Fad Dieters on this site….

Options
What is your opinion of users on this site that “fad diet” i.e. south beach, 3 day diet, atkins, etc.? Do you support them? Do you steer them away? Do you keep your mouth shut?
I have a little confusion as to why some users would use this site and count calories, etc. if they are fad dieting. If you are on a fad diet that requires you to eat tuna and crackers for 5 days, why even track the calories if the reason you went on the diet in the first place was because you believed that it would work in helping you lose weight?

I’m not a fad diet hater because some of us (a lot of us) have been there done that and have found the light….but at the same time, is this the “right” place for fad dieters to be?

Replies

• twin2
    twin2 Posts: 404
    Options
    I am not a "fad diet" hater either, but I have been there and done that and have failed miserably! Maybe counting the calories is just a way to have a back up plan in the process too. A change of lifestyle is really the only way to go.
  • ali258
    ali258 Posts: 403
    Options
    My opinion has always been that fad diets are great if you want to lose weight for a specific reason (i.e. wedding or reunion) and then you're going to go back to your normal eating habits. Some of them aren't really that bad though. South Beach, for example, is a great way to lead a healthy carb lifestyle. It's really manageable long-term, and is based on diets to help with diabetes and heart disease. I think with a diet like South Beach, this site could be helpful so those following South Beach can make sure they're getting the right balance of nutrients.

I don't know much about a lot of other fad diets, but maybe through tracking calories, the least healthy of the diets will be exposed as very unhealthy. I would imagine that if I was supposed to eat 1200 calories a day and I saw that my cabbage diet was only giving me 100 calories a day, I'd quickly realize that something was wrong.

Just my two cents...

-Alison
  • OliveBranch
    Options
    I have seen a few posts from people looking for the "quickest way to lost ten pounds" or asking people if they've tried specific diets...For the most part, I think the responses to such posts have been pretty respectful and try to encourage healthy changes over fad diets....sometimes it can be hard not to say, "don't do it! it's dangerous!"
    I have only read a few that really saddened and sort of frustrated me from people trying the latest craze.
    I never enjoy reading posts about "Has anyone tried the ____ diet?" Fill in the blank. Anything drastic always makes me a bit nervous.
    I chose not to reply to such posts unless it REALLY warrants a response...but it's all a judgment call.
    For the most part, everyone on this site is so great to each other and supportive and honest! It's a beautiful thing. I think the majority of members are really in it for a life-change and for support. I don't think this site nurtures or encourages drastic behavior.
    I have seen a few "stern" responses to questions about fad diets, but sometimes a person needs some tough love and hopefully won't make the same mistake so many of us have made!
  • MattySparky
    Options
    I dont know the answer to your quesiton but I do know that MFP is NOT a place for us to judge other people's fitness and/or weightloss methods. What you call "fad" dieting, others rely on as their regimen for fitness and health or weightloss. How would you feel if someone labelled your techniques as being simply a "fad". I reallize you said you're not a hater, so dont take me wrong Im not directing this at you personally and I certainly am not looking for an argument. I think MFP is the right place for anyone looking for support regardless of what kind of diet or whatever method they are using to reach their goals. I dont believe in such diets but it doesn't mean they dont work for the right people. MFP is for everyone and the minute we start questioning weather or not it is right for certain people is the minute open communication will cease. Just my thoughts I hope you're not offended in any way.
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I dont know the answer to your quesiton but I do know that MFP is NOT a place for us to judge other people's fitness and/or weightloss methods. What you call "fad" dieting, others rely on as their regimen for fitness and health or weightloss. How would you feel if someone labelled your techniques as being simply a "fad". I reallize you said you're not a hater, so dont take me wrong Im not directing this at you personally and I certainly am not looking for an argument. I think MFP is the right place for anyone looking for support regardless of what kind of diet or whatever method they are using to reach their goals. I dont believe in such diets but it doesn't mean they dont work for the right people. MFP is for everyone and the minute we start questioning weather or not it is right for certain people is the minute open communication will cease. Just my thoughts I hope you're not offended in any way.

No offense taken, I asked for opinions, you gave yours and I appreiate that.

Me? I personally wouldn't care what anyone said about my avenue of losing weight, if they want to call it a fad, that's fine with me...but I know for some people who are very sensitive it may bother them but that's what I choose to call it. I didn't start this thread to bash what I call "fad dieters" - again, I have been there done that so many times, many differnent diets, I am not one to judge someone who is currently doing it.

I have just noticed lately on a few discussions, that a person on a short term diet have posted, they are receiving negative or harsh responses, not very many positive encouraging words or support, AND AGAIN, to each his own. If you want to respond in a harsh way, thats your opinion. If you want to encourage, go right ahead.

I was simply asking if this is the “right” place for them to be, because of all the negative and harsh responses I have seen lately. Of course you want everyone to be encouraging and supportive to ALL but it is not always like that. I could care less if people who want to eat nothing but soup for 10 days is here or not, more power to them. I was asking others’ opinions on the subject and wondering why they log calories if the purpose of them starting the diet was because of the promise to lose weight anyway.
  • christykowen
    Options
    I couldn't agree more with Matty Sparky, nice dog by the way, it is not our place to judge others or critique someone elses success or failure. Rather support and report on our own experiences. I too have followed many "fad" diets. They have mostly resulted in short term weight loss, that was not sustainable on that diet. Following South Beach or Adkins is not exactly fad dieting, as they can be a life style for some. They have plans for people that want to eat that way for a life time and are fully nutritionally complete. Not very many people would eat all cabbage soup, lemon juice, or grapefruit all the time and be healthy. However I remember some council which said when some practice is sterile and you are losing interest in that concept, change things up, don't give up. I have used that concept in my life and on occasion in my eating habits. Usually the true fad diet mainly loses water weight which can be quickly replaced however I have been able to lose a few pounds quickly then maintain it by going back to my boring eat a healthy organic styled diet watching and limiting my calorie intake, and excercise. Sometimes you have to experience some things for yourself. I think it is a long journey that teaches you weight loss is not very glamorous, it is mostly hard work.
  • sajar_06
    sajar_06 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Fad dieting, well I think we all have done that at one time or another in our lives to find out that it not the long term answer. Lifestyle change is the only way to get it off and keep it off. Maybe by using this site and the tools available as well as the support of others that even the fad dieter can change their life and make a difference. Everyone is welcome no matter what their reasons for being here. God Bless, Brenda
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Technically "a fad diet is simply a weight loss diet that becomes very popular (often quickly) and then may fall out of favor (sometimes just as quickly)."

That would include weight watchers. Personally a fad diet is only a fad if you treat it as such. Some are sustainable -For me and others who have thyroid problems or blood sugar problems (insulin resistance and diabetes) Atkins or South Beach or other low carbohydrate diets, can be and must be sustainable if continuation of life is what we desire. Then there are those that are not sustainable as a lifestyle ( like cabbage soup or master cleanse), people use as temporary weight loss method. Any diet that is not properly researched and does not have balance based or your physiological needs is not one you should undertake.

Is this the right place for me to be? Yes because Mike in his infinite wisdom put in a customizable option for us to choose our own percentages of nutrient balance. For me that means I cannot eat 1500 calories worth of cheesecake and meet my protein requirement (oh how I wish that were so:laugh:). Those who have had gastric bypass and other surgeries for weight loss can come here and log and see if they are meeting their doctor required protein goals.

The only people who I see who this place would not be for are those who insist on starving themselves (eating less than the recommended amount w/o a doctor supervision) and encourage others to do so.

That is my humble opinion.
  • MisoSoup79
    Options
    I love it here. I don't mind that "fad dieters" hang out here. I feel that eventually, they will either leave because their fad diet isn't working in the long term or they will slowly learn about true lifestyle changes and become a healthier, wiser person for it. I simply won't acknowledge advice from anyone who uses extreme tactics to lose weight.

Many of us have tried fad diets in the past out of desperation. Sometimes we can only learn from experiencing our own mistakes, no matter how many people try to educate us otherwise. We, as a community, shouldn't be pointing our fingers saying "I told you so" when they find their ultimate goals unattainable. Instead, we should be here to pick them up when they fall and encourage them to try to lose weight in a healthy way... and show them how easy it really is.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't agree with Matty.

I, like Olive, tend not to post to questions regarding fad diet types that emphasize quick weight loss. OK so maybe part of the reason I am so personally adamant about it is because I worked hard to get where I am, I did the research, I studied, and I struggled, and still struggle. So seeing someone try to take what I consider shortcuts is frustrating. My Fitness Pal is about becoming healthy and promoting healthy weight loss. It's also about community relationships, differing opinions, advice and suggestions, support, and a general vent board for people who are on this journey.
    While I don't think MFP should be promoting any type of activity that is contrary to the above rolls, I also don't think it's our place to deny our help, support, and advice from them. It's admirable to have the attitude of "to each their own" but at some point, when their own infringes on your own and others own (either through ignorance, impatience, or any other reason), I fee it's our duty to offer up the information we feel is correct. Now, that doesn't mean we should ever disrespect others, that's different, we should always respect our fellow MFPians (I just thought that up now :tongue: ), I don't think we should just stand around when someone (either knowingly or not) promotes a topic that we find to be unhealthy or toxic to the members of the site. Remember, many come on here without the knowledge they need, and seeing topics that offer advice you consider to be less than healthy and not trying to offer correction is doing a disservice to these people.

You can still be a good MFPian without always agreeing with someone, in fact, I feel that you are at your best when you are being completely honest without offering insult or injury. I don't mean being a contrarian though.
    Just MHO guys.

-Banks
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I agree with Miso and SHBoss.

I don't think we should deny support to anyone on this site. And I think to some extent we are obligated to share our knowledge and experience to guide people, especially if the path they are on is dangerous. Even if this makes us unpopular. I'm not saying we have to be cruel, just that we have to look out for one another and put health above emotions.

And really I would argue against this statement:
    "I dont believe in such diets but it doesn't mean they dont work for the right people."
    While some "fad" diets may work they tend to be the kind that promote healthy living (like weight watchers). I think the kinds of diets most of us think of when we hear fad diets, are ones like the grapefruit diet, ones that work for no one and are unhealthy for anyone who tries them. Saying they are ok for some people I think is a dangerous over generalization.

Just my opinon.