anyone else combine 30 Day shred with another workout

Options
I am afraid that I am going to get bored doing the same workout everyday. Has anyone gotten results from alternating 30 day shred with, say, ripped in 30. I am thinking of doing level 1 of each and alternate days...when I move to level 2, alternate levels 2 of ripped with level 2 shred, etc. Anyone? thoughts?

Replies

• Desika87
    Desika87 Posts: 111
    Options
    Hey there :)

I don't combine it with another "already made workout" but beside of it I cycle and swim or crosstraining :)

But you will get good results with that mix because it's a similar concept... I only have the "30 day shred" so I cannot talk much about the other one but from what I've read it shouldn't be a problem...

Good luck for your journey :)
  • vicmonster
    vicmonster Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I alternated with cardio days to give my muscles time to rest.
  • dancingnancies
    dancingnancies Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    i alternate all jillians workouts. i think they each focus on different muscle groups. do you have her 6week 6 pack or kiler buns and thighs? those are great to incorporate on days you arent doing 30ds or ripped! goodluck!! :-)
  • ccbennett2000
    ccbennett2000 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    That is EXACTLY what I started as of yesterday. I have used 30DS in the past and was scared I would get bored starting all over again and so I did the Ripped in 30 Week 1 yesterday and plan to do the first work out in 30DS today. I am going to alternate all week long and then move into Level 2 for both next week and so on. I plan to use whatever day I am busiest at work as a recovery day and then, on weekends, I plan on doubling up by doing both on same day and/or pairing the video of the day with additional cardio. Let me know how it works for you!
  • charmcnab
    charmcnab Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Do you think the results would be similar alternating her workouts than if I stuck just to 30 day shred?
  • cherrybomb_77
    cherrybomb_77 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I'm on level 3 of 30DS and I also work out 3-4x a week at Curves. I aim to do 30DS 5-7x a week.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I see threads with multi-DVD challenges all the time on here. I know that I wasn't losing weight with 30DS, so I started doing Extreme Shed and Shred after it, and then I saw the scale move. (I should note that I was losing inches like crazy during the whole thing)
  • dancingnancies
    dancingnancies Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Do you think the results would be similar alternating her workouts than if I stuck just to 30 day shred?

i think it depends. if you are just beginning to workout regularly 30ds is a great start. if you have been doing 30ds for awhile then i would switch it up to get a bigger variety of exercise. :-)
  • charmcnab
    Options
    Dont you get bored doing the same workout for 10 days in a row?
  • cherrybomb_77
    cherrybomb_77 Posts: 411 Member
    Options

I don't. Some people might, though.
  • thenicksters
    thenicksters Posts: 31 Member
    Options

I just did day 10 of level 1 this morning! In the past I did get bored with it, but this time I was actually focusing on doing every move, every time, and it went by faster for me. I also wrote how I felt, when I needed a break and other notes about my workout in the "exercise notes" portion of my Diary, and used that to push myself harder the next day. About day 7 I had to increase my weights, so that was like a new workout. Starting level 2 tomorrow and I'm scurrrred :-)
  • ccbennett2000
    Options
    To break boredom, I up the size of the weights I am using every 2 or 3 days to increase the challenge/intensity.

My reason for the switch up is not as much about boredom as it is what I have read in the past about rest when strength training to give the muscles a chance to rebuild and recover. I worry about doing the program 10 days in a row without rest. I figure the Ripped in 30 might target different muscle groups which will give others the chance to rest and recover between workouts. Not sure if my theory is on target, though....
  • tealtrim
    tealtrim Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the 30 day shred since June 11 and was finding it a bit boring, so I looked through my DVD collection and found a Biggest Loser DVD, featuring Bob Harper and Kim Lyons with some season 2 and 3 contestants. I alternate between the shred and Biggest Loser, and on weekends/days off do both. I find the exercises on the Biggest Loser DVD compliment the ones on the shred, but they also target other muscle groups as well (triceps for example). I also like the warm up/cool down for the Biggest Loser--they seem to spend a bit more time on these aspects than Jillian does.

Give mixing it up a try...

Teal
  • charmcnab
    Options
    thanks for the replies everyone....still trying to decide how I am going to approach it. I have lots of her other DVDs..doing a bit more reading and will let ya know how I decide to proceed. I will tell ya, I took some before pictures and I was disgusted so this is def a GO!
  • ccbennett2000
    Options
    So charmcnab - I did the first workouts of both videos + one day I took a run because my husband was too into the golf match on Sunday to get away from the one TV we have that is connected to a DVD. The workouts were so similar that I am not sure I could alternate these throughout the week and (a) not get bored and (b) work the different muscle groups as I hoped to. SO! I came up with an alternative schedule that will take me through 28-42 days instead of 30. Thought you might be interested and so I am posting below.

Using 3 lb weight on workout days...

T - 30 Day Shred Workout 1
    W - 30 Days Ripped Week 1
    R - Walk/Run (1 Hour)
    F - 30 Day Shred Workout 2
    Sa - 30 Days Ripped Week 2
    Sun - Walk/Run (1 Hour)
    M - 30 Day Shred Workout 3
    T - 30 Days Ripped Week 3
    W - Walk/Run (1 Hour)
    F - 30 Days Ripped Week 4
    Sa - 30 Days Ripped Week 4
    Su - Walk/Run (1 Hour)
    M - REST on day 14

I recognize that there is only 1 rest day every 2 weeks and so the second walk/run may turn into a leisurely stroll through the neighborhood with my kids if I am feeling run down.

If this 2 week trial goes well, I plan to repeat for another two weeks but increase to 5 lb. weights (resting on day 28).
    Then, repeat for another two weeks but increase to 8 lb. weights (resting on day 42).
    And, then! If I am not bored or burned out....
    I plan to repeat for another two weeks but increase to my 10 lb. dumbbells (resting on day 56).

I am hoping all the muscle confusion will help keep my body guessing and I will burn more. If it works, I just might be at goal and buff in time for Labor Day vs. Thanksgiving :)