hate doing weights

Options
How can I get myslef to do strength training? I do cardio first, then I'm too tired/bored/whatever to do weights. And if I do them before cardio then I do less cardio.

Maybe I should not do them on the same day?

Are there any videos you'd recommend? I need someone to lead me, otherwise I just wander from machine to machine at the gym.

I just got back from 50 mins of cardio, SHOULD do weights, but I'll tell myself I'll do them tomorrow when I'm "fresh" and can do it for longer but then I won't.

Help me please!

Replies

• lilmonita
    Options
    Perform strength training first :)
  • MadWorld
    MadWorld Posts: 200
    Options
    Hey... sounds like we're in the same boat. Hehe. I have no problem with cardio. I love running. I prefer an hour of running to 30 minutes of strength training. That's how much I hate it.

But, I know that I need it. So, I've set a new goal for myself. I've made it a goal to do strength training (The Firm) on M, W, F's. Then I do The Firm Ab Sculpt On Tue, Thurs. I'm only on week 3 of my new plan. I do mine at night because I get my running out of the way in the mornings.

The way I look at it is, I hated cardio when I started 5 years ago... but, I eventually came to love it through dedication and results. I'm hoping the same will happen with the strength/core training.
  • 2joe2
    2joe2 Posts: 13
    Options
    You should separate the weight training days from the cardio days. You only really need about 2 weight training days per week. The rest of the days can be for cardio and yoga or stretching. The way to make weights more fun is to do compound movements (means working a few different muscle groups in the same exercise). Compound movements are great for core muscles and they simulate real life movements. An example: using light dumb bells (from 1-5 lbs), do a lunge to the right. While in the lunge, lean forward towards your knee and raise the dumb bells in a straight line above your head. Stand back up and repeat on the other side. Do 10 on each side. Another great one is to use one dumb bell (about 5 lbs) held on each side with both hands. Then squat and twist so you're reaching behind your left foot and then, while standing up, twist around towards the right and lift the dumbell over your right shoulder. Repeat on the other side. Search the web. There are a lot of good sources for exercise routines. Good luck.
  • dreamangel18105
    dreamangel18105 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with doing weight training and cardio in the same day, but make sure to do your strength training first if you decide to do them both. You don't want to fatigue your muscles before you start your weights. If that still is too much, separate your workouts. Either separate them into different days, or if you have the time and/or energy, split them into morning/night.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Ideally, I alternate my cardio days and stregnth training days. I say strength training becuase I used to use exclusivly weights, but as I find more and more ways to kick my own *kitten* I've incorporated a lot of other stuff like push-ups, wrestling with an excersise ball etc.

Sometimes, my schedule/weather forces me to move a work out which means I have to double up. Nothing wrong with it, I have to prepare a little differently for it. On those days I do cardio before work and strength after work that way there is some seperation and recovery time. There have been a few rare days I do them back to back, and when that happens the second work out usually suffers.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with doing weight training and cardio in the same day, but make sure to do your strength training first if you decide to do them both. You don't want to fatigue your muscles before you start your weights. If that still is too much, separate your workouts. Either separate them into different days, or if you have the time and/or energy, split them into morning/night.

I disagree to a degree with the first statement. It's a little open ended for my taste.

the reason why most experts say to split up your anaerobic and aerobic workouts is because they use 2 distinct metabolic pathways. While anaerobic activity (which includes strength training) trigger an increase in HGH and testosterone, and a corresponding increase in cortisol, aerobic activity triggers a far lower amount of the former, but still a high amount of the latter (to stimulate the release of glucose for sustaned energy). The reason is simply because of the types of muscles that are being stressed in each situation (fast twitch vs slow twitch). If you combine the two, you minimize both by essentially flooding the body with need for energy, while also spiking the body's need to recover it's protein, calcium, and ATP levels. There have been multiple studies detailing this (i have them somewhere, the studies were outlined in a recent issue of OnFitness magazine as well, I forget which issue, but I can find and post the issue and page if you want it).

Now, if you separate, like dreamangel says, into different parts of the day, this may be enough time to allow the body to recover, but I wouldn't recommend this type of routine more than one or two times a week, and always give yourself extra recovery time after. But whether this will work depends on what you did for the first workout.

Remember, it's the pathways that are causing the problem (the release of hormones involved with strenuous exercise), not fatigue of the muscles, so it really doesn't make any difference if you do Upper body weights then running or vice versa, the chemicals are the same in your body, and that's what minimizes the overall results.
  • dreamangel18105
    Options
    I disagree to a degree with the first statement. It's a little open ended for my taste

All I mean is that it won't HARM your body to do them both back to back. I have, and I actually do it regularly, and it's brought me great results and I feel outstanding. Some of my clients really enjoy it, and some of them don't. It's a matter of how your body feels. If you like it, great. If not, then just like everything else, it's not for you.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    I disagree to a degree with the first statement. It's a little open ended for my taste

All I mean is that it won't HARM your body to do them both back to back. I have, and I actually do it regularly, and it's brought me great results and I feel outstanding. Some of my clients really enjoy it, and some of them don't. It's a matter of how your body feels. If you like it, great. If not, then just like everything else, it's not for you.

