Who else here has PCOS?

Options
2»

Replies

• LexyLou_5
    LexyLou_5 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed of friday, didn't come as a shock to me as I've thought it for the past few years,.

I do not want children, i suffer with weight issues, lots of hair and acne.

I have just joined an amazing group on Facebook, even though I've only been on since yesterday I'm loving and they are so helpful

feel free to add me :)
  • Maddi_InBetweenDays
    Options
    Hi hi! I was diagnosed 16 years ago, but with weight loss I am almost symptom free. It most definitely is a lifestyle change, with diet and exercise being the best (and safest) treatment, for me at least. Feel free to add or send a message and we can support each other and share suggestions :)
  • sthomse5
    sthomse5 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Meeeee! I do, it blows. Feel free to add me!
  • MrsObundles
    MrsObundles Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. There is a support group on MFP and I've found it useful to read the blogs and to ask questions. PCOS Cysters Losing Together is the name of the group. You can also friend me ;)
  • michelle_mareshfuehrer
    michelle_mareshfuehrer Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Wow--we sound very similar. I was diagnosed with PCOS/insulin resistance in May 2009. At that time, I weighed 186 and was miserable. I have been on 500mg of Metformin every day since then. When I started getting some energy back that Christmas, I lost a few lbs. and held on at 179 for a long time. My lowest weight SINCE PCOS was 162, which is what I was this past May when I got married. Before PCOS, I weighed 135. I would like to get back to 135. I'm on the 1200 cal diet, but also am challenged with the sugar. Would love to be support buddies on here.
  • CharisSunny
    CharisSunny Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed in 2009 and put on Metformin and BC. My insulin resistance levels were 3times normal at the time.

Cycles have been like clockwork since and I don't do anything special to boost my weightloss.
    I eat more than I did, because I have a slow metabolism and I eat plenty fruit and vegetables. Also get up and move my ample behind as much as my health will allow.

I want to be retested in a few months so I can eliminate the Metformin from my daily pill regimen.

All the best.
  • pandelka
    pandelka Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I don't have PCOS, but I'm Pre-Diabetic. I am on Metformin. Two and a half months after I started taking it I am finally able to loose weight like a normal person (-15lbs). Of course it's not a magic pill, it will not make the weight dissapear by itself, I've accomplished that with exercises (3-4 times a week) and diet (1200kcal).
  • JaclynnGail
    JaclynnGail Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS about 6 years ago. Never had a regular period....would have 2 in a month, and then not have one for 6 months. Tried to conceive for 2 years, 6 months of that with the help of Clomid. Had no luck...I never even got a positive ovulation test. Last fall, I decided to try to lose weight. Busted my butt for six months...it's hard, and I know that no one thing works for everyone. What worked for me was taking up running and netting between 1200 and 1500 calories a day. I ate lots of vegetable soup with beans, salad, vegetarian options, lean meat a couple of times a week, switched to black coffee and gave up desserts and beer except for the occasional weekend treat. Over the course of the six months, I went from about 170 down to 135. For the first time in my life, my periods became regular.

Much to my surprise, within a couple of months of my periods becoming regular...I became pregnant. I am now 15 weeks along and doing great. I'm able to eat a few more carbs and some of the other things I was limiting, and have had no ill effects. Have gained 5 pounds since becoming pregnant and am able to stay moderately active. So....it IS do-able. It's hard, but I recommend experimenting and figuring out what works for you. There is no magic PCOS fix, unfortunately...but, for me, it was like my body suddenly gave in to what I was trying to do. For the first month or so of running, eating healthy, etc., nothing happened and it was extremely frustrating. Then, it started coming off. I recommend working closely with your doctor through all of this and definitely staying away from fad diets and/or eating plans you won't be able to stick with long term. Good luck!
  • LoriInnerStrength
    LoriInnerStrength Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm a personal trainer who has a client who has suffered from extreme endometriosis, PCOS, and infertility. She's had a LOT of success giving up dairy. I blogged about this a couple of months ago...here's the link. Good luck!
    http://innerstrength4life.blogspot.com/2012/04/chronic-inflammation-vs-determination.html
  • ryansjo
    ryansjo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I found this thread! My husband and I have had no luck ttc, and finally the dr said I have pcos. I really had never heard of it, though after researching it, I realized I had always had several of the symptoms since I was a teenager. I had periods, but they were every two weeks and the bleeding lasted from 10-12 days. She diagnosed me with hypothyroid, and so the Synthroid helped reglulate my periods. But....still no ovulation. :( So she put me on clomid, then I stopped having periods naturally. So she put me on Provera. Since then, My periods have been pretty normal, but still no ovulation. I decided to get serious about the weight loss, and wait for a while before trying the Clomid again. I've been on metformin for about 3 weeks now, and have lost 6.2 lbs. yay me! But I have a looong way to go. Hopefully the weight loss will be the key to get me ovulating again, so we can finally have a baby!
  • Racheldt87
    Racheldt87 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I too have pcos and it's a pain.. I'm 24 about to turn 25 and was diagnosed when I was 21. My periods were never normal in high school. I would have 1 for a few weeks at a time then it would skip months. My doctor put me on Yasmin & spironolactone. I probably would of been diagnosed sooner had I gone to the right dr sooner. When I was 16 I gained 20 lbs (which is a lot when ur 5'1) out of no where while working out & eating healthy and I couldn't lose it. Then when I was 18 I got phentermine & lost it but after taking phent I gained it all back. I have repeated that cycle for the last 6 years of up 5-15 lbs every winter then phent every spring. Last year I did low carb and it worked awesome but I gained it all back over the winter. This year I'm trying to do it right.. No fad diet, no diet pills. And so far it's taking me 4 months to lose 3 lbs. I even did the full insanity program ( 6 days a week for 9 weeks). PCOS def makes losing weight harder but I'm not going to give up. I keep telling myself the longer it takes to lose these last 10 lbs the longer it will stay off
  • AmberMichele09
    AmberMichele09 Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I was recently told by my Obgyn that my insulin is high & possibly might have pcos. I was hoping for more information but didn't really receive it. I was told to keep dieting and meet with my primary care doctor. I just felt like my Obgyn would have more to say. She told not to worry but really didn't give me any direction.