Eating out of boredumb!

Options
I do this alot. I eat because I am boredand have nothing else to do. I am really bad at this when I am watching TV also. Does anyone else have this problem too? What did you do to overcome it?

Replies

• GypsyBaby91
    Options
    I find something else to do.. Im in college, so I study. I'm trying to quit smoking too.. so its counterproductive but i smoke when im craving food and im not actually physically hungry.. hmm u could drink water when u get hungry out of boredom, and txt/call someone to keep u unbored. =]
  • lbrantley1
    Options
    YES! i feel like i need to eat everytime i watch tv hahaa. . im bad
  • a00link
    Options
    Drinking water should help, but if you need to snack, just find some kind of significantly minute snack to nibble on. Also try to plan ahead for it. But since it's not hunger calling it's the impulse, I've also heard of chewing gum but I don't know how useful that would be.
  • sngnyrslp
    sngnyrslp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I am a huge bored eater!
    There are a couple of things I do to try to stop myself: always have fruits and especially veggies around. Veggies are great for bored snacking because it's nearly impossible for you to eat enough to ruin your eating for the day. Also, next time you get up to get food, get a glass of cold water instead, it gives your hands and mouth something to do and is refreshing (and zero calories!). If you must snack while watching tv or hanging around (We all MUST snack sometimes, there's just no way around it it seems!), don't bring the whole bag with you. That is, rather than getting a bag of chips and munching them while you watch tv, put a handful in a bowl and leave the bag in the kitchen. That way, you wont zone out while watching TV and eat more than you should.
    I hope this helps!
  • ali258
    ali258 Posts: 403
    Options
    Drink hot cocoa, coffee or tea. Learn to knit or crochet. Walk around the house while you watch TV. Chew gum. Scrapbook. Find something that keeps your hands or mouth busy without food.

You can do it.

-Alison
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I just stopped getting those snacks out. When you find yourself going to the pantry to grab a bag of chips, just make a conscious decision not to do it. I sometimes find myself reaching for that bag, and I say "NO!" to myself and walk away. It works for me :) I do drink a lot of water while watching tv though...that's a change you could make! Try to see how many glasses you can drink before bedtime...a favorite pastime of mine hehe
  • suerichard
    Options
    :happy: :flowerforyou: Think positive always! I found that by putting me exercise bike and eliptical trainer where I can watch T.V helps. I've also started riding my exercise bike while reading romance novels, I can get lost in a good story and end up riding for an hour before I know it! Where I live we just got 8 inches of snow, our first for this year, and now I'm looking forward to snowshoeing instead of walking, it burns lots more calories. Good luck! Sue.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I have several strategies. Water is always a good first step, because even if it doesn't totally satisfy you, it DOES fill you a bit so if you do eat something else it won't take as much to fill you.

Veggies have been mentioned, but I will be more specific. Baby carrots are quick and easy and crunchy. For me, usually its gotta be crunchy if I am having a "snack attack." If I have the calories available, I will do a little hummus for dipping.

I am also big on spicy, so when that is a craving, I will dip celery sticks in fresh salsa. Very crunchy, AND spicy.

Sometimes, lets face it, the crunch you crave is a chip or a cracker. I am a big fan of single serving packs for this purpose as I find it easier to limit portions this way, and many of the single serving packs are about 100 calories.

If "sweet" is your thing, sometimes a little can kill the craving. I am a fan of the "fun size" or "snack size" bars.:heart: They are anywhere from 65 to just over 100 calories, depending upon type of candy and size of bar, and I can be satisfied with one of them. If I want something a little more substantial and filling, the Fiber Plus Bars made by Kellogs are very filling and satisfy my sweet tooth as well. I like the Kellog's brand rather than the "Fibars"(can't remember who makes them), because the Kellog's has about 1/2 the sodium of the other brand.

Gum was mentioned, but I personally do NOT recommend gum. When I chew it, I actually get HUNGRIER!!:grumble: My theory is that chewing gum stimulates the production of saliva and gastric juices and if there is nothing there for them to work on, you end up hungry. I know some people SWEAR by it, but the only time I chew gum is if I have overeaten and want to be more comfortable. Haven't had any need for gum for a long time.:happy:

I hope these snack ideas will help you.
  • jessicajoy87
    Options
    Great advice everyone thanks!
  • meggo
    meggo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I enjoy trying out different herbal teas- especially when I get that late night craving for something sweet. I just bought a sampler box from Twinings that soothes my sweet tooth before bed.
  • cherie2304
    cherie2304 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    First step is knowing why you are reaching for something to eat. I found that when I'm bored I go to the pantry and look for something. When I realize I'm bored I will start cleaning up the kitchen or go somewhere else for a little bit. You just have to recognize it and move away. haha

Good luck!!!!!
  • jessicajoy87
    Options
    First step is knowing why you are reaching for something to eat. I found that when I'm bored I go to the pantry and look for something. When I realize I'm bored I will start cleaning up the kitchen or go somewhere else for a little bit. You just have to recognize it and move away. haha

Good luck!!!!!

LOL! I love your little saying at the bottom of your ticker! Thats how I feel sometimes!
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    I chew gum and find anything to keep my hands busy.
  • cherie2304
    cherie2304 Posts: 632 Member
    Options

Good luck!!!!!

LOL! I love your little saying at the bottom of your ticker! Thats how I feel sometimes!

Thanks!! I have a magnet at work with it on it. A friend of mine called me a few weeks ago asking if I still had it. I told her yes and she was like well you need to get your butt to church cuz you have become the skinny chic. hahaha