheat be bad for you, for your health? I found it ridiculous, and I still do.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, then uh, well, these videos (it was broken up into parts) were based off of a book on the subject...the subject being on the process of wheat over the years, and how it's been changed through intervention, and modification...the man speaking goes on to talk about blood sugar levels and all sorts. Making it appear that to have wholegrain foods would be worse than to consume sugar from the packet! He's related the consumption of wholegrain to different studies etc. And goes on to state that it can lead to increased levels of internal, dangerous fats that are present in the intestines, and other organs.

BUT there have been reports from people who have ditched wheat completely from their diets, and not only claim of weight loss, but also improved general health, feeling better internally.
    And I know that from past experiences, that when I cut down on the carbs, and more specifically wheat, I wasn't feeling so 'weighed down', and had even lost some weight. But then, the way I think about it is that carbs in general do tend to be denser in calories etc. So, if a person were to cut down, or even rid themselves of bread, pasta, cereal etc. then, surely their weight loss could be down to reduced amounts of calories consumed...

SO, what do you think on all of this? Personally, I don't necessarily believe the negativity he links to wheat...I mean, it does have fiber, and has other benefits.

HAVE YOU deducted wheat from your diet? And do you see/feel any difference? Again, personally, I consider this to be a last stop decision down the line for me, just to see the negatives, and positives to this lifestyle alteration/change.

OPINIONS please? :)

Through blood work (for something else) I found out I have a wheat sensitivity. So when I found that out and cut it out of my diet I feel absolutely GREAT, no bloating, no upset stomach, no sluggish feelings. You can try it for a little bit and see how you feel.
  • apouch
    apouch Posts: 1
    Options
    Cindym82 I think there is a lot to this Wheatbelly theory. I think the guy is really smart and what he says makes sense in so many ways, how the genetic altering of wheat has lead to a big change in how our bodies metabolize it.

Now I had been cutting wheat out for a few weeks but unfortunately was also cranking up my intake of nuts, peanut butter and cheese big time so haven't made any significant weight loss. But I did feel better and I do think that eliminating wheat does break the cycle of craving carbs over and over.

Now I want to do myfitnesspal but am not used to counting calories and am shocked at now many calories I have been taking in with the wheat free diet (peanut butter, almonds, cheese) I just never learn there is no easy way out when you are losing weight, how dumb was I to think I could lose weight by eating hefty amounts of peanut butter and cheese every day!

GRRR! Well wish me luck!
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I tried reading the book, but it was honeslty one of the most boring things I have ever picked up and I gave up after a few chapters of it.

BUT, starting tomorrow, I am going gluten free. Not by choice, at all. I love love love having toast for breakfast. But since I also want off my medication, I have to find out what is causing my horrible IBS symptoms. We already found some triggers, dairy/meat/grease/oils, and the docs last idea is gluten. After that hes out of ideas. I do not have celiac disease, but my mom does and there is a very good possibility that I have an intolerance to it also. I guess I'll know in a week or so.

If I were healthy right now, I wouldn't for a second consider cutting it out. If your body isn't bothered by it, I don't think there is any thing wrong with it. I will still be feeding it to my family, (though my kids aren't big bread fans)
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Remember that false negatives are very common on all celiac tests. A positive is positive, but a negative is inconclusive. If your mother has celiac and you have horrible IBS symptoms, in all likelihood you do have celiac. I hope that going gluten free is a big success for you.
    BUT, starting tomorrow, I am going gluten free. Not by choice, at all. I love love love having toast for breakfast. But since I also want off my medication, I have to find out what is causing my horrible IBS symptoms. We already found some triggers, dairy/meat/grease/oils, and the docs last idea is gluten. After that hes out of ideas. I do not have celiac disease, but my mom does and there is a very good possibility that I have an intolerance to it also. I guess I'll know in a week or so.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I eat wheat, and have been fit and healthy my whole life (until injury).

Unless you're gluten intolerant it should not cause a problem. Everyone gets bloated by this, that or the other...some say veggies, some say grains, some say pulses, and i'm sure others say meat. A little bit of bloating is part of digestion. Feeling full and heavy is part of digestion.

