Shin Splints

Options
So a couple months ago I started walking again and developed a pain in my shins I started to believe it was shin splints. It wouldn't let me walk more than 5 minutes. Well now I've lost 6 lbs, and no longer have that pain! Yayyyy!

Replies

• Josette89
    Josette89 Posts: 244
    Options
    Yeah, I think you just had to get your body going again. The muscles in your shins are stretching and working, especially if you are speed walking. That's awesome. If that happens again just stretch and ice it. I was in Track and Cross Country for a few years, no matter how much I ran, I always got shin splints. I just stretch it out. :) but that kind of pain is always a good one, hehe. :)
  • slim104
    slim104 Posts: 160
    Options
    I had that problem about 2 months ago when i first started walking. Terrible burning sensation on the shins, My friend recommended buying proper walking boots instead of wearing trainers. So i did and i've never had pain again. Apart from the other day when my car was in the garage so decided to walk home in my trainers. Wow. For me at my weight, trainers are no good for walking more than a mile or so.
  • alissadough84
    alissadough84 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I started getting those, I went out and bought a foam roller to work my calves it really has helped.
  • cshep2k
    cshep2k Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    ICE....and Stretch. Especially stretch your calf muscles prior to walking or running. Shin splints are basically caused by the calf muscle being disproportionate to the tibialis anterior muscle or a tightness in the calf muscle. EIther way it can cause a 'pulling' on the tinialis anterior muscles which run along the shn. Shin Splints basically are a tearing away of the muscle from the sheath that connects them to the tibia (shin bone). So, stretch your legs very well, but Ice will really help prevent any further damage and will help the healing process.

This is a non-medical answer. This is what I was taught years ago. You may want to check it, but I think it is correct. Either way, I hope everything works out.
  • MzRKP
    MzRKP Posts: 19
    Options
    Thank you everyone! My shin splints have gone away and I can walk better! I appreciate yall comments