41 years old and 5'9. How much should I weigh?

Options
I am also looking for friends too as tomorrow I will start my first full day.

Thanks,

S

Replies

• KALMdown
    KALMdown Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 41 & 5'7". As for your weight just look at a BMI chart to get an idea of what a good weight for your height should be.

Please feel free to add me, if you like.
  • satxtrap
    satxtrap Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Well that depends on what you are aiming for. I prefer looking at body fat rather than height/weight tables. Using BF ranges, if you want to fall in the "Acceptable Range" I think that's around 25-31% Body Fat for a lady and the "Fitness Range" is around 21-24%.

One thing for sure is that you're going to hear a lot of opinions on here. :bigsmile:
  • beetlebella
    Options
    I am totally good with hearing various opinions. I have always been a big girl, but years ago I lost about 30 pounds in 1 month due to high stress. I have memory burn from being that skinny, so I would like to be about 143 pounds. I think that that is realistic, no?! :)
  • marinweb
    marinweb Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Well that depends on what you are aiming for. I prefer looking at body fat rather than height/weight tables. Using BF ranges, if you want to fall in the "Acceptable Range" I think that's around 25-31% Body Fat for a lady and the "Fitness Range" is around 21-24%.

One thing for sure is that you're going to hear a lot of opinions on here. :bigsmile:

Probably the best advice you'll get here. BMI charts are highly in accurate and don't account for muscle. eg. A pro athlete with a lot of muscle would be considered obese under BMI. Use your mirror, if you look good and feel good, does how much you weigh really matter?

Focus on BF%.
    Just adopt good eating habits (read don't user the word DIET) and workout regularly. My .02.
  • satxtrap
    satxtrap Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    (thank you marin. nice compliment. :drinker: )

Let me provide an BF example that might help explain my stance a bit better. At 5'10" my lean body mass alone was calculated at 171 lbs a couple of weeks ago. That's "Overweight" on the BMI scale. So that means if I got down to 0% BF the charts of the world would say "You need to lose weight." A little silly and certainly not healthy in my opinion. That's why I don't go on height/weight charts alone anymore.

So would 143lbs be a good weight for you? Probably. It would put you in the middle of the "normal" section of the BMI chart for your height. My 5'4" daughter weighs 145 and she wears size small. She was told to "watch her weight" by her doctor. :huh: She's an athlete, has low BF, and lots of muscle (and abs) yet the doctor relied on that good old BMI chart.... I digress...

Would you be happy at 143? Probably. Do we all want to see you successful in your journey? You betcha! Here's a flower. :flowerforyou: Time to get started.
  • josiecowboy69
    Options
    I'm not really set on a weight!!! More of on a pants size!!! But I'm liking who I am everyday in my clothes and that should be what matters.. But doctor's don't ask you,"How do you like yourself.today?' They tell you,'Step on the scales please!" Now don't get me wrong, I do get very aggravated at the scales, but then I go try on clothes I've had in my closet for years.. And out of amazement, the darn things will fit. But definitely do your measurements too. They are more important than the scales.
  • zbl2586
    zbl2586 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am 2 and 5'8 - I should be between 141 and 162lbs.