The scientific consensus and millenia of history suggest that wheat is good for you, so eat up if you don't display the symptoms of celiac.

Bloating and feeling heavy should not be accepted as a normal part of digestion. Feeling bloated and heavy is not normal and indicates something is going on within the digestion system.

Most likely leaky gut or a disruption in gut flora is the cause, but grains and a lot of vegetables will exacerbate the issue and make it worse. That is where consuming fermented foods will help with probiotics to ease the bloating.

I sometimes feel bloated after eating certain fruits. Should I stop eating those? I agree with the post stating its normal to feel bloated from time to time. I don't see why anyone would cut out gluten or grains unless they truly had an intolerance.

I am interested in reading more about the recent gluten free craze though, just to hear more about what the supposed benefits are.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with going wheat free. If you have sensitivies or allergies to it then eliminating it would be the smart thing to do. Those of us who get along fine with wheat can just keep on eating a balanced, varied diet of nutritious foods. I eat a ton of wheat based food and I have a flat belly. If I followed all the trends I'd go crazy. I don't want to keep eliminating foods from my diet until there's nothing left to enjoy. I just eat what gives me energy and makes my body run smoothly. I avoid the stuff that makes me feel crappy. If wheat makes you feel crappy, then I say avoid it. :drinker:
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I eat wheat because in a whole, it's more healthy and I like the taste better. White bread has processing and more carbs too I believe. I know when my mother who has diabetes was diagnosed, she was eating white bread, they advised to switch to wheat bread and pasta. Diabetes and carbs go hand in hand, so it makes sense to me that was why.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Go to nutritiondata.com and explore for yourself. Wheat is full of nutrients and enriched with helpful B vitamins. I like variety and enjoy many different grains. Moderation and variety are always the answer.
  • Jenvan78
    Jenvan78 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    If you look at a typical food that is categorically bad for you it is likely to have a wheat by-product, a corn by-product, and probably some chemically modified fat. Eliminating wheat would therefore substantially reduce your intake of horrible foods by default.

That isn't to say wheat itself is bad. The key to fad diets is to follow the money. How would someone sell yet another diet book without making outrageous claims, then henpecking studies to show that is true.

That being said, some people are sensitive/allergic, etc. and if you find that wheat specifically is the cause, more power too you. It would be my supposition it's not just the wheat but the baggage it comes with that probably is the true link to improvement.
    There ya have it folks, ^^^^^^^ THIS!!!!!
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I just started seeing a nutritionist.I've already lost 58 pounds before talking to her. She wants me to try eating gluten free. I have read alot about how grains are NOT that healthy for us so I will let you know how it goes.

If you aren't a diagnosed celiac then gluten free will just be an unproductive pain in the *kitten*. Get a new nutritionist that will help you with your diet instead of feeding you the latest fad BS.

I agree! Jeez, I feel like the gluten free craze has replaced the Atkins hullabaloo from the late1990s, which replaced the fat free craze of the early 1990s...

You will feel better going gluten free if you have a gluten allergy or gluten intolerance. If you are like me and not bothered by gluten, eliminating it doesn't make a difference at all. I must say, I do love following the diet fads of what the current "evil ingredient" du jour is.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I got fat because I ate too much. Not because I ate a piece of whole grain toast every morning.

I agree that gluten-free seems to be the latest fad. All those 'low-carb' breads sprouting up a few years ago seem to have been replaced with even more expensive gluten free breads in the bread aisle. I do believe some people may have sensitivities to gluten or full-blown celiac disease, but barring that, I don't think eliminating wheat will do much.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Go to nutritiondata.com and explore for yourself. Wheat is full of nutrients and enriched with helpful B vitamins. I like variety and enjoy many different grains. Moderation and variety are always the answer.

Sorry, but there are no enriched nutrients in wheat that I can not get from fruits and vegetables. There is more variety in the colorful vegetables and fruit than some icky brown bready PRODUCT that is heavily processed, stripped of any nutrients and then has to be added back in.