Eating breakfast gives me heartburn should I skip?

Options
fgaughan
fgaughan Posts: 11 Member
For years I used to skip breakfast and I know this is not the correct way of doing this but when I was a postman and getting up at 4:30 making breakfast is the last thing on my mind.
Now I have a 9 to 5 job I find eating cereals give me heartburn, making a full English breakfast doesn't give me heartburn for some reason but I am not going down that route.
I do find that if I eat cereal 2 hours later I don't suffer from heartburn.
What do you all eat instead of cereals?

one option I can think of is get up early go to gym for an hour ,drive to work and 2 hours have passed and eat cereals at my desk?
Should we be exercising on a empty stomach? or should I eat before a gym session?
I have learnt a lot from this forum and lost 14lb so far ,only need to lose about a stone and after that just keep fit and keep it part of my lifestyle... only if I can master the heartburn problem.

Replies

• heyitsmegxx
    heyitsmegxx Posts: 444
    Options
    Why don't you try something else for breakfast?
    What about fruit, yogurt, or even toast? Those are all quick and easy.

Don't excercise on an empty stomach. Have atleast a piece of fruit or some nuts for energy before you work out.
    It's also not a good idea to work out right after you eat. You should wait about an hour after you eat.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    You raise a lot of good questions, so I'll try to go through them one at a time.

1. There is no "correct way of doing things." The idea that everyone needs breakfast is a common myth. See here for details: http://articles.latimes.com/2006/sep/18/health/he-breakfast18. The short version is that skipping breakfast is mostly a problem for people who aren't eating whole grains, dairy and fruit the rest of the day.
    2. Have you tried eating something other than cereal for breakfast?
    3. Are you sure its the cereal? If you are drinking juice, which is highly acidic, that could be the culprit, too.
    4. As long as you aren't hungry, it is generally more comfortable to work out on an empty stomach than a full stomach. Another myth is that you need to get in your protein right before or after your work out.

In the interests of full disclosure, I can't stomach the idea of eating for the first two hours of the day, so I would be the last person to tell you that you must eat breakfast or dread things will occur.
  • Olisellana
    Olisellana Posts: 22
    Options
    @ fgaughan

it don't have to be that hard but not that easy as well. I went to the store and bought me an egg boiler. Very cheap and works great. Eggs boiled in approximately 15 minutes. I add in some turkey bacon and a few pieces of fruit like strawberries or orange. Normally you want to eat within 30 minutes of waking up. Also you don't want to go to the gym without eating first. The reason is because if you do this then you won't have the energy to make it through the work out and you will just be going through the motions.

I'm not a fan of Cereals myself and I have given a list of snacks in another thread if you want to check it out so that way you can think of other options to have at your desk besides cereal. Another thing that might work besides cereal is have you tried just making Oatmeal? Oatmeal with a couple boiled eggs is a great meal to have and high in protein and allows some fiber as well.

If you have any more questions please ask and I will be more then happy to try to assist. I am not a professional but i have done a lot of self education on all kinds of tips and techniques of dieting and stuff.
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    What about a healthy version of English breakfast? Poached eggs, grilled bacon with the fat cut off, tomatoes and mushroom done with spray oil?
  • NK203
    NK203 Posts: 35
    Options
    Heartburn is no joke! Do what is necessary to avoid it. I wake up at 4, work out at 5, get to the office at 8 and eat my cereal at 9. In between waking up and breakfast, I have two pints of water and a few cups of coffee with half and half or milk. This works for me. I don't have to take my heartburn medication since starting MFP (and the above routine), probably due to the smaller meals and increased water consumption.. Good luck with finding a solution.
  • devilsangel2
    devilsangel2 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to eat breakfast you don't have to force yourself to do so. Have you considered IF? I am not a breakfast person and have been doing Leangains IF for 2 weeks now - absolutely love it. You can work out before eating (in fact it is recommended) but they do recommend a protein suppliment before hand. For all the info go to www.leangains.com and there is an Intermittent Fasting group here as well.
  • SarahMay272727
    SarahMay272727 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My advice on the breakfast side of things would be to listen to your body.

I've had similar to you - heartburn or just feeling plain sick at the thought of eating in the morning. Sometimes I delay eating by a bit (and the feeling passes) or other times I just pick the food based on experience or instinct - fruit juices and milk (especially in combination) are probably my main culprits, yoghurt can go either way, toast is generally safe (although I try not to eat too much in the way of carbs because it makes me sleepy...), cereal bars can be a useful backup.

You just have to try to find the foods that work for you (and remember they might not be the same ones from one day to the next...).

