Question About My Menstrual Cycle

Options
So this new lifestyle/weight-loss journey has been a part of me for over a week now and i feel different. I've lost a little bit of weight obviously but i also feel better in myself, i feel healthier, physically stronger, more capable of exercise...these are all obviously great things but i wonder if i could pick your brains about something else.
My period is not due for another week and a half or so but i seem to have just got it now and it seems quite light. I'm usually very, very regular, always get it on time, no issues with it at all, all normal so this is a new one for me.
I'm not on any hormonal contraception, i use condoms only and i really don't think i'm pregnant or anything...so what's this? Is it my new lifestyle? That's literally the only thing i can think of that has changed. Any ideas?

Replies

• onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Our bodies react different to exercise and diet changes and may take a couple of months. I don't know about spotting, you should take a pregnancy test just in case to ease your mind.
    My periods actually bacame shorter though from 33~ to 28 days when I started eating healthier and exercising, but there was no flow changes.
  • KayeeDaisyBee
    Options
    Hm...thanks...i might take a test actually, this is pretty weird for me, i'm usually completely regular, i can almost time it to the hour, lol.
  • Blueleaf
    Blueleaf Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It is possible for your cycle to change based on diet and physical activity - sometimes it's just a reaction to sudden changes. It can't hurt to take a pregnancy test, but I wouldn't worry about it if it's just this month. If it stays wonky from month to month, it's worth a trip to the doctor just to make sure it's not something else.
  • dragonairis
    dragonairis Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Changing your weight and eating habits can affect your cycle, absolutely. I went about it backwards: I wanted to affect my cycle and therefore started changing my weight. :) You might try a site (it's also a book) called Taking Charge of your Fertility. I promise I have nothing to do with the book, other than I bought it for myself and learned a lot about my body.
  • hipster819
    hipster819 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me when I first began a healthy lifestyle! I was so freaked out, but I talked with my doctor and that is exactly what he said. It has something to do with a hormonal imbalance and your body's reaction to its sudden change in lifestyle. I have been getting my period every 17 days for 8 months now, and I'm still breathing (:
  • khaosstar
    khaosstar Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    When I first started exercising I spotted a few days before I was due for my period and then had half a week of nothing. It freaked me out to say the least but any changes in your cycle are completely normal. I wouldn't worry too much, but do keep an eye on it and call a doc if need be. Mine just brushed it off after she heard it happened after a lifestyle change.
  • KayeeDaisyBee
    Options
    Thanks, ladies, you've all reassured me so much. I'll keep an eye on it!