I agree, it's not dangerous, I'm only pointing out that there are reasons why it's not recommended. I should like to add, you will still see results, they just aren't as strong as the results you would receive if you split your workout up into separate days. Or at least that's what the current studies show.
  • dreamangel18105
    Options
    they just aren't as strong as the results you would receive if you split your workout up into separate days.

This part I will definitely argue with. Haha. I started seeing BETTER results and felt much better when I didn't split them up. But just like everything else in the world, everyone's body will respond a little bit differently.

Bottom line and how I operate with my clients, do what feels right to YOUR body. Studies and experts and articles, etc...they can give great guidance, but not everyone's body is going to perform the same way , so take advice, but do what feels right to you. :)
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    they just aren't as strong as the results you would receive if you split your workout up into separate days.

This part I will definitely argue with. Haha. I started seeing BETTER results and felt much better when I didn't split them up. But just like everything else in the world, everyone's body will respond a little bit differently.

Bottom line and how I operate with my clients, do what feels right to YOUR body. Studies and experts and articles, etc...they can give great guidance, but not everyone's body is going to perform the same way , so take advice, but do what feels right to you. :)

Well, I'm just saying, with the utmost of respect here, that this is what is the general mainstream thought of it, and as such should be at least part of the information received on this topic. Tweaking your own workout schedule is great, and if something outside the norm works better for you, I think that you should continue with it, but when offering advice, my personal opinion is this: Give the generally accepted strategies first, then, if you want, give alternatives and make sure people know that they are all viable. That's why I disagreed with your original statement, it made it sound (to me at least) as if doing two types of training in the same day was the norm, and perfectly acceptable for everyone, when in fact, it's not the norm, and as a general result, usually yields less results than separation. This doesn't mean that this is the result for all, and shouldn't be the only option people should be presented, but it should be given as the most main stream choice, and the one most research tends to back up. At least this is my feeling on the situation.

I don't want you to think I'm being a jerk, I'm not trying to, I'm just trying to make sure everyone has all sides of the equation. I hope you don't think this is me being rude or anything.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    In response to the OP,

I, too, hate weights. Once a week, I do a body-weight workout that hits both the cardio and the strength aspect (fast and dirty. . .I'm done in about 30 minutes)

Then, I do a solely strength training session, either on my own or with a DVD. In response to your request for a video recommendation, Jillian Michaels has a DVD called "No More Trouble Zones" that I enjoy. It's just strength training and old school floor exercises, no jumping around after the warm-up and the movements are pretty controlled so I can use a heavier weight. (I personally find it a waste of time to fling around a 3 pound dumbbell).

I also do yoga twice a week, and find that this combo has started to give me (gasp!) definition that I've been dying to get. Next stop: a tank top next summer.:tongue:

HTH.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Perform strength training first :)
  • Trav
    Trav Posts: 2,022
    Options
    I do strength training first then cardio...if not I try to do cardio in the morning seperate from weights
  • 20carrots
    20carrots Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I think if I split cardio and weights days I might be more open to doing both. That said I've had a pretty lazy week. Maybe tomorrow I'll do a weight video before work. No, make that I WILL do it before work and if I don't you must all cyber-kick my butt :laugh:
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    if you hate your routine then its gonna be hard to stick to it.

Do a basic weight lifting routine that you don't hate so much.....suck it up....and do it!

You can skip lifting weights, but remember...you get out what you put in
  • 20carrots
    Options

Do a basic weight lifting routine that you don't hate so much.....suck it up....and do it!

I don't have a routine, I just dislike strength training. I think cardio is a better use of my time, even though on some level I know that's not true...
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

I don't have a routine, I just dislike strength training. I think cardio is a better use of my time, even though on some level I know that's not true...

There's no reason it has to be traditional weights. There are lots of different anaerobic type activities that will help you gain definition. The only thing traditional weights will excel at is actual size increases. If you don't care about size, take a look at things like isometrics, plyometrics, and anaerobic cardio (like HIIT training). All these things will help you strengthen your muscles and be more than just calorie burners.

Personally I only do 2 days of traditional weights a week, 1 for upper and 1 for lower. Then I do anaerobic sessions for the others (tabata protocol for my legs, and a serious heavy bag routine that leaves my shoulders and arms ruined by the end on the other).
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    If I may humbly submit: my favorite bodyweight workout. It takes under 30 minutes to do, and you will be seriously grateful when it is over. Also, there are video links for most of the moves. It's a fabulous two birds, one stone solution. Weight bearing exercise and cardio. Also, it has that magic third ingredient I've recently discovered: it's over quickly.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/bodyweight-workout/
  • 20carrots
    Options
    hehe vivakay, I like how you think :tongue:

I just did "Biggest Loser Power Sculpt" which I get on-demand through cable. It was approx 25 mins and I survived! And now I get to go to work feeling all accomplished....though according to MFP it only burned 85 calories?
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    the reason why there will always be arguments about cardio/weights first - or splitting them up into different days is because they are all correct. (and incorrect I guess)

the purpose of exercise (especially weights) is to shock your body and have it adapt to what you are telling it to do.

you will get used to whichever path you choose, and when you do - it's time to change.

personally I go through cycles where I will do heavy lifting before cardio, then switch up after a few weeks. then I'll go entirely without cardio by making my weight routines as aerobic as possible for another few weeks

never stick to one type of exercise or schedule for too long, it will only bore your mind and your body