Also, you've probably already thought of this but try not to eat in too much of a rush - if that means doing it at work instead of wedging it in between jumping out of bed and running out the door then I'd say go for it.
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    You need to wait 2-3 hours after eating before doing physical activity to prevent GERD (exercise when your stomach is empty). Also, the same goes for sleep (wait 2-3 hours after eating). Like people have mentioned, eating pre-workout is not necessary

Strange thing that might be of use - if you elevate your bed so your head is higher than your feet, this will help with nighttime GERD. Also, laying on your left side speeds up stomach emptying while laying on your right side slows it down
  • gidgeclev
    gidgeclev Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I get up early and commute to work. I do not have time or the inclination to eat before I leave home so I take breakfast to work and eat it when my body tells me to which is generally around 9am. By this time I will have been awake for over 4 hours.
    I have been having soya protein based meal replacements for a while but having got to a healthy BMI I now have natural yoghurt mixed with 25g oats and 100g of fruit ( mixed red currents, raspberries, blackberries).
  • reallyregina
    reallyregina Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I feel sick if I eat immediately after waking. I have to wait 30-45 minutes before eating in the morning. You might want to keep some dry oatmeal in the house. When I have heartburn I eat a pinch of uncooked oatmeal and it's instantly gone. I learned the trick while pregnant but it has worked for non-pregnant heartburn as well. Much safer and cheaper than heartburn meds.
  • fgaughan
    Options
    oh wow brilliant advice everyone :-)

I cant stand yogurt to me it tastes like milk gone off yuk :sick:

I have advoided fruit juice unless its hours later ..

Oatmeal trick looks interesting , but the boiled eggs and toast seem to do the trick at the moment.
    Also I have noticed cutting down cups of tea during the day seem to stop heartburn in morning so now I only have 1 or 2 cups of tea .
    Healthy english breakfast at weekend when I have the time :-)

Hope you all dont mind me adding you so i can peek at what you all eat :-)

I joined a gym which is a halfway between work and home so it breaks my journey up, that is helping as time has passed after i ate and not in a rush to work after a gym session.
    Feel more alive at work than I ever did in the past and get more things done all thanks to this app and you guys making this forum interesting.
    Learnt a lot on here than anywhere or any gym I have been to, as I am deaf its very heard to undertand some people esp loud music from tvs, very distracting.
    I take to the gym what I learnt on here thanks guys its working :drinker:
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I have that problem if I have too much fat in the morning, like even one egg. My favorite breakfast is steel cut oats but even the little bit of flax meal was giving me heartburn. So I just cut my portion in half. I have a tiny bowl of oatmeal with flax and a little fruit. It keeps me full til lunch.

Could it be the milk messing with you?

If it helps, as your weight decreases your heartburn problem might go away completely. I only get it when 10+ lbs. or more overweight.
  • fgaughan
    Options
    I have that problem if I have too much fat in the morning, like even one egg. My favorite breakfast is steel cut oats but even the little bit of flax meal was giving me heartburn. So I just cut my portion in half. I have a tiny bowl of oatmeal with flax and a little fruit. It keeps me full til lunch.

Could it be the milk messing with you?

If it helps, as your weight decreases your heartburn problem might go away completely. I only get it when 10+ lbs. or more overweight.

i used to drink milk to try and get rid of heartburn as I used to find it soothing not realising I am making the problem worse.
    I thought losing weight decresses heartburn since I lost 15lb so far I no longer wake up in middle of night suffering from bad heartburn.Thankfuly that stopped 2 months ago although I had a mild one last night do to my children had school reports and they were good grades they get a treat so we had takeaway pizza.
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Fruit and protein smoothie? I'm a smoothie fanatic, they're fast and yummy and can be made withan amazing calorie to nutrient ratio. I drink one the second I get up to fuel my morning workout. No way could I eat "real" food that early.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    i eat baked oatmeal (make it once a week and have it for the week), hard boiled eggs, mini quiche's, protein shakes (protein powder, black beans or white kidney beans, egg whites, unsweetened coconut milk, cocoa powder).... those are my normal go-to's for breakfast. no heart burn. and it's really bad to not eat breakfast so definitely try to find something that works for you. It doesn't have to breakfast food per-se, just anything -- high in protein is good!
  • fgaughan
    Options
    Fruit and protein smoothie? I'm a smoothie fanatic, they're fast and yummy and can be made withan amazing calorie to nutrient ratio. I drink one the second I get up to fuel my morning workout. No way could I eat "real" food that early.

I buy innocent smoothie which I love, no way i could drink it in the morning which triggered my heartburn.
    I tend to have it now and again hours after i get up.
  • fgaughan
    Options
    i eat baked oatmeal (make it once a week and have it for the week), hard boiled eggs, mini quiche's, protein shakes (protein powder, black beans or white kidney beans, egg whites, unsweetened coconut milk, cocoa powder).... those are my normal go-to's for breakfast. no heart burn. and it's really bad to not eat breakfast so definitely try to find something that works for you. It doesn't have to breakfast food per-se, just anything -- high in protein is good!

1st of all I looked at your profile, 113lb lost!!!!! WOW I cant imagine you being big, you look as if you never ever put on weight! serously!

Do you mind sharing me the oatmeal recipe?
    I am soreley tempted to get protien shakes , do people use that instead of breakfast?
  • mogriff1
    mogriff1 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Aloe vera juice is good for heart burn & Indegestion. Maybe you could start taking a probiotic and digestive enzymes as well.
    Before workouts I typically eat a banana and a little juice.