partially torn ligament

Options
i had this little accident last thursday and now have to deal with a partially torn ligament in my ankle. i have to use crutches for the first week and try to rest as much as possible. as a runner, that is probably one of the worst things that can possibly happen. I might have to wait up to 3 months until i can slowly start running again.

i read all these horror stories about how people couldnt walk or run properly the first YEAR after the injury.. does anyone have experience with this kind of injury? any advice how to speed up the healing process? anyone who did not have to wait 12 months until they could start living and exercising normally again?

my doctor was no big help as his english was very bad (and finnish too for that matter) and he just kept saying that probably I won't need surgery but physiotherapy "at some point" but when I asked him specific questions on how to live with this the first 1-2 weeks he just said "rest, don't run and keep it cold".

i'm going to see my new doctor here in GER (just moved here) in 2 weeks when he gets back from vacation. any advice on how to deal with this til then? Or just some cheerful words otherwise? I hate being "handicapped" like this, my mom and brother have to take care of me like i was a vegetable, i feel terrible about it.

Replies

• crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    I hope this bit of information is helpful to you - this is a 'basic' idea of what I do with my athletes that I have ankle sprains. Now, please remember that I don't know what particular ligament you tore, nor how bad it is!

For the beginnig - definately follow the PRICE priciniple
    P - protection - this can include a brace, crutches, walking boot, etc...
    R - rest - don't push it! any injury needs time to recover!
    I - ice - the general rule of thumb is 15-20 minutes - longer doesn't always equal better! there is actually a phenomenon in the body called the hunting response that can cause problems if ice is left on too long
    C - compression - using an ACE wrap - always wrap distal to proximal (from your toes up) wrapping the other way can push swelling into your toes
    E - elevation - keep it propped up. combined with the ice and compression, this will help swelling leave the injured area

Now, as far as exercises - I generally try to get my athletes moving as soon as possible (within the guidelines of pain, their injury, and common sense) - here are some examples - you may try out starting with 3 sets of 8 and see where your pain is

ankle pumps (dorsiflexion/plantarflexion) - basically pointing your toes down and then pulling back up to your face, as far as you can go without increasing your discomfort

side to side (inversion and eversion) - same as previous, but point your toes side to side

isometrics - strength training that doesn't involve movement of the joint - can be done using the resisitance of a
    bed/wall/someones hand/etc... basically you push against a surface that won't move and hold (maybe starting around 3 seconds)

towel curls - sit in a chair and place a towel underneath your foot. use your toes to pull the towel towards your body - you can also do this where you pull the towel to the left and right

seated calf raises - sitting on a chair with your feet on the ground, lift your heels up as far as you can go ** once you can go all the way painfree, then you may be able to start working into being weight bearing for this exercise**

seated toe raises - same set up as previous, but lifting your toes off the floor

calf stretch - do this both with your knee straight and knee bent - there are 2 mucles in your calf, 1 inserts below the knee and 1 above, so in bending your knee you isolate a different muscle

In my professional experience - I have never seen an athlete that has had as much trouble as it sounds like your doctor indicated may be possible. But you have to be smart about it. Use pain/swelling as your guidelines. If you are in more pain after trying some exercises - odds are you have done too much! Always be sure to ice after the exercises as well. You may also want to consider taking a course of ibuprofen if necessary. Ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory medication that can help reduce swelling. However, to get this affect from the medication, it needs to be taken as directed on the bottle (generally 2-200mg tablets every 4-6 hours), otherwise you only get the pain reduction.

I hope this helps! And again, these are just general ideas, but hopefully they help you!
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I hope this bit of information is helpful to you - this is a 'basic' idea of what I do with my athletes that I have ankle sprains. Now, please remember that I don't know what particular ligament you tore, nor how bad it is!

For the beginnig - definately follow the PRICE priciniple
    P - protection - this can include a brace, crutches, walking boot, etc...
    R - rest - don't push it! any injury needs time to recover!
    I - ice - the general rule of thumb is 15-20 minutes - longer doesn't always equal better! there is actually a phenomenon in the body called the hunting response that can cause problems if ice is left on too long
    C - compression - using an ACE wrap - always wrap distal to proximal (from your toes up) wrapping the other way can push swelling into your toes
    E - elevation - keep it propped up. combined with the ice and compression, this will help swelling leave the injured area

