ok I need some reasurance that this really works

Options
So far, this isnt working. (2 weeks) I havnt gianed or lost. I pretty pissed. I worked hard! Where is that huge initial wieght loss? You know, the one in step or phase 1? Im thinking of going below 1200 cal a day. What else can I do?

Replies

• Sun-Shine
    Sun-Shine Posts: 46
    Options
    So far, this isnt working. (2 weeks) I havnt gianed or lost. I pretty pissed. I worked hard! Where is that huge initial wieght loss? You know, the one in step or phase 1? Im thinking of going below 1200 cal a day. What else can I do?
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    So far I've lost 10 pounds (maybe more) and 2 belt notches. It does work, I promise!
    Just stick with it... if you keep having bad results, you may have to tweak your plan a tiny bit, but it WILL work.
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Don't go below 1200 calories or it really won't work. I know it's a pain when nothing happens, but just try to stick with it. I'll keep bumping so that some of the old pros can answer, because I don't have all the answers, but just stick with it! You CAN do it!
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Options
    If you were eating quite well and exercising before weight loss won't be so spectacular as for people with a complete lifestyle change.

What can you do? Hmmm....:
    - read everything from post for newbies
    - buy HRM to see how much you really burn during normal day and exercises
    - measure yourself instead of using scale
    - increase your calories a little and see what is going on

I guess these are most of options that MFP members can give you :smile:

Also write more about yourself so we can look and tell you if this amount of calories is likely to work and anybody in a similar situation can share his experience.

Good luck and don't give up :flowerforyou:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could share with us what you're eating now (types of food, etc.) and how much exercise you're getting, and how many calories you are eating every day now. That might help us to help you.
  • sr2000
    sr2000 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    If you continue with healthy eating and exercise you will eventually see results, but don't expect a "quick fix". We're in this for the long haul. Slow weight loss is the best weight loss. Go measure yourself with a tape measure. Neck, belly (around belly button) waist (narrowest part), hips (widest part) too, the scale is often not the best way to measure progress.

Please read topic "newbies please read me"

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    One more thread to check out:

Real results from real people (not actors):wink:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/12108-testify?hl=testify#posts-89042
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    maybe 1200 calories is too low for you? Give us some more details and as you can see we are all here to help you make this work!!

It is working for sooooooo many, you just need to find the correct balance for you? Let us help and STICK WITH IT!!!!
  • Sun-Shine
    Options
    Ok here is some more info. Ive been a member of this site for awhile, since last fall I think. Ive just now started again. I hate myself and Im really depressed I guess. Im having a bad day.
    I eat crap, i eat junk Im too poor to buy good food. Plus I dont have the time or desire to prepare it. When you only have so much money a week for grocerys then you buy what can get you through the week. (mac n cheese, tacos, sandwiches)
    Being so broke youd think Id be thin! But no, those 1200 cals a day just stick right on.
    Here is what I eat mostly
    Breakfast: special K or Kashi go lean with 1/2 cup milk and coffee
    Lunch: none, leftovers, can of soup, more cerial, (whatever Ican find)
    Dinner: whatever husband is eating, pizza, Junk.
    I eat too much dinner. Im starving by dinner time, and NO increasing my calories during the day does not help. Ive been there and tried that. It only makes me more hungry.
    I exercise at least once a day. I walk 2 miles a day as well pushing my daughter in the stroller.
    The thing about me is, when Im super super depressed, the weight just falls off! I mean it melts, I do nothing! But when Im just everyday depressed (bored beond belief) it doesnt matter what I do I gain weight. Im hardly ever happy.
    I cant stand myself, I hate myself even more for being just a sobbing depressed loser.

And no way no how and I increasing my calories!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    You just answered a lot of your own questions. I'm so sorry that you feel so bad about yourself.

If you hate yourself, you won't succeed at taking better care of yourself. If you can talk to a professional, or a clergy person about this issue that is a better first step than just limiting your calories.

Concrete advice for you: eating healthier really doesn't cost more. Yes, the food is more expensive than junk, but you eat less food in general and it evens out. Add to that the cost of eating a poor diet in health expenses down the road, and it evens out even more. This is just an excuse.

