Shell Shock! (IHOP Omelette Stats Revealed)

Options
Healthier_Me
Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
Boy are we having fun with this NYC regulation requiring certain restaurants to reveal the calorie counts of their foods right on the menu. Last week we outed some doozies from T.G.I. Friday's, and this week we've got some INSANE news from the world of IHOP (who, up until now, have kept their nutritionals hush-hush). If you think french toast and waffles are the only dangerous items on their breakfast menu, um, you're in for a big fat surprise. Ordering an omelette at the b-fast chain could actually supply you with pretty much all the calories you need for an ENTIRE DAY. No huge surprise that the Big Steak Omelette will cost you 1,490 calories or that the Big Bacon Omelette has 1,430. But would you have ever imagined that the veggie-packed Garden Omelette is crammed with 1,150 calories or that the Spinach & Mushroom Omelette contains 1,210? That's INSANE! These stats do include the 3 pancakes that each omelette is served with, so our advice is to avoid those p-cakes, ask for egg whites only (or egg substitute), and skip the cheese. Those three easy tweaks will likely save you at least 600 calories. Still, a better bet would be to make your omelettes at home (where you have wonderful things like nonstick spray, Egg Beaters, fat-free or low-fat cheese, and fresh veggies!).

http://www.hungry-girl.com/news/newsdetails.php?isid=1425

Replies

• Healthier_Me
    Options
    Boy are we having fun with this NYC regulation requiring certain restaurants to reveal the calorie counts of their foods right on the menu. Last week we outed some doozies from T.G.I. Friday's, and this week we've got some INSANE news from the world of IHOP (who, up until now, have kept their nutritionals hush-hush). If you think french toast and waffles are the only dangerous items on their breakfast menu, um, you're in for a big fat surprise. Ordering an omelette at the b-fast chain could actually supply you with pretty much all the calories you need for an ENTIRE DAY. No huge surprise that the Big Steak Omelette will cost you 1,490 calories or that the Big Bacon Omelette has 1,430. But would you have ever imagined that the veggie-packed Garden Omelette is crammed with 1,150 calories or that the Spinach & Mushroom Omelette contains 1,210? That's INSANE! These stats do include the 3 pancakes that each omelette is served with, so our advice is to avoid those p-cakes, ask for egg whites only (or egg substitute), and skip the cheese. Those three easy tweaks will likely save you at least 600 calories. Still, a better bet would be to make your omelettes at home (where you have wonderful things like nonstick spray, Egg Beaters, fat-free or low-fat cheese, and fresh veggies!).

http://www.hungry-girl.com/news/newsdetails.php?isid=1425
  • eriny
    eriny Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    (Still, a better bet would be to make your omelettes at home (where you have wonderful things like nonstick spray, Egg Beaters, fat-free or low-fat cheese, and fresh veggies!).
    you are so right i do the egg beaters or whites all the time like this morning
    Egg Beaters - Original, 1 cup 120
    Onions - Raw, 2 tbsp chopped 8
    Tomatoes - Roma Tomato, 0.5 Tomato 18
    Oscar Mayer - Bacon - Fully Cooked - Ready To Serve, 1 serving (15 g) 70
    Fresh Produce - Bell Peppers (Green), 0.5 Cup Raw 15 Bread - White 2 slice, thin 106
    Hormel ham 2 oz 60
    total calorie = 382 (4 eggs omelette 3 bacon 2 pieces of bread great value fruit punch 0 cal)
  • REB89
    REB89 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    But would you have ever imagined that the veggie-packed Garden Omelette is crammed with 1,150 calories or that the Spinach & Mushroom Omelette contains 1,210?

:noway:
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    But would you have ever imagined that the veggie-packed Garden Omelette is crammed with 1,150 calories or that the Spinach & Mushroom Omelette contains 1,210?

:noway:
    Heck no! :sick:
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    Holy crap! I won't be eating at IHOP any time soon....:sick:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    For the love of god, please don't tell me the nutritionals on the stuffed french toast. I don't want to know, I just want to eat them and be happy :laugh:
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Every time I've gone to IHOP its been late at night with my friends. Usually I'm completely disgusted and turned off of their food because I see that big nasty bucket of butter. Its absolutely repulsive. So I'm thankful that that butter bucket has kept me from ingesting all of that nasty crap.

that's ridiculous....what all can you put inside an omelet to make it that high cal? I mean, I just don't see how they do it. Are they trying to pack in as many cals as possible? seems like it.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    The stats do include 3 pancakes.

I agree with the bucket of butter - but it's probably not butter - I would guess bucket of trans fats!
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    The stats do include 3 pancakes.

I agree with the bucket of butter - but it's probably not butter - I would guess bucket of trans fats!

I can feel my arteries clogging just thinking about it....:sick:
  • chiefiron
    chiefiron Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I have been eating hard boiled egg whites and protien shakes for so long...and doing so well i have decided to treat myself at brekkie

Big Big Big egg white omelet with 2 slices of whole wheat toast.

