Help for traveling/ going out with friends?

Options
Hey all!
I am in need of some help!!
While I'm on my summer break I would really love to go take a road trip to see my friends from around the state since everyone went home for the summer! But I am worried about staying at someone's house/going out with my friends and eating. My roommate from last year who I want to visit has a big family, so I'm sure they cook big family meals, I don't want to be rude and not eat what they give me! Any advice? Also, I know that my friends are going to want to go out say to the mall or to frozen yogurt. I'm worried about this too. What is the best thing I can do to either keep losing weight or at least not gain 10 pounds while I'm on a trip!

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• AngieBee67
    AngieBee67 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Always count the calories and don't forget to factor in all the walking you will be doing. I've been going out a lot lately due to summer vacation (want my son to have fun). But, I've been staying on track. At dinner just make sure you have very small portions. I'm sure you'll be fine.
  • uglyhobo
    uglyhobo Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Try to eat less frequently. If you're on vacation, you're going to be eating meals higher in calories, so eating less often will help you consume less calories.
    You could even try intermittent fasting which is always helpful for whenever I go on a trip.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    stick to protein and veggies, don't eat too many carbs.
    or, eat half of what you normally would.
  • itsafrappe
    itsafrappe Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    i know its not a tip so much but self control is huge. its easy to justify things when you are on vacation. if they want to go out for fro yo just get a smaller portion. if you go to a movie dont get popcorn. you almost need to be more disciplined on the road if you want to stay on track
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    stick to protein and veggies, don't eat too many carbs.
    or, eat half of what you normally would.
    Yes, exactly.
    I could also recommend an herbal appetite suppressant, to help with Will Power, and support your good decision making, it's hoodia herb extract, comes in capsules, the brand I have been using is Source Naturals...works great. I use it occasionally if I am going to be running around doing errands or just need the extra boost.
  • Ervie317
    Ervie317 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I would not recommend eating less meals a day because that will slow you metabolism. When you eat out you can always ask chicken, sirloin, or fish to be prepared without sauces, butter, and oil. This will reduce the calories and make the items more like you eat at home. Also, you can always ask your veggies to be prepared without butter and oil too. Also, having a protein powder is always handing because you can have one in between meals so that you can keep your metabolism working without consuming a bunch of calories.
  • ValkyrieFD
    ValkyrieFD Posts: 83
    Options
    Go have fun, just be PREPARED. always carry your own healthy snacks and food, and don't rely on finding anything when you need it. Then it will be that much more easier to maintain <3
  • loveangel03
    Options
    Thanks everybody!! :D This is great!
  • mrsleftybrown
    Options
    Being prepared is the most important. Getting some Fiber One 90 calorie bars feel like a huge treat but are only 90 calories and you could take with you when you go to the movies, that is what I do. Also many of the frozen yogurt places have healthy options now. Top yours with the fresh fruit instead of the sugary options. When you are with your friend's family, take small portions of the things you want. Remember the size of a deck of card for protein and fill up with fresh veggies if you are able to. If not, just don't gorge on the breads and what not. I am sure if you tell them that you are being conscious of what you are eating they will support you. They will want to help you out. Maybe even see if one of your friends wants to split a meal. It saves money and calories.
  • loveangel03
    Options
    Thank you so much Mrsleftybrown! That was all very encouraging and I feel a lot better about going out now! :)