QUESTION FOR GIRLS / WOMEN!!

Options
May be a bit TMI for some -

But do you gain weight during your TOM?
I gain 4 pounds, all the time..

How do you deal with this and losing weight at the same time?

Replies

• jennaryan1205
    jennaryan1205 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I do gain. I just started MFP and TOM was last week. I gained 6lbs. I didn't log the weigh in. I will weigh in next week and record. i figure I'll just skip that week of the month. It's probably water retention anyway.
  • KuroNyankoSensei
    KuroNyankoSensei Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I don't, actually ;x. And I seem to lose much quicker during that week
  • rocketpopsicles
    Options
    Kuro - Lucky!

kkc - That actually sounds like a good idea. I know I wont be happy to see what I weigh during it!
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Stay away from the scales! Along with regular monthly moodiness, you get to pout and cry over the "gain" of weight! Lol. The scale numbers going up is normal, and always happens to me, always goes back down.
  • keeshieb
    keeshieb Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I always gain 4lbs as well all i do is continue my same routine of excercising and drink plenty of water then i weigh my self two days after i lose it back plus 1lbs more dont worry this is normal . Good luck on your journey to become healthy
  • keeshieb
    keeshieb Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Same here it seem like the weight comes off faster then:smile:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    it's just water retention . in general weight fluctuations are a common thing. i would suggest not getting so caught up on having to see a change on the scale that stop seeing the forest because of the trees.

if you look at it that way, then there's nothing to deal with
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I try to maintain my calorie intake as much as possible, but i am flexible by 200-300 calories if i am physically feeling hungry. Apparently (i didn't know this before using MFP) when you are on your period, your metabolism increases and you burn an extra 200-300 calories a day!

I avoid the scale because i know it will upset me even though the number is not accurate! I either wait for a few days after my last day or wait for the next week to check my numbers!
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I do gain, about a kilo or two
  • Vicw24
    Vicw24 Posts: 8
    Options
    I do gain. I just started MFP and TOM was last week. I gained 6lbs. I didn't log the weigh in. I will weigh in next week and record. i figure I'll just skip that week of the month. It's probably water retention anyway.

Such a good idea to miss that weigh in, or track it and make a note of it.. I gain about 3 kgs the week before and mostly its gone by the end of it all.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i don't have a period due to birth control (going on 7 years!) so i don't know if this would ever effect me.
    try weighing only once a month? when you're ovulating instead of when you're bleeding =]
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I get the injection, but for some reason out of the blue after 9 months of being on it, I've got a mini period. Nothing to write home about, but weighing this morning I'm up 0.4lb.

Nothing to worry about! I used to always get REALLY hungry the first few days and eat the entire World :laugh:
  • NocturnalGirl
    NocturnalGirl Posts: 1,762
    Options
    It's just water weight so it'll go away by the end of your period or sometime soon. It won't affect your progress and just don't weigh yourself during that time. That's why they say the scale is inaccurate. Just use a tape measure and go by the mirror more.
  • b1delane
    b1delane Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    OMG! Let me tell you a funny little story... Last week I woke up to my special little friend and a fierce set of cramps. Not thinking to much about it I took some pain killers and went about my business. The next day was my official weigh in day. So me being the dummy that I was weighed myself even knowing my monthly disturbance had made an apperance (Let me just cut in with a little advice and say never ever ever ever do that). I gained not 3-4 like other females but 10 pounds! 10 pounds! I freaked out and immediately overworked my body doing cardio and weight lifting. On top of that I was already feeling the fatigue and depression from TOM. So in my panic I doubled the symptoms! Today I weighed myself and the 10 lbs plus 4 lbs disappeared like it never happened! So my advice to you is to not pay attention to the scale or your weight at this time because your body will bounce back after all is said and done. The only thing that you need to do is keep to your regular plan and try to keep the munchies down to a min.,and drink lots of fluids to keep your body hydrated! Stay motivated!
  • babyphat2012
    babyphat2012 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    yes you will gain weight. Mostly water weight. Your body has to hold on to water during your monthly cycle then you release it ater your cycle goes away. hope this helps
  • angrodriguez92
    angrodriguez92 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Stay away from the scales! Along with regular monthly moodiness, you get to pout and cry over the "gain" of weight! Lol. The scale numbers going up is normal, and always happens to me, always goes back down.

I stand by this logic.
  • kirstenmaria
    kirstenmaria Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    yes you will gain weight. Mostly water weight. Your body has to hold on to water during your monthly cycle then you release it ater your cycle goes away. hope this helps

This helps me! Thanks!