Mushrooms - Canned, drained solids, 0.12 cup
    Peppers - Sweet, green, raw, 2 tbsp
    Cheese - Cheddar, 0.12 cup, shredded
    Eggs - White only, raw, 1 cup
    Bread - Whole-wheat, toasted, 2 slice
    Butter - Salted, 1 pat (1" sq, 1/3" high)

Total cals 365
    carbs 30
    Protien 34
    Fat 10

Best part is i didnt have to cook it my self... one of the perks of the job.

Tim
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    Hey that sounds good Tim....can I get one to go and some ketchup too!!! lol:wink:
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    I boycott all breakfast places because I used to work at a diner and omg the grease on those grills people...you do not want to know! lol

hugs!
    Ali

lets have Tim's "people" make us ours next time...we'd have a bit of a journey but ya know its healthy!!!

:drinker:
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    I have been eating hard boiled egg whites and protien shakes for so long...and doing so well i have decided to treat myself at brekkie

Big Big Big egg white omelet with 2 slices of whole wheat toast.

Mushrooms - Canned, drained solids, 0.12 cup
    Peppers - Sweet, green, raw, 2 tbsp
    Cheese - Cheddar, 0.12 cup, shredded
    Eggs - White only, raw, 1 cup
    Bread - Whole-wheat, toasted, 2 slice
    Butter - Salted, 1 pat (1" sq, 1/3" high)

Total cals 365
    carbs 30
    Protien 34
    Fat 10

Best part is i didnt have to cook it my self... one of the perks of the job.

Tim
    Have your people call my people :bigsmile:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I love egg-white veggie omlettes!! You can cram 4 egg whites full of tomato, green pepper, onion, mushroom, etc. AND have whole wheat toast and still be 1/4 of the calories that omlette at IHOP is. Sheesh! It just makes you not want to eat out EVER!!! LOL!
  • chiefiron
    Options
    I love egg-white veggie omlettes!! You can cram 4 egg whites full of tomato, green pepper, onion, mushroom, etc. AND have whole wheat toast and still be 1/4 of the calories that omlette at IHOP is. Sheesh! It just makes you not want to eat out EVER!!! LOL!

Yeah well i dont do "Ihop" type places but there is a place in the Villiage of Fairport (where i live) that makes some excellent food for a little hole in the wall. Durfs if any of you are in the Rochester NY area.

I have no idea how many cals are in my normal order there, and i really dont want to either.

2 eggs over easy
    1/2 cup fried potatos
    1 med country fried steak 6oz+/-
    2 home made biscuts
    all covered in sausage gravy.

Thats what im having the first morning im home (if i can get all that fatty goodness down that is)

Tim
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options

Yeah well i dont do "Ihop" type places but there is a place in the Villiage of Fairport (where i live) that makes some excellent food for a little hole in the wall. Durfs if any of you are in the Rochester NY area.

I have no idea how many cals are in my normal order there, and i really dont want to either.

2 eggs over easy
    1/2 cup fried potatos
    1 med country fried steak 6oz+/-
    2 home made biscuts
    all covered in sausage gravy.

Thats what im having the first morning im home (if i can get all that fatty goodness down that is)

Tim

Omg, my mouth is watering at the biscuits and gravy. My grandpa will make that when I go home to Oregon in July. I must resist!!! Or have just ONE! He makes his own sausage too!! Omg, talk about delicious but SO bad for you!
  • chiefiron
    Options
    [/quote]Omg, my mouth is watering at the biscuits and gravy. My grandpa will make that when I go home to Oregon in July. I must resist!!! Or have just ONE! He makes his own sausage too!! Omg, talk about delicious but SO bad for you!
    [/quote]

Tell me about it. i am at this moment eating my last meal/snack.

1 abb steel chrunchy peanut butter protien bar
    1 servings BSN synthia 6 protien shake Mochaccino.

Not nearly as good but easy to measure and pretty good for me.

Tim
  • 3bearsmom
    3bearsmom Posts: 34
    Options
    Just the other day I was thinking about calorie counts in restaurant foods and wondered about Ihop in particular. Before I began to get serious about weight loss I went there and indulged in an omelet that had a creamy crab sauce in it. (even though I couldn't imagine seafood in an omelet--oohh lala this was heaven!) I have to wonder how many calories I took in that one meal. (I ate ALL of it plus all 3 pancakes-horror of horrors!!!):ohwell: :sick: in fact I think I'll see if I can find out online...hmmm
  • 3bearsmom
    3bearsmom Posts: 34
    Options
    well, I just went to the IHOP menu sight and can't even find the omelet I had. perhaps they eliminated it. oh well, if that is the case I'm glad I got to at least enjoy it once! Probably has like over 1500 calories in that meal.(shudder shudder lol) As a matter of fact, I found it hard to find most of the nutrition info for this restaurant online. hopefully it will be updated soon, or maybe I just don't know what I'm doing.
  • dmflynt
    dmflynt Posts: 196
    Options
    Those restaurant breakfasts are KILLERS! You can count on them being at least 1000 calories. With toast being 150 cals per slice minimum, pancakes at 200 or more each, donuts & muffins at least 300 each, butter, syrup, cheese.....it adds up quickly!