Motivating your friends on this site

Options
Hey there, I'm relatively new to this site. I was wondering how other members go about 'motivating' their friends on this site? Is it basically just commenting on their status, and keeping up the positive reinforcement? Or is there more that you can do?

Also, what has been said to you by a 'friend' on this site that has really helped you or motivated you? What have you done/said for your friends on this site that you think helps?

Just really curious about the workings of 'friending' people (and don't want to shortchange the ones I already have!!).

Cheers
Bec

Replies

• samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Everything you mentioned is right on. Knowing that someone is going to hold me accountable and check on my regularly helps keep me motivated.
  • leopard_barbie
    leopard_barbie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Telling them they're doing great when they are, telling them that tomorrow's a new day and to keep going if they've not done so great! My friends put things in perspective for me and make me see that the little things aren't as big a deal as I make them seem and remind me how far I've come.
  • don666car
    don666car Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    just like real world friend read between the lines and know when they needa hug or kick in the backside and take as good as you give with support for weight control as the ruling factor be friend me if you dare lol
  • Blondehelmet
    Blondehelmet Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    be friend me if you dare lol

hehehehe you're on!
  • Jaypea15
    Jaypea15 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Everything you mentioned is right on. Knowing that someone is going to hold me accountable and check on my regularly helps keep me motivated.
  • Jaypea15
    Jaypea15 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Definately agreed with all of the other comments. Its such a lovely feeling to motivate and be motivated by such like minded people. I have been on and off of this site for a year and a half, and only been lucky (or unlucky dependent on how you want to look at it lol) enough to meet one unpleasant character who thought he knew it all, (not my friend but my daughters), so he was just unfriended and that was that!

99.9% of people are lovely, (fighting their personal battles with themselves against the bulge) and it feels like being part of a like minded community of nice people.
  • F__7
    F__7 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Great topic first of all....
    Let me say this.. I joined MFP maybe a few months ago mainly tracking my food.. not using much the FRIENDS support.

I decided to give it a try about a month ago.. and it has been so interesting to see ALL the people's different life situations, but ALL with ONE common goal.

So being part of their lives is already a support, and a word of encouragement ALWAYS helps to others just as it feels nice to hear it said to you.

Some people is more active sharing their life happenings then others, but just try to be there participating in your journey...
  • umer76
    umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    You can set up short term competitive targets with your friends, like setting up 150km cycle ride or 150km walk/jogg in a month. You can start 30 days Shred with your friend and then checking on each other who is missing days unnecessarily. When I am feeling lazy on a certain but then you know that someone is going to ask about the activity I was supposed to do it will motivate me to DO IT today. This kind of help I have found quite effective.
  • Blondehelmet
    Options
    Excellent! Thanks for the replies guys, looks like I'm on the right track (hopefully)!

Bec

ps. you're right jaypea, it does feel good to give support!
  • johicks
    johicks Posts: 1,991 Member
    Options
    I take time to encourage each friend -daily in the news feed.

On days that I have a little more time, I will go through my friends list and comment on their "wall" and/or leave them a message. Sometimes I know what's going on in their life and can try to offer a kind encouraging word.

But I think mostly, being honest!! I think it's important to vent and share. When I do they totally help pick me up and dust me off; reminding me I'm only human!!

It's a win-win.

Currently not accepting anymore friends, becuause I have enough tasks in life to keep my day full. I don't want to make this a chore- it's supposed to be an ulifting time for me. So I can only do so many.

Hope you find yourself giving and recieving along this journey!!!

Oh and.... Stay positive!!

http://passthepositive.com/
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i will post when people do well. i will also read their diaries to make sure they're not eating junk.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I try to offer encouraging words when I see them post and congrats when they post their accomplishments. Sometimes a friend will have had a bad day and I like to offer some encouraging words when I can. It also helps me since I keep my diary open that I know I am sort of accountable for it. Helps to keep me motivated.
  • Lisaherbalmomma
    Options
    @jochicks-that's such a good point about limiting your friends. I'm new on here and don't have too many, but if we are really going to motivate people, is it possible to motivate 200 friends daily, weekly? Of course, I friended some because I am motivated by their determination and/or progress, too! We need to remember that some of these people on here are really encouraged by our comments. They may not be getting much encouragement in their personal life! Lisa
  • Blondehelmet
    Options
    Bump
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Wonderfully motivating topic! Reminder how important we each are to one another. :flowerforyou: