Getting over 'guilt'

Options
Heya guys! Hope everyones weekend is going well. Was just curious if anyone else shared the guilt I sometimes feel when I eat food that you do not normally eat, even if you are under a cal goal? Today I fancied some desert so had some dried nuts and fruit and got a massive sugar rush, felt guilty and ill and proceeded to eat a can of sweetcorn -___- I'm still under thankfully!! But does anyone else get this guilt, and yes its silly! I really am trying to tame it/keep it under control. I guess sugary things just make me cray hehe! The guilts gone now which is good it means its something I can control and understand...anyone else get nigglings like these?

Replies

• AzhureSnow
    AzhureSnow Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Most people have an intense carbohydrate addiction - sugar alcohols, refined grains, and processed sweets are mentally addicting for us! As you start to eat healthy and those things make their way out of your system, suddenly reintroducing them can really send your endocrine system into chaos while they're processed out, which is why you may have felt kind of sick afterwards.

As far as guilt - that's all psychological. If you're within your numbers, and it wasn't horribly processed crappy food, then there is no reason to beat yourself up for it (now, if you're chowing down on Twinkies, that's another issue). Nuts and fruit are usually nutritionally sound, and dried fruit bits are certainly better than candies.

It sounds like you're being a bit hard on yourself. Keep things in moderation, watch the numbers for carbs/sugar intake, and enjoy an indulgence once in a whlie!
  • Sofithomas
    Sofithomas Posts: 118
    Options
    That explains it; I haven't had anything 'sweet' apart from berties for over a month! So this was a massive shock to the system lol!

Thank you; a great helpful message, for me the gardest thing is balance and remembering its not a ruined day if I have something a bit naughty! I guess I never crave them most of the time so when I do I feel a bit lost!

I feel better now! That half hour of sugary rushness was ick. I'm going out tonight and I don't drink so the carbs will becput to good use dancing!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Sure...I get it. Fear of failure. And it is silly. But you work SO hard for every pound you lose you don't want to mess up, even if you really AREN'T. Like today I had a tiny cupcake....75 calories. I am still wondering about it. But I am within my numbers. I suppose I will lighten up eventually. :D
  • Sofithomas
    Options
    Sure...I get it. Fear of failure. And it is silly. But you work SO hard for every pound you lose you don't want to mess up, even if you really AREN'T. Like today I had a tiny cupcake....75 calories. I am still wondering about it. But I am within my numbers. I suppose I will lighten up eventually. :D

YES exactly this!! Its so silly and I think with time itll be fine! But so annoying how it niggles lol. I suppose it keeps cals in check!
  • Kenzieb07
    Kenzieb07 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have the guilt right now!!! I had a wedge salad at Ruby Tuesday that I came home and logged only to find out it was 1066 calories for the salad alone... and I had it along with my steak! UGH. Even though I burned 902 calories this morning and am well below my calorie goal, I feel so gross because I don't normally consume 1000+ calories in one part of a meal. :( Trying to tell myself it's OK....
    Heya guys! Hope everyones weekend is going well. Was just curious if anyone else shared the guilt I sometimes feel when I eat food that you do not normally eat, even if you are under a cal goal? Today I fancied some desert so had some dried nuts and fruit and got a massive sugar rush, felt guilty and ill and proceeded to eat a can of sweetcorn -___- I'm still under thankfully!! But does anyone else get this guilt, and yes its silly! I really am trying to tame it/keep it under control. I guess sugary things just make me cray hehe! The guilts gone now which is good it means its something I can control and understand...anyone else get nigglings like these?
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    No, I eat what I want.
  • Sofithomas
    Options
    Yes I totally get you, normally I never have a desert or anything sweet and boom tonight I did! And tes even though its under cals I still feel sucky! Tomorrow is a new day though, plus my workout today kicked butt lol.
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    No, I never feel guilty about anything I have eaten but I am embarrassed by the amount of sugary foods I eat sometimes.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    If you are feeling guilty for eating some nuts, fruit and sweet corn, then you may want to seek some help as that is not normal thinking and sounds like the beginning of an unhealthy relationship with food. It's perfectly fine to have something sweet or dessert, even while dieting
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    My sleep pattern was messed up the night before last, so my day yesterday was messed up even with food. So I had nachos for dinner. 660 calories for dinner, but I was still under my calorie goal for the day.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I used to have issues binge eating on ice cream and baked items, as a part of my bulimia.
    Now I am feeling guilty eating extra in healthier foods, such as wholefood bars and whey protein ice cream. I went over today because I decided to munch on pistachios, a small whey protein ice cream and a few eat natural bars, and feel like a total failure, which is surprising given I was staving off something worse.
  • RAWBMEOW
    RAWBMEOW Posts: 64
    Options
    I know the feeling. I tell myself this is the all in your head and you did nothing wrong, but i cant help not to dwell. My problem is when i eat something I shouldn't I cant stop eating it, then I don't log it in fear of having to deal with how many calories I actually consumed. so i try not to eat my trigger binge foods, so i don't have to deal with guilt. Everything in moderation is BS when your a binge eater, i had to stop cold turkey.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Nah, I have sweets every day. If I want something, I make room for it.