When do you stop your heart rate monitor?

Options
T_Marie4
T_Marie4 Posts: 104 Member
I've asked this question on my wall to my friends a month ago or so, decided to post to community as well. When do you stop your HRM - right after you stop working out or when your heart rate returns to baseline? I'm not sure what is right or gives most accurate cal. burn. Most of the time I stop it after my cool down stretches, but sometimes I wait until my HR is closer to 100 range (baseline is 70-80), which ends up looking like I worked out an extra 5 - 10 minutes more than I did. Just FYI I have a Polar FT4. Thanks for any advice!

Replies

• sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I stop when I return to around baseline. It's usually roundabout 112 bpm that i stop counting it.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    When the workout is over.
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I start when I leave the car, and I stop when I get back in the car. I just remember best that way, else I forget to start until halfway through my workout and I forget to turn it off completely.
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I typically stop it when my heart rate gets more normal. if I'm at the gym, I wait till I get out to my car and sit down (i leave the gym immediately after i work out, I don't shower or anything there) but if I take a walk around my apartment complex, i usually turn it off right away.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options

This. I'm not one to record the "afterburn".
  • takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit, so I don't have that problem, but.. I don't start tracking my work out until I step foot out my door, and end it when I am standing on my porch.
  • happypath101
    happypath101 Posts: 534
    Options
    I stop it when I take it off, e.g. just before my shower. What I found is that the extra burn I get during my cool down makes my HRM numbers virtually match the database numbers for most activites. That was probably the most interesting find from getting and wearing an HRM.
  • abideedum
    abideedum Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Is getting a heart rate monitor a good idea?? i know this is nothing to do with the topic but you guys using them would know.
  • mgnmsn
    mgnmsn Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I tend to stop it immediately when I am done with the workout. While my heart rate is returning to baseline, I guess that is just an added bonus for my own personal benefit. I have thought about this often. good post!
  • Brandi0418
    Brandi0418 Posts: 63
    Options
    I do mine when I complete my exercise.
  • mgnmsn
    mgnmsn Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    i love mine!
  • erin_zuk
    erin_zuk Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I turn it off when I've completed my "cool down" or stretches. Usually my HR is still about 110-115 at this point.
  • IndianCat3
    IndianCat3 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I stop my heart rate right after my workout is completed, so I can record it here on MFP :)
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    When it's over AND I subtract my TDEE from it as well.
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    After I wipe. Wait, what?
  • StarIsMoving
    StarIsMoving Posts: 437
    Options
    abide - Yes, HRM is the best investment I have made. I have a PolarFT60 and love it

OP - I stop mine after workout is done (cool down stretches). I figure the rest is just a bonus
  • loneworg
    loneworg Posts: 342 Member
    Options

This. I'm not one to record the "afterburn".
    same here.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I stop it when I take it off, e.g. just before my shower. What I found is that the extra burn I get during my cool down makes my HRM numbers virtually match the database numbers for most activites. That was probably the most interesting find from getting and wearing an HRM.

The problem with this is that the database tends to give way too high numbers for calories burned. I bought a HRM because I wanted accurate numbers. Back when I was relying on the database, I would take whatever it said I was burning and subtract about 25%.

To answer the OP's question, I start mine immediately before exercise and stop it as soon as I have ended. I do not wait for my HR to return to normal.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Is getting a heart rate monitor a good idea?? i know this is nothing to do with the topic but you guys using them would know.
    I use mine whenever I work out and I eat back most or all of (and sometimes more than!) my calories burned. If you are going to rage against the system put in place by MFP and NOT eat back your exercise calories, then you likely ought to save your money and just keep working out, trusting in the physical results rather than the numbers.
  • shedding60
    shedding60 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I never knew if there was a correct time to stop it, so I've always just stopped it once i've finished stretching.