Question about jogging on the treadmill

Options
I recently upped my cardio routine and added jogging on my tread mill into the mix. I am short and quite heavy so what most people consider a jog (5.0 mph or higher) is an all out sprint for me...can anyone tell me what speed I can consider to be jogging?

Replies

• BaileyBoo13524
    BaileyBoo13524 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    When I first started jogging I was at 4.8 :) do what speed makes you feel like you can sustain it the whole time! Do what works for you what's jogging to one person may be sprinting for another. Good luck!
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Running, jogging or wogging (walk/jog as I like to call it) is so subjective. You need to do what YOU can do, not what others do. Anything where your feet are moving is a good start!

I actually do interval wogging per Jeff Galloway. so I wog for 2 minutes and walk for 1.

You need to do what you can do!
  • samb330
    samb330 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    4.2mph here. Very slow, but it worked for me. I still am not a fast jogger, but I do what I can at my own pace.
  • cndslee
    cndslee Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    When I started out jogging on the treadmill i was so out of shape that 4.0 was a jog. It has gotten much better since then, but you have to go at whatever speed is comfortable to you. It should be at a rate where you can still "talk or sing" while jogging. You should still be taking breaths but not gasping for breath. Hope that helps .....
  • annielabruna215
    annielabruna215 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering the same thing. I am training for my first 5k and I just started the Couch to 5K routine on my treadmill. A brisk walk for me is 3.2 and my run is about 4.6. I have been at it for a week, so I have told myself that I will try to increase my speed as I master the whole "running without dying" thing. I have hit 5, which is a full out run for me, but it was my last 1 minute run so I was really pushing it. I accidentally hit 7 and nearly flew off the thing. I don't think I could ever run that fast for more than a minute! Good luck!!!
  • iamcheryld
    Options
    I was terrible at anything faster than a brisk walk when I began jogging/running. I believe I started with 4.5 and it was hard for me to keep at that pace for extended periods of time. For me and my height, I consider around 5.0 a jog now and 6.0+ a running speed for myself. I am 5'4" and my fiance is 6'2". When I am on a treadmill next to him he can be on the speed 6.5 and look like he's jogging, but me at the same speed looks like a run. I think it has to do with your height as well as your stamina. Starting with anything is great, just keep challenging yourself as it gets easier. :)
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I think it's fine to go slow. when I first started, I went as slow as I needed to go to continue for a few minutes or whatever. sometimes that meant my "jog" was slower than a brisk walk, and I was okay with that. I focused on being able to jog for longer periods of time, and I picked up speed naturally. I'm still slow, but the last 10 mile race I did was at an 11 minute pace (by contrast, the fastest mile I ran in high school - single mile - was 12 minutes, and it felt like a sprint!)
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I started out at 4.5 and worked my way up :)
  • Cowenlaw1
    Cowenlaw1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I started at 4.0. Was able to get faster over the first few months.
  • linsey76A
    linsey76A Posts: 102
    Options
    TY! Everyone for all your help :) Seems just starting is the first step and moving up slowly is whats going to be best...I was kind of hoping that just doing it at all was the right start lol I am finding I really enjoy it too,never thought that I would like jogging but I really do!