Breakfast! Can I get away with not eating it?!

Options

Replies

• deannajodouglass
    deannajodouglass Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    i've always thought a little breakfast is the way to go. i've grown up eating it, but never the whole "eggs, pancakes, hash browns, and some bacon all on one plate" thing. i tend to grab a yogurt cup in the morning, or a couple slices of sliced meat (like you put on sandwiches). it doesnt have to be anything big or grandiose. you said you like coffee, maybe a little biscotti or something just to have with it. nothing big, just a little something to get in your stomach. the reason i encourage breakfast is because of the mentality that can be acquired from not eating it, the "oh, i didnt eat breakfast so i can get away with eating this" when you are full or snacking "just cuz". my mom did that a lot, and she's starting to eat breakfast now. she sees it as a big accomplishment, and when she starts off the day with something healthy, she tends to make healthier choices throughout the day because it makes her feel good about herself. i dont know how other people deal with breakfast, this is just stuff i've experienced. hopefully it helps!
  • Pauline3290
    Options
    I don't always eat breakfast. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. The only difference I see is that I'm actually hungrier throughout the day if I eat breakfast.

This. Glad im not the only one.

Me too, if I eat early I'm hungry all day!!
  • CatholicUK
    CatholicUK Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Wow! Just got home from mass and so many people have responded to my initial post! Didn't expect so many in such a short time frame!

Have read through every post that you've all written and it's really interesting to see how eating breakfast affects each of you individually. It does appear to be a matter of personal choice and that it has no detrimental affect on your body by skipping it.

Like some of you have mentioned, by eating breakfast I feel super hungry all day. I may have to have a look at this intermittent fasting... can anyone recommend any links where I can learn more about it please?

When I say "breakfast" by the way, I mean literally 3 tablespoons of Bran Flakes, so not much, but enough to make my body wretch!! lol!! It's so good to be reassured that it really isn't necessary to have to eat at silly o'clock in the morning!

Thank you so, SO much everyone :)

Marie xx
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    hi im not a breakfast fan but i do have it as it kick starts your metabolism, sliced lemon in boiled water can help your metabolism also have you tried fruit smoothies as these can be drank in any amounts and would be classed as breakfast or meal , make your own fruit combo with either milk or yogart and is part of your 5 a day x hope this helps x
    This is a myth that's been debunked by actual clinical studies many times over. Metabolism ALWAYS is running. You don't "kickstart" it because it runs even while you sleep. This whole "kickstart" thing is the "feeling" people get when finally wake up.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I eat all the way up to 11pm-12am so I skip breakfast practically every morning. I'll eat usually around 12pm the next day. Have been doing this for umpteen years now.

IDEA Fitness member
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I don't eat it, never did. The thought of food in the morning makes me sick. I eat when I'm hungry.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    My husband pretty much never eats breakfast, except the occasional Sunday morning thing. He's lost near 70 pounds, lifts, and is overall just an inspiration.

I many times just have coffee. Sometimes I'll add a small granola bar or something around 80-100 calories if I'm hungry, but otherwise I skip breakfast too. It really doesn't hurt. They have gone back and forth on it "boosting" your morning metabolism, and there are plenty of studies showing that it does and some showing it doesn't. I think it all depends on the person and their genetics, honestly.
  • mazasmusings
    mazasmusings Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I for one can't go without eating breakfast, but I have known people who never eat it who are in much better condition than me. as it was said before, make sure you make up those calories somewhere.
    If you really feel like you should do something, make a smoothie to take with you on the go!
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I do leangains type intermittent fasting which is basically just skipping breakfast.

And my metabolism slowed down.

My muscles atrophied.

I became fatter.

NOT!

It's been great since I chucked breakfast. (I won't eat anything for breakfast but I will usually have coffee with some splenda as my "breakfast")

Even when I can't get my workouts in, skipping breakfast(or shall I say doing leangains since I might have the 3 meals and a snackpeople accuse me of wrecking my metabolism) has helped me maintain.

During a vacation I wasn't able to workout. Just skipped breakfast. No weight gain.

And I put some nice muscle on while skipping breakfast.

It worked for me.

You will not wither away.

I didn't!
  • cherrybomb_77
    cherrybomb_77 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I've never been a breakfast person, but I make myself eat it because I'm less likely to binge later on in the day.

This is my issue. For years I didn't eat breakfast, or really even anything for lunch, and then by evening I was absolutely crazy with hunger and would completely binge. Now I eat a small breakfast and a modest lunch and I don't feel like eating my face by 5pm.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I don't always eat breakfast. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. The only difference I see is that I'm actually hungrier throughout the day if I eat breakfast.

This. Glad im not the only one.

This is me as well!! I don't start getting hungry until I eat for some reason...I hardly ever eat breakfast either but I have my coffee though and I usually don't eat until at least 10-11am but after that I am pretty hungry most of the day...I think as long as you get your calories and nutrients in that day it doesn't matter what time you start... :)
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I've never been a breakfast person, but I make myself eat it because I'm less likely to binge later on in the day.

This is my issue. For years I didn't eat breakfast, or really even anything for lunch, and then by evening I was absolutely crazy with hunger and would completely binge. Now I eat a small breakfast and a modest lunch and I don't feel like eating my face by 5pm.
    Well the idea is to eat when you're hungry and NOT wait till you're starving.

IDEA Fitness member
  • apriltrainer
    Options
    No you can't skip breakfast. That meal gets your metabolism started for the day. I hate eating breakfast too. So I try to have a protein shake for breakfast. Try that. But be sure the sugar grams are 2 or below per serving. I hope this helps you.

Your metabolism stops overnight? Holy ****!

Please do not listen to this person.

LOL! Someone told me that too when I was skipping breakfast. My friend who is a daily protein shake in the morning person still can't shed her weight...and I dropped from 135 lbs in May to 120 today. Hmmm,... I wonder who is right?
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    You can if you don't want to lose weight. You need to keep your metabolism going, which means eating every 2-3 hours. If you can do that, then you will lose faster because your digestive enzymes have something to work on..
    Give it a try, even if it's only for 2 weeks. You'll feel better and your body will be happier.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I've always hated eating breakfast because I'd end up starving by 10am if I did eat. I now know that I'm starving then because my metabolism goes up after eating breakfast! Ive had oatmeal for breakfast nearly every day since January and I've lost 40lbs without being hungry for hours. I think it was because if I didnt eat breakfast, Id eat a LOT more later in the day and go to bed full. It wasn't easy at first but I found that if I made something that was really tasty (to me), I'd eat.
    I know everyone doesnt like oatmeal but if you actually cook it and not microwave it, and add fresh mashed berries to it, it's delicious, only 150 cals plus fruit cals.
    Just experiment and see what works for you. If you don't want to eat breakfast, dont.
  • twiztc
    twiztc Posts: 135
    Options
    I have rarely been a breakfast person but i take medication and been told i really need to eat something before i take it.

I can eat when im at work but still struggle to eat anything before lunch on my days off.
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Breakfast (literally meaning "breaking the fast" of the night) is the first meal taken after rising from a night's sleep, most often eaten in the early morning before undertaking the day's work.

Nutritional experts have referred to breakfast as the most important meal of the day, citing studies that find that people who skip breakfast are disproportionately likely to have problems with concentration, metabolism, and weight

Source wikipedia
  • apriltrainer
    Options
    I have found with skipping breakfast I am just as hungry at lunchtime, as I am if I had eaten breakfast.No difference at all. I also did an experiment with a blood glucose monitor. I would check my blood sugar right before lunch whether I had eaten breakfast or not.

results from the 3rd week in May-
    Mon- didn't eat breakfast 82
    tues - ate breakfast 78
    wed - didn't eat breakfast 81
    Thurs- ate breakfast 81

etc..

body is great at homeostasis..
  • twoscimitars
    twoscimitars Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    http://www.leangains.com/2012/06/why-does-breakfast-make-me-hungry.html

I've recently had an epiphany. I'm not really hungry at breakfast, and when I do eat it, I'm STARVING all day. So it's not really helping me to eat breakfast. As long as you're getting enough nutrition, and you feel OK if you skip breakfast, go for it. You need to find what works for you, as long as it's healthy.
  • TiffanyWasmer
    TiffanyWasmer Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I agree with the most of the previous posts...what works for some, won't work for you and vice versa. You have to do what's best for you! I personally only eat "real breakfast" on the weekends, but usually have a protein shake during the week.
    For ME, it helps wake me up and keep me full until lunch but at around 150 calories, I can save the rest for real food that I really want. Keep up the good work! :flowerforyou: