Is shopping in bulk ok for a dieter?

Options
I had a discussion with a friend last night about this (a parent without a weight problem but has a child that is trying to lose).

I think absolutely not because there's a neverending supply of food. Yes, it may be less expensive and you get more but