If you're starving yourself all day and then overeating at night this is a vicious circle. Eating during the day doesn't make you hungrier, it just spaces out your hunger and fires up your metabolism. Being hungry is actually a good thing. It means your body is working off the food you're eating.

Since you reached out here, you have a desire somewhere to change yourself. But you must first love yourself. Please get some help if you can.:flowerforyou:
  • lockedcj7
    lockedcj7 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Exercise, Exercise, Exercise.

I was having a really hard time until I started exercising. My weight loss hasn't been fast, easy or spectacular but maybe it's permanent.

Since November, I've lost 21 lbs. It works, you just have to stick with it. I've cheated more than I should have, I've been sick more than usual this year and I've hit several plateaus that have lasted for weeks at a time. Enough of the excuses.

I've only got 13 lbs to go and a trip to the beach planned for the second week in June. Crunch time!
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

Well here is a BIG RED FLAG! you cannot skip meals - your metabolism comes to a screaching halt when you do that!

You need to spend a little more time finding inexpensive ways to eat 4-6 times a day, small meals that stay in your calorie range. you have no fruit or veggies in your diet! you need fiber to make you feel full, you need lower calorie food so that you can eat more.

you don't need a lot of money to eat right, you just need some time, research, patience...For example, I go to three different grocery stores on Sunday to buy everything I need on sale and I cut coupons.
  • sr2000
    Options
    Strive towards one or two mini goals at a time.
    For one week just try to drink LOTS of water all day long, and keep up with your exercise which can be a mood elevator as well as the fitness benefits.
    Next week add a couple more small goals to water and exercise. Begin adding more fruits and veggies to your day. Keep them handy so you can snack all day long, you will keep your metablism running and be getting more vitamins.
    What other mini goals might you want to add? Cutting out junk food? Getting more sleep? Trying a new exercise like yoga or pilates?
    Everytime you take one of these healthy steps towards better health, tell yourself that everyday in everyway you are gettting better and better.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear you having a hard time. This program does work! IF you follow it...

I agree, you need to eat more calories earlier in the day, and more nutrient rich foods. Can you try something like this? These are all VERY cheap meals! I would argue just as cheap as the cheapest packaged junk! I've given the calories...

B: coffee with 2 T cream (50), 1 T (table spoon) peanut butter (100), 1 medium banana (75)
    S: 2 apples, sliced, sprinkled with cinnamon (100)
    L: romaine salad (0), tomato (or any veg on sale) (15), peppers (15), one can of tuna (120), light salad dressing (50)
    S: 1/2 whole wheat pita in wedges (100); sugar snap peas (25); 2 T hummus (100)
    D: broiled fish - sole, tialpia, and of the cheap ones (150); steamed spinach (even buy frozen) (0); brown rice (200)
    S: fruit salad (orange, berries, melon, any combo) (100)

If you stick to a plan like this, over time, it HAS to work... check out my profile, as I list what I lose each week - see the weeks with zero? Every time I see that, I want to quit, but then I push through, and the next week, I've done it! :smile:

PLEASE stick with this! You are worth it! I know how you can feel down, I've been there, but you're moving in the right direction by getting started! Start fresh and let us know how you make out!
    :flowerforyou:
  • sr2000
    Options

Well here is a BIG RED FLAG! you cannot skip meals - your metabolism comes to a screaching halt when you do that!

You need to spend a little more time finding inexpensive ways to eat 4-6 times a day, small meals that stay in your calorie range. you have no fruit or veggies in your diet! you need fiber to make you feel full, you need lower calorie food so that you can eat more.

you don't need a lot of money to eat right, you just need some time, research, patience...For example, I go to three different grocery stores on Sunday to buy everything I need on sale and I cut coupons.
    Great advice. Keep your body fueled and running by eating throughout the day. And there are ways to eat healthy on a buget. Buy bunches of lettuce rather than the packaged, look for frozen fruit and veggies on sale, they are sometimes more affordable and will last a while longer. Oatmeal, rice ,beans, and other great foods can be bought in bulk. Canned tuna mixed with peas, noddles with a light dressing or sauce of your choice with a few leaves of lettuce is a balanced lunch or dinner wihout a high price. (good hot or cold)
    And I know you are very firm about not wanting to eat more than 1200 calories, but do please take some advice to heart from the rest of us who have been there and have realized that starving yourself is not a good way to lose weight. ( I FINALLY LOSTwhen I ADDED calories to my day from 1300 up to 1500 or more on exercise days!) If you refuse to add back a few hundred more calories when you exercise, at the very least please never go below 1200.
  • ligytha
    ligytha Posts: 130
    Options

I agree! I support myself and one other adult on $30,000/yr... and I can still shop at Whole Foods. My tips are thus: don't eat out/order in; if you want bread/cookies/cake/potato fries/potato chips/etc bake it yourself and don't buy pre-made; stay away from the freezer aisle except for veggies; can I say don't buy pre-made again?
    B: whole grain crumpet/english muffin/toast/scone (whatever I made for the week) with 1T honey
    S: yoghurt, usually blueberry :happy:
    L: veggie stir-fry, no rice
    S: fruit of some sort, whatever was on sale. Pineapple this week!
    D: varies. Shepherd's pie is tonight.
    S: frozen berries

total cost is about $8 if I divide things up by the portions.
  • Sun-Shine
    Options
    Well I dont know where you all shop but food around me is so high priced. We rarely eat meat because we dont want to spend the money , and we NEVER eat out. I wish! We are paying off debt right now and it leaves us strapped. Oh ya, And my family will no way no how eat the stuff you guys are talking about. I will, I like all that, but my husband?? No way.
  • ladyd48337
    ladyd48337 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have battled the scale for so many years. Tried all kinds of diets, schemes, etc.. But this really worked for me! not only did it work, it made it easy! It really doesn't get any easier than this. I didn't have any "Massive" weight loss at first. It was a pound here, there and everywhere until those single pounds turned into 16 lbs to date and I only started mid January. I have never worn below a size 10, but now am in an 8. It works. Don't give up. Also, you must meet your alotted caloric intake for it to work. If you are not giving your body what it needs, it will continue to store it. Do not go under in calories. :smile:
  • REB89
    REB89 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Well I dont know where you all shop but food around me is so high priced. We rarely eat meat because we dont want to spend the money , and we NEVER eat out. I wish! We are paying off debt right now and it leaves us strapped. Oh ya, And my family will no way no how eat the stuff you guys are talking about. I will, I like all that, but my husband?? No way.

so eat different things to him. You can also cook things he likes (like fries or pizza) in a healthy way, there are loads of recipes in the recipe forum which would help you out. There was actually another post like this a while back with lots of great suggestions, maybe you could search it. my one tip would be stick to whatever fruit and veggies are in season as they will be MUCH cheaper e.g. don't buy strawberries in November! Also, the reason you may be feeling hungry is because the caloires you are filling up on are not very nutrituous. Even just switching from white to whole wheat bread could help. Even if you stay within your caloires, if you are only eating junk then you aren't going to feel satisfied whereas if you pick the right kinds of foods you'll feel much fuller and you'll find you can eat WAY more!
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    My family is on food stamps right now because we're strapped too, and I eat this way. My husband was the same way your husband is too, and then he ate what was on the table. He complained about it at first, but now he realizes that I just want him to be healthy and that I want to lose weight, and he supports me.

Frozen fruits and veggies really aren't that expensive. If you buy the store brand they're not too bad. I can buy a big big bag of frozen veggies for $4 at Wal-Mart. Also, check the meat department for meat that expires the same day you're there. It's perfectly fine if you use it that day or freeze it. We get meat that way because they usually mark it down quite a bit.

Also, turkey burger is pretty cheap. We buy a three pound box for $5 and put it in spaghetti sauce and then freeze it so we have lots of spaghetti sauce. (We eat a LOT of spaghetti, because it's really cheap)

Also, try to shop at Aldi, Save-a-Lot, or places like that. You really can eat well on a budget, it just takes a little getting used to. You can make TONS of yummy food that your husband will like (I promise!!!) on a budget, and healthy. I do it every day!

Sorry for the long post. Hang in there. :flowerforyou: