Just ran 10k on treadmill

Options
larkiedeek
larkiedeek Posts: 203 Member
I have been training for a 10k

Today I managed to run for 10k without stopping. Speed was slow but it was my easy run day and I thought I would push it. time was about 72mins.

At least I now know I have enough gas in the tank to complete it.

It's an interesting way to burn over 1000cals

I have 7 weeks to improve my time but I don't think I will manage the 60 mins. I will keep trying and I hope these long trainning runs will help. One run at a time :drinker:

Replies

• Stacy7218
    Stacy7218 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    That's great!!! I'm training for an 8K at the end of of August. My speed is VERY SLOW, but I'm trying to maintain that speed on a treadmill for now.

Best of luck! After the 8K, 10K will be my next goal!
  • larkiedeek
    Options
    That's great!!! I'm training for an 8K at the end of of August. My speed is VERY SLOW, but I'm trying to maintain that speed on a treadmill for now.

Best of luck! After the 8K, 10K will be my next goal!

Slow seems to be the way!
  • wwpecker
    wwpecker Posts: 13
    Options
    Well ran, Ive just got back from the gym, still at the fast walking pace as my poor old legs wont let me run yet:laugh: but its all energy burned.
  • robinhardysmall
    robinhardysmall Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    That is awesome~ did you work up to it or just start running? I"m trying to do a 4 miler September 1st and very nervous so I started running for a minute then walking for a minute to build up to it...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • rosarenee1
    rosarenee1 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    That is wonderful! I hope to get to that level soon! I just started running almost two months ago. I love the high calorie burn too. :)
  • EternalJourney
    Options
    Great job!! WOOT!
  • Gunnarbear
    Gunnarbear Posts: 186
    Options
    Impressive!
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    That's awesome, I still can't manage even a good jog yet.
  • spendsitwell
    spendsitwell Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Way to go! That is a good time for your first 10K. The only thing I would recomment is to make sure you are getting outside run time. Running on a treadmill is very different than running on the road. I trained on the treadmill and I thought I was going to die the first time I ran outside. LOL Congrats again on the run. Awesome!!
  • rainydayboys
    Options
    That's fantastic!!!
    I just signed up for a 5K. I've been out of the running game for a long while and it's like starting from scratch. My plan is to spend the next month gradually increasing my speed, then taking it outside for the next month, as 99% of my running has been on a treadmill. I did a fast walk 5K the other night and it took almost an hour. I used to be able to run for 30 minutes no problem, now I need to concentrate on the distance, too.
  • larkiedeek
    Options
    That is awesome~ did you work up to it or just start running? I"m trying to do a 4 miler September 1st and very nervous so I started running for a minute then walking for a minute to build up to it...

I start with a 5 min walk. It get's my heart rate up and lets me warm the old legs up. I also do a 5 min cool-down. It seems to keep my heart rate up and I end up burning more calories.

It means I ended up moving for over 80 mins and about 7 miles in total. I wish I could count the warm-up in my distance but my times would be even more shocking.
  • larkiedeek
    Options
    Way to go! That is a good time for your first 10K. The only thing I would recomment is to make sure you are getting outside run time. Running on a treadmill is very different than running on the road. I trained on the treadmill and I thought I was going to die the first time I ran outside. LOL Congrats again on the run. Awesome!!

That was the plan. There is a parkrun event close by which is a 5k every weekend. I was going to go yesterday but it was too wet.

I pushed the run today because I had the day off yesterday.

Please don't say that about running outside. I want it to be easier.

My treadmill does not have any incline feature but I have been putting those big rubber training mats under it to raise up the front. I will throw another set of mats under it this week to take it up to 3. This should help step it up again.
  • JoelBissitt
    Options
    Well done. I have been running for around 18 months and you will improve your time with more practice. When I started running 5 minutes at 5mph almost killed me. Today I ran a 10k in 41 minutes and 12 seconds!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!