How I broke through my 7 month Plateau!

Options
OK.......so the dreaded "P" word!! I have been on this journey for 20months now...I am a diagnosed food addict and have had pretty much every eating disorder that is known during my lifetime.....I exercise 6 days a week, I eat healthy for the most part, I don't eat a lot of junk food etc even at my biggest, but I just love food in general and of course wine and cheese!

SO.....I had pretty much tried everything to break through my plataeu, I zigzagged, ate more, ate less, mixed up the exercise but NOTHING was happening! I researched the internet and red books for the longest time, it was getting me down a lot, although I don't weigh on the scale (threw them out 12months ago as it was counterproductive to me) my clothes were the same and my measurements hadn't budged either....so I decided to experiment and set myself a 40 day clean eating challenge, now when I say clean I mean CLEAN......(you can check out my diary) the first 9 days I did a brown rice cleanse recommended to me by another MFP, then it was strictly clean food, no alcohol, no processed foods, diet drinks, no sauces, no fruit, no dairy, no bread, just good healthy food.

The results spoke for themselves, I lost 6cms off my hips, 4cm off my waist, 1.5cm off each thigh, 3cm off my chest and 1cm off my arms! I started with a trainer a couple of weeks ago and he weighed me (without me looking) at the beginning of the challenge and then again yesterday...I lost 3.5 kilos (8-9 pounds) BUT the best part, I retained most of the muscle I have worked so hard for over the last 20months!

I don't count calories anymore, I stopped that a few months ago because I did a mindful eating programme where they teach you how to learn to trust yourself with food and to eat when you are hungry etc, I was becoming too caught up with macros and this and that and I wasn't enjoying life ....its interesting because I recorded what I ate for the 40days so I could keep track and it was sitting mostly around 1200-1300, lots of people would argue that its too low for the amount of exercise I do etc....but I literally just listened to my body I felt fantastic the entire time I was on the challenge......BUT it was TOUGH really tough for the first 2-3 weeks, but after that I got used to it and never looked back...

NOW......this is only what worked for ME, I'm not saying it will work for everyone BUT it did prove that time and time again it comes down to what we put in our mouths, if its one thing I have learnt on this journey is that we are all programmed differently and its trial and error, I tell you what though, I am damn proud of myself for NEVER giving up, there were times I wanted to, when I worked tirelessly and gave so many things up and nothing happened....but it is the consistency that counts, patience and commitment....I'm not where I want to be yet, my ultimate goal is to look good naked! So to anyone who is losing hope, it can be done through hard work and determination, sorry if you thought this might be a magic pill you could take or some miracle cure....:o)

Replies

• mmmicheller
    Options
    wow! Congratulations!
  • ladyS31
    ladyS31 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Gr8 job
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    OK.......so the dreaded "P" word!! I have been on this journey for 20months now...I am a diagnosed food addict and have had pretty much every eating disorder that is known during my lifetime.....I exercise 6 days a week, I eat healthy for the most part, I don't eat a lot of junk food etc even at my biggest, but I just love food in general and of course wine and cheese!

SO.....I had pretty much tried everything to break through my plataeu, I zigzagged, ate more, ate less, mixed up the exercise but NOTHING was happening! I researched the internet and red books for the longest time, it was getting me down a lot, although I don't weigh on the scale (threw them out 12months ago as it was counterproductive to me) my clothes were the same and my measurements hadn't budged either....so I decided to experiment and set myself a 40 day clean eating challenge, now when I say clean I mean CLEAN......(you can check out my diary) the first 9 days I did a brown rice cleanse recommended to me by another MFP, then it was strictly clean food, no alcohol, no processed foods, diet drinks, no sauces, no fruit, no dairy, no bread, just good healthy food.

The results spoke for themselves, I lost 6cms off my hips, 4cm off my waist, 1.5cm off each thigh, 3cm off my chest and 1cm off my arms! I started with a trainer a couple of weeks ago and he weighed me (without me looking) at the beginning of the challenge and then again yesterday...I lost 3.5 kilos (8-9 pounds) BUT the best part, I retained most of the muscle I have worked so hard for over the last 20months!

I don't count calories anymore, I stopped that a few months ago because I did a mindful eating programme where they teach you how to learn to trust yourself with food and to eat when you are hungry etc, I was becoming too caught up with macros and this and that and I wasn't enjoying life ....its interesting because I recorded what I ate for the 40days so I could keep track and it was sitting mostly around 1200-1300, lots of people would argue that its too low for the amount of exercise I do etc....but I literally just listened to my body I felt fantastic the entire time I was on the challenge......BUT it was TOUGH really tough for the first 2-3 weeks, but after that I got used to it and never looked back...

NOW......this is only what worked for ME, I'm not saying it will work for everyone BUT it did prove that time and time again it comes down to what we put in our mouths, if its one thing I have learnt on this journey is that we are all programmed differently and its trial and error, I tell you what though, I am damn proud of myself for NEVER giving up, there were times I wanted to, when I worked tirelessly and gave so many things up and nothing happened....but it is the consistency that counts, patience and commitment....I'm not where I want to be yet, my ultimate goal is to look good naked! So to anyone who is losing hope, it can be done through hard work and determination, sorry if you thought this might be a magic pill you could take or some miracle cure....:o)

bump
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on breaking your plateau. Just curious, by definition how are dairy products like milk, and fruit, not clean? Specifically fruit. How is that not completely clean, healthy food?

Edited because of typos, and that bothers me.:embarassed:
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Do you have a link to brown rice challenge?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Woop woop, go sloanie!!!
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Why no fruit?
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on breaking your plateau. Just curious, by definition how are dairy products like milk, and fruit, not clean? Specifically fruit. How is that not completely clean, healthy food?

Edited because of typos, and that bothers me.:embarassed:

I understand the milk and cheese, it's gone thru being processed so I get that, but fruit I don't understand. Can you explain why the fruit. It's def not processed in any way. Has only natural sugars.
  • Superchikanthem
    Superchikanthem Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    What is the Brown rice challenge?
  • ElisaRazz
    ElisaRazz Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Amazing Sloane, congrats on completing 40 days and losing all those cms!!
  • scrappergirl333
    scrappergirl333 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    So on a clean eating diet one should eat/drink a lot of protein? I just wondered because I noticed that that you drink a protein drink 3 times a day. Also do you find that it helps to pretty much eat the sam thing every day? I noticed that many stars do this too.

Congrats on your weight loss!
  • sloanie1
    sloanie1 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I should clarify, the only reason I didn't eat fruit was the sugar content, yes it is natural but to be able to help with losing body fat from what I researched it should be kept to a minimum, yes fruit is definately a clean food! but can be an issue if we eat too much as sugar turns to fat natural or not...as I said it was only an experiment and I wouldn't normally not eat fruit...:o)

In answer to the Protein shakes, this particular one I use is an all natural pea protein and its been amazing, it tastes like nothing but you get used to it, it all depends on the individuals preference but I wanted to go as natural as possible.
  • Superchikanthem
    Superchikanthem Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I still want to know about the brown rice thing
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    When you get down to a certain level, then it WILL come down to food choices. Of course it will depend on what type of physique you want to have.
    Plateaus happen usually when the body has adapted to whatever the person has been doing EVEN if the right eating and exercise is instituted. I know of a few people that broke their plateaus by taking off of eating and exercise for 2 weeks to a month.
    So yes everyone is different, but I do agree with what the OP says about food when you're close to goal.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition