Not Giving Up

Options
Hi, my name is Angie B. I've started MFP May 2, 2012 and finally found what works for me. I started gaining in my 30's. Now in my 40's it's really hard to lose it. I have exercise equipment and was doing very well losing inches but wasn't losing pounds. I have been having some issues lately losing the pounds since seeing some very recent pics of myself. I was disgusted even though I have lost weight. My boyfriend tells me that I do not look like I do in those pics. But, I did go through a day of depression afterward. I've been reading the messages and find comfort knowing I'm not the "only one" in this battle. I would love any suggestion that you all may have since I've been staying on track but the pounds are not falling off as quickly as they were. I refuse to give up until I reach my goal. And I will continue to use MFP even after.

Replies

• blkhairbeauty
    blkhairbeauty Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Join the crowd. I went off getting busy and now an extra 10 pounds, ECK, Now just got engaged and wont look for my dress til i lose 40 pounds so here I go.This time to the end. I really no the feeling, GOOD LUCK TO THE BOTH OF US,
  • dawnp1833
    dawnp1833 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Hi Angie. Your story sounds a lot like mine. (and plenty of people here too) Great job on losing 23 lbs already! That's pretty great. We're all in this together and we can do it! It seems like the pounds go faster at first. Are you watching inches too? When the scale doesn't go down as fast as I want, I can usually feel better because at least the measuring tape is moving.
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I know this feeling. You are moving, exercising and not losing weight, but you know inches are coming off. THAT is AWESOME!!!
    What is going on is you are gaining muscle. The muscle will help you to lose weight faster, plus it helps you to keep your body toned.

It is much worse to lose weight without exercise because your skins elasticity isn't as great in our 40's and things don't always go back where they started when you lose weight.. UNLESS you are exercising and strengthening your muscles.

I would encourage you to life weights in addition to whatever cardio you are doing. 2-3 x a week, do some lifting to help with the muscle tone. You will see that you lose weight, but MORE importantly you will lose inches.

Example: In the last two weeks I'm down about 6 lbs, but I'm down a full pant size. I bought 12's and 10's .. the 12's fit perfectly and now the 10's are loose. I'm not losing a lot of weight, but I'm losing inches!

You will see this too. In order to stay motivated you can measure yourself and set aside clothes that you want to wear. Try them on every few weeks and you will start seeing the changes. Do this for yourself.. your sanity.

Good luck!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    That's great, Angie. You have a great attitude...a sticking with it attitude. We all have had those days. Be encouraged that everyday you exercise and eat right, you are looking better...that's just how it works...you get fitter, you get better! You have better habits! You are a committed person, and you will get results because of that!

What exercise have you chosen? If you have not tried a heavy-lifting regimen, I highly recommend looking into that. I love the results from my weight-lifting, and will never stop doing it.

As far as weight loss, you may want to open another thread and open your diary. Many MFP people are excellent at offering very helpful advice. The best advice I have ever had came from mfp friends!!!

Enjoy your journey, you are doing an excellent job!

:)MinMin
  • michellepru
    Options
    I think losing 23 pounds is a pretty amazing accomplishment, considering so many people cannot even do that. So be proud of yourself for that! Also be proud that you are sticking through this. I would say not to worry so much about the scale number, and just go with your inches. If you are losing inches, then that means your losing something. That also means that you are doing something right! haha, so just keep with it. I have never lost any weight in my life, so I have major respect for anyone who has; like you!
  • AngieBee67
    AngieBee67 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Your suggestions help a lot. I have been worried about lbs because I am heavier than most people my size. I am very solid therefore I am not worried about the saggy skin. Lol. That's one thing I've never had. I will continue my journey. And I will try different things. I have added weights to my workout. But not much because I don't want to bulk up just yet. And, as soon as I am more comfortable I will open up my "diary."
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Your suggestions help a lot. I have been worried about lbs because I am heavier than most people my size. I am very solid therefore I am not worried about the saggy skin. Lol. That's one thing I've never had. I will continue my journey. And I will try different things. I have added weights to my workout. But not much because I don't want to bulk up just yet. And, as soon as I am more comfortable I will open up my "diary."
    Thats great...you will enjoy your slimmed-down body! Don't worry that you could bulk-up from lifting...absolutely you won't...but your muscle will be retained instead of lost due to the calorie deficit of weight loss diet...and that muscle is what burns your fat. Also there is a host of other benefits of weight lifting, including a more youthful look!!! So don't miss out on those good weight lifting routines because you think you will be bulky.