Now, as far as exercises - I generally try to get my athletes moving as soon as possible (within the guidelines of pain, their injury, and common sense) - here are some examples - you may try out starting with 3 sets of 8 and see where your pain is

ankle pumps (dorsiflexion/plantarflexion) - basically pointing your toes down and then pulling back up to your face, as far as you can go without increasing your discomfort

side to side (inversion and eversion) - same as previous, but point your toes side to side

isometrics - strength training that doesn't involve movement of the joint - can be done using the resisitance of a
    bed/wall/someones hand/etc... basically you push against a surface that won't move and hold (maybe starting around 3 seconds)

towel curls - sit in a chair and place a towel underneath your foot. use your toes to pull the towel towards your body - you can also do this where you pull the towel to the left and right

seated calf raises - sitting on a chair with your feet on the ground, lift your heels up as far as you can go ** once you can go all the way painfree, then you may be able to start working into being weight bearing for this exercise**

seated toe raises - same set up as previous, but lifting your toes off the floor

calf stretch - do this both with your knee straight and knee bent - there are 2 mucles in your calf, 1 inserts below the knee and 1 above, so in bending your knee you isolate a different muscle

In my professional experience - I have never seen an athlete that has had as much trouble as it sounds like your doctor indicated may be possible. But you have to be smart about it. Use pain/swelling as your guidelines. If you are in more pain after trying some exercises - odds are you have done too much! Always be sure to ice after the exercises as well. You may also want to consider taking a course of ibuprofen if necessary. Ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory medication that can help reduce swelling. However, to get this affect from the medication, it needs to be taken as directed on the bottle (generally 2-200mg tablets every 4-6 hours), otherwise you only get the pain reduction.

I hope this helps! And again, these are just general ideas, but hopefully they help you!

one of the best responses I've ever seen on the forums. I'm not going to try and follow that up with any other advice if you want a little bit of sarcastic humor I suggest reading Shut up and Run's blog on the nine stages of injury. Its hilarious because its true. Its super hard to be sidelined by injuries. Best wishes.
  • jimmie25
    jimmie25 Posts: 266
    Options
    oh wow, thanks a lot! thats more info than I got from my doctor..

i've been taking 600mg of ibuprofen 3-4 times a day. neither the pain nor swelling are so bad anymore, not as bad as i was afraid of anyways. i had to move yesterday and therefore didnt get much rest. but apart from the bruising my foot seems to be getting a tiny bit better (or maybe thats just the ibuprofen..)

i guess my mental distress is much worse than the physical.
  • umer76
    umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    @crobl....thanks for sharing very good advice. I have Achilles tendonitis problem with both of my heel tendons. I am currently undergoing accupuncture treatment. I had been on the pain killers for last 10 months. For last couple of weeks I am not taking the tablets and managing the pain with ice treatment. I do couple of essentric exercises and hope to continue with them.
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    I'm glad I could be helpful =) if you need any more ideas once these get way too easy, I can give you some tips on starting into weight bearing/balance exercises
  • tinahelton
    tinahelton Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Stay positive! Don't push too hard too fast & risk reinjury! I didn't listen to my docs when I tore my plantar facia in my foot & took over a year to heal! I wasn't a runner (by any means :) I was an avid softball player until I hurt my foot...playing softball of course. Anyway...be very careful and let your body heal! Everyone's body heals at different rates so try not to get frustrated! Best of luck to you!!!
  • marnet12
    marnet12 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks crobl for professional advice! Nice to see.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    crobi - that was one of the best responses I've ever seen on a forum. Thank you.
  • drkuhl2017
    drkuhl2017 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    i had this little accident last thursday and now have to deal with a partially torn ligament in my ankle. i have to use crutches for the first week and try to rest as much as possible. as a runner, that is probably one of the worst things that can possibly happen. I might have to wait up to 3 months until i can slowly start running again.

i read all these horror stories about how people couldnt walk or run properly the first YEAR after the injury.. does anyone have experience with this kind of injury? any advice how to speed up the healing process? anyone who did not have to wait 12 months until they could start living and exercising normally again?

my doctor was no big help as his english was very bad (and finnish too for that matter) and he just kept saying that probably I won't need surgery but physiotherapy "at some point" but when I asked him specific questions on how to live with this the first 1-2 weeks he just said "rest, don't run and keep it cold".

i'm going to see my new doctor here in GER (just moved here) in 2 weeks when he gets back from vacation. any advice on how to deal with this til then? Or just some cheerful words otherwise? I hate being "handicapped" like this, my mom and brother have to take care of me like i was a vegetable, i feel terrible about it.

I am in the exact same boat. I have a torn ligament in my ankle and I'm seeing the surgeon on Tuesday. Try to stay positive, and sadly we cannot do much more. I too feel awful having to have to my parents pretty much weight on me, because I'm on crutches as well. I hope that yours heals soon! Good luck!
  • jimmie25
    jimmie25 Posts: 266
    Options
    surgeon? :O do you need an OP? :S