How different do you look?

Options
So, I've lost 50lbs, 60 if you're counting from my heaviest documented weight, and I do look different. I mean, my clothes fit differently, my face and thighs have definitely thinned out. My stomach isn't as round, and a couple rolls here and there are deflated a bit. But I haven't HAD to buy new clothes yet, and for the most part I still look the same... big! I think because I started off over 300lbs, it's going to take longer before it's super noticeable to others. I don't think I've lost a ton of muscle bc I work out some and do some light weight lifting, but I think it's more of a " bucket of water effect" as I've coined it. Take a bucket of water from a tub and it's very noticeable, take the same size bucket of water from a swimming pool, not so noticeable. I am obviously the swimming pool.

So does anyone else with a large amount of weight to lose find that they had to lose quite a bit before it was very noticeable?

Replies

• AsaraFuriosa
    AsaraFuriosa Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    It does take a while to notice the more you have to lose. I've also noticed that when people are use to seeing you everday, ( family, close friends and co- workers) it takes longer. People you don't see often tend to notice first Ive been told several times that there's no way I lost 84lbs because no one remembers me being that big.
  • GaglianiGirl
    Options
    Thank you. It helps to hear from someone else who experienced it. I have this crazy fear that'll hit my goalnweight and only go down like 2 pant sizes and still look fat. lol
  • emmamma
    emmamma Posts: 6
    Options
    I know how you feel. I lost almost 30 pounds now, and have another 70 to go. My close guy friend noticed about a month ago, but didn't say anything because he wasn't sure, but when I told him, he said he's definitely noticed something. I see him a few times a week, so it's not an everyday thing. Still, my clothes are feeling a bit looser, and my face is a LOT thinner than it was 4 months ago. It depends on how you see yourself. Looking through old pictures will help see the weight loss.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    My last go round I lost 50+ lbs, time before that 60+ (I'm a yo yo dieter, sigh) and yes, it does take losing a LOT before it's noticeable to others (and at times yourself as well). As another poster said, your close friends/family see you daily so they don't notice. I'm just starting again and only a few people are aware I'm dieting so I'm curious when it will show enough for anyone to comment.
  • toogsmom
    toogsmom Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have lost 28, and no one except for friends that know im trying to lose has really noticed! I need to loose approx 70 more! And the comment that its hard for people who see you daily to notice is true~ try taking a video diary or a pic every week . That way you can see the difference. Wished Id started doing this the day I started, a picture really is worth a 1000 words sometimes.
  • dena789
    dena789 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I also believe that the more you have to loose, the longer it will take to be noticeable. It could also be possible that, like me, you let this current set of clothing become quite tight fitting to your body therefore we go through a point where they finally fit correctly before they start getting too large.
    Think of it in percentages - a person who weighs 300 lbs and has a goal weight of say... 150 will need to loose 50% of their starting body weight. A 10% weight loss for that same person at the beginning will be 30 lbs. I think that weight loss doesn't really start to show for those of us starting at higher weights until you hit a loss of around 20% of your starting weight. You should also notice a change in your clothes at that point too. A person who starts out at a much lower weight will see changes faster because they may only need to loose a total of 10% to 20% of their beginning weight which in actual pounds is much less.
    There is only about a 10 pound difference in sizes under size10 but, over that, there can be 15 pounds difference up to size 18 then 20 pounds or more on plus sizes above that. That is why those who are larger sizes will be able to wear one size of clothes longer before noticing the need for a different size.
    Personally, I very much look forward to being able to get to the point where I can purchase a size from the 'regular' section rather than the 'plus size' section.:happy: