Does anyone have binge moments?

Options
I hit my target weight about 4 months ago and still keep a tight reign on my calories each day. allow myself treats too.

i've had 2 moments like yesterday. my parents had a huge plate of baclava and i could not stop eating it. you know just reaching for one more mouthful sized chunk. i couldn't seem to stop it!

I had 15 of them i think. on top of a day worth of normal healthy calories.

thankfully my weight hasn't budged, although i'd have been fine losing it again, it's the total lack of control in that moment that scares me.

anyone else get these moments?

Replies

• Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    every day lately.
    but by "binge" i don't mean "i had one ice cream", no i mean i eat until i'm sick.
    i've been struggling with binging for a while now.
  • jennaryan1205
    jennaryan1205 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I hate the feeling of losing control. Every few days I have one of those moments where I feel like I could eat a whole tub of icecream or a bag of double stuffed Oreos. I haven't binged yet, I try to really think of what I'm really craving and eat a small amount to satisfy it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but so far I've managed to walk away. Sometimes I will get on here and look at how long I'll have to work out if I give in. That usually does the trick lol!!
  • michaeltoye
    Options
    I felt sick about 2 hours after too, but it just served to stop me eating anything else apart from water 0_0
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    I've been having these moments lately... a few times a week for a few weeks there! I'd find something tasty, and eat a bit... then have another... and another. By the end of the night I've had four cupcakes, three ice cream bars, a sausage with a bunch of fruit and four sodas... I get a bad upset stomach and finally have to separate myself from the stuff. Its soooo frustrating because its like I have no say. :(
  • sunnyshine1313
    sunnyshine1313 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Yes have had a big struggle with the binging lately...not sure why, other than giving in to some old habits, which have been very difficult to break.
  • KyleWitt87
    KyleWitt87 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    On the 4th i lost control over some chilli cheese dip and hotdogs. I just couldnt stop eating the damn things. Everytime i went in to kitchen i had a dog and like 30 chips/dip lol. I didnt really over eat cause i was able to stop myself after a while, but when i had that first bite it was on! I downed like 4 dogs in under a minute... Kinda scary. Havent binged since then and hoping it was just a holiday thing lol.
  • michaeltoye
    Options
    Do we just have to manage these 'moments'?

I know i have an addictive personality - the only way i keep the weight down is with whenever-i-want diet soda and black coffee.
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    i have issues with binging. i know i shouldn't and i am aware of what i am doing but i don't stop myself. i feel like i go through stages where i can do amazing and eat in moderation and stick to my goals then something happens (idk what) and i just say meh and eat until i'm sick while i know what i am doing. not really sure what to do about it :/
  • b1delane
    b1delane Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    OMG!! I know exactly what you mean! I binged on the 4th too! It was almost uncontrolable. I jus kept eating everything in sight! I knew what I was doing was bad but it just tasted so GOOD! To top it off the gym in my area was closed...all of them! So you know what I did I accepted the fact that I binged an I worked my fanny off at the gym the next day!
  • cfloresmt
    cfloresmt Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I usually look up pictures of disgusting junk food or read about obese people. Makes me look at things differently. Either that, or take a protein shake which makes me feel bloated and stuffed.

Try to find something that works for you. If you overeat, still count calories so you learn how long it'll take you to recover from your binge and will make you reconsider for the next time.

Finally, once or twice a week, you better schedule a small cheat meal. Stick to it. A small cheat meal is like 3 slices of pizzas, a nice baguette or something which you might crave (I'm assuming something carbsy if you want to lose weight), which will make things easier in the long run and make these craves rarer.
  • KuroNyankoSensei
    KuroNyankoSensei Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    You are like how I was a few months back ;x. I was almost to my goal last year, but since I was depriving myself of all these foods. I just binged and binged, but I didn't stop ><, and it was the fall and winter holidays and there was food left and right, (Halloween candy, Thanksgiving, Christmas . . . ), I ended up ballooning back to the weight I started with. I think I learned that I had to forgive myself, and give myself what I want in reasonable amounts of what I'm really craving.

A week of binging can be offset by a really good week of diet and exercise, happened to me last month when I went back home and was dragged to two buffets and just served a ton of food in general. Instead of breaking down and quitting, I picked myself back up, stored the scale away, and went on eating and exercising responsibly and it worked ;3.
  • Ayla70
    Ayla70 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I have massive cravings. Every day! But it's been so many years that I've shoved whatever I want into my always ready mouth, which has given me the body I have now, not the body I want.

I do give in. But I do it selectively. I will either know exactly what I'm about to do, and head to the gym first to work it off before it even hits my lips, or I will work extra hard the next day and really limit my caloric intake, to counter the effects of what I've just done.

And I don't have more than one binge food. I will devour a bag of chips on a weekend night, but that's it.

I also don't have this sort of food in the house any longer. At all. I have no willpower, so I just wont allow myself to be tempted in the first place. And I wont drive to get anything either.

Most importantly, I don't deny myself anything. Nothing is off limits to me. I just make damned sure I know how bad it is in the first place and how much effort it's going to require to counter it. And I have become a 'swapper' (it's an ad here in Australia). Instead of sitting down to an entire block of chocolate, I"ll have a massive glass of water first, and maybe an apple, and then I'll sit and mindfully enjoy just one little piece. If I'm feeling completely out of control, I'll go to the gym and work it off. So far I've lost 14 kilos (just over 30 pounds) doing this.

Best of luck to you all x
  • shaybethxo
    shaybethxo Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    ermahgerd, i love baklava!
    but yeah, i always have things like this. although i'm still in the early stages of weight loss, i'm hoping i will get better.
    you're only human, and as long as it isnt every day, you will be alright :)
  • Nighthawk4
    Nighthawk4 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    There are 'moments' I must admit - mainly those when I am awake. :-)

However, now I am more aware of the damage I was doing to my body, I check the number of calories in everything I eat and at least I am aware of how many each snack contains. Also, it tends to be one snack rather than buying a multi-pack of biscuits, sweets, chocolate bars, etc. and eating them all in one sitting.

I think the main difference is that now I do check and think about the effects - plus I don't eat that sort of food anywhere near as often as I did.

On the other hand I am getting a little obsessive about exactly what is in everything I eat. I am hoping that will ease a little once I reach my target weight and as I get used to knowing what I can eat and what to avoid. At the moment this is all still new to me.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I hit my target weight about 4 months ago and still keep a tight reign on my calories each day. allow myself treats too.

i've had 2 moments like yesterday. my parents had a huge plate of baclava and i could not stop eating it. you know just reaching for one more mouthful sized chunk. i couldn't seem to stop it!

I had 15 of them i think. on top of a day worth of normal healthy calories.

thankfully my weight hasn't budged, although i'd have been fine losing it again, it's the total lack of control in that moment that scares me.

anyone else get these moments?

Yes but I improve the less I stress over every calorie I put in my mouth,
  • AliceKlaar
    AliceKlaar Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Do we just have to manage these 'moments'?

I know i have an addictive personality - the only way i keep the weight down is with whenever-i-want diet soda and black coffee.

You've hit the nail on the head there for me - I'm a classic addictive personality, I can't just have one square of chocolate etc so I trust try to avoid the goodies for as long as I can then every so often I'll have a day pigging out. I've learnt not to beat myself up about it and just get back on track the next day. So, you're definitely not alone in having these moments!
  • roguestates
    roguestates Posts: 223
    Options
    I'm currently abroad and away from a lot of junk food we have back home (though the locals totally have their own versions of junk, too). Cheetos were impossible to find. I managed to locate a bag last week after 6 months, thinking I'll just eat a serving at a time. Wishful thinking, right? It killed my calorie intake for a couple of days. At least I had the restraint not to buy 2 bags :P
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I absolutely know where you are coming from. I am currently at a healthy weight, and keen to maintain it, except that I could lose a few lbs happily before going on holiday next month, as I am sure I will put on weight then.
    So what do I do? Eat, far too much of those 'little' things that are starting to pile up. Not good.
    Let me know what works.
    Mostly I try to get busy at something else, or go to bed!
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    If you are bingeing regularly to the point where you think you've developed a problem, PLEASE message me - anyone who's posted in this thread. I've been there and I am happy to give you support if you need it.
  • LemonBurns
    LemonBurns Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Ummmmm, YES!! Who doesn't?