Low carb or no?

Options
Hey everybody I have been tryin to cut just a little bit more till I start bulking in September. I have been on a low carb diet for maybe two months and after doing some research I don't get why it's so vital to be on it, I mean as long as I am restricting my calories, eating good foods, and exercising well I should see the same results right?? Thanks to any and all that respond!!!!!!!

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It's not vital to be on one. It's a personal preference. Some people prefer low carb, some people prefer higher carb. Some people prefer vegetarianism, others prefer meat. Choose the lifestyle that you can stick to, don't make an arbitrary choice.
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    As for myself I am not cutting or bulking up, I am looking to lose about 40 lbs. However I do follow a low carb plan, and in my research I have found many articles about benefits to carb cycling for people cutting body fat and increasing muscle mass.

Here is one link. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/par30.htm

You probably already seen it!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    it kinda depends on the person...I *have* to be on a lower carb diet. If I follow the MFP suggested macros, I have to exercise twice as hard to lose half the weight.

I started following the MFP suggested macros the first week in February. I worked out 3-5 times a week (65 minutes cardio, 20 minutes strength). I lost 7 pounds from February 6- May 7th. I cut my carbs down to 100g net or less, and have lost 14.8 pounds from May 7th-July 6th. About a month ago I was having MAJOR issues eating enough for a 500 calorie burn 4x a week, so I cut my cardio down to 35 minutes 3-4x a week....and I am STILL losing an average of 1.3lbs a week.
  • TheWave97
    TheWave97 Posts: 11
    Options
    Thank you all so much!! :happy:
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    for fatter people, low carb is easier/faster. once you get to maintenance, you essentially eat low cal.
    but by restricting your carbs, you restrict calories too, and ketosis makes you feel amazing.
  • kirstiesharpe2209
    Options
    I'm on day two of low carbing and I'm finding I'm eating a lot more actually because the calories that would have been sat in carbs (dense stuff like bread, pasta etc) i'm getting in other places (I'm vegetarian so no meat but lots of other protein), and I feel really good! Hope it works!
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    If you are going for that body builder physique you really need to seek the advise of a good trainer / nutritionist. Go to a real gym and find one, otherwise all of your gains will be lost during the cutting phase and you will put on too much fat during the bulking phase.

It is tricky, you body needs the micro and macro nutrients to be big and cut. get some good info and try it out, I've see a bunch of guys frustrate the heck out of themselves. Good Luck
  • marinweb
    marinweb Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You can get the same info by doing a little research, without spending money on a nutritionist or a trainer. Here's a very good article by a PHd on the subject:

http://www.simplyshredded.com/layne-norton-the-most-effective-cutting-diet.html