At The Gym..

Options
About a year ago I went through a tough breakup which kind of kick started a big weight loss for me. Then I got 3 jobs, 1 full time & 2 part times and I'm a full time mommy. So it has gotten hard for me to take care of myself the way I needed and became easier and easier to just grab food on the go to stop the hunger. Well I just couldn't stand the working from the time I woke up to the time I went to bed and never having time with my son. So I stuck to the 1 full time job. And now a few months later I'm a little stuck at the same weight and it's not getting any lower. I've been researching online and there is so many things out here saying do this and don't do that and other things saying the exact opposite. I'm trying to find the best routine to maximize my workout at the gym. If anyone has advice or tips, I'll take anything I can get. I'm very determined to reach my goals.

Replies

• RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you are trying to do. Strength train, or cardio or both? I do both and I strength training 3-5 days a week. But I don't have kids, so this is probably alot easier for me to schedule than for a parent. 'The New Rules of Lifting for Women' is a good starting point and gives you some good info into the why and how of strength training.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    with an hour at the gym you can get a lot of stuff done.

3 days a week, an hour is enough time to do a heavy lifting program like new rules of lifting for women, stronglifts 5*5 or starting strength (i prefer the latter 2 because NROL4w gets too long and complicated with the moves for me in the latter stages ) + some cardio AFTER you lift.

that's 3 hours a week and that will do your body good.

if you have more time then you can try yoga for relaxing (i'd imagine being that busy means you need to relax)
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    with an hour at the gym you can get a lot of stuff done.

3 days a week, an hour is enough time to do a heavy lifting program like new rules of lifting for women, stronglifts 5*5 or starting strength (i prefer the latter 2 because NROL4w gets too long and complicated with the moves for me in the latter stages ) + some cardio AFTER you lift.

that's 3 hours a week and that will do your body good.

if you have more time then you can try yoga for relaxing (i'd imagine being that busy means you need to relax)

exactly- you only need 3 days a week for 1 hour- be agressive 20 min of cardio and the rest strength training. go every other day to the gym. let your body rest. thats what i did. and of course your diet, has to be a lifestyle change.
  • katcedeno
    katcedeno Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have been reading that Cardio is the way to go with what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to lose overall body fat, I've heard some things saying to build muscle cause it burns more fat but I've also heard that if you don't lose the weight first you're just building muscle on top of body fat. Which is what confuses me. & I've been wanting to do yoga ( YES I really do need some relaxation in my life lol ) but my friend who does yoga says its best to do it when I'm at my goal weight because it's more for toning and not weight loss. I'm just utterly confused & helpless!

THANK YOU everyone. I can do about 3 - 4 times a week at the gym for an hour no problem. Just having trouble as far as what I should be doing there. lol.
  • joeyplatypus92
    Options
    any physical exertion will burn bodyfat. weight lifting is more effective than cardio.

building muscle increases your metabolism (increases caloric deficit, so its easier to eat less calories), and the muscle is under bodfat. to burn the bodyfat you eat below your caloric maintenance, forcing your body to use the stored energy; fat. taking away the fat gets you "toned" since you dont have the fat covering your muscles.
  • pandeamonia
    pandeamonia Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have heard time and time again: Cardio. Cardiovascular exercise burns fat. So does having muscle. Having more muscle on your body burns more calories during rest. So, both are important. I have also been told by trainers and the owner of a nutrition shop/body builder that cardio AFTER strength training will burn more fat, the explanation being that the strength training burns the energy when breaking down and being exerted, so doing cardio after strength burns more directly from the fat.

I'm not a doctor, or an expert. But, I talk to people familiar with it and do research from time to time. This has been the most common response I receive regarding wanting to burn off fat and get muscle tone. Just passing on info that I believe credible. :-)

Best of luck to you!
  • zakkthebear
    zakkthebear Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    whatever your routine is, change it. your body will naturally adapt to any repeated anything, everything from drugs to lunges, your body will get used to.

muscle confusion is key, IMO. switch between light and heavy weights, jog on week, elliptical the next. throw in a spin class, anything to keep your body and muscles confused.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're primarily interested in weight loss. You can make that happen thru diet alone. If you want to add a physical activity, add whatever you actually want to do. Don't listen to your friend. Do yoga if you think you'll enjoy it
  • katcedeno
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the advice! I truly appreciate it. Strength training then cardio seems to be the way to go. I've of course started eating healthier.

Good Luck to all of you as well on your journey. :)
  • katcedeno
    Options
    Sorry I should have posted this with my last post. But my goal is overall weightloss & tightening the skin in my belly (from having a 10 pound baby) then toning when I'm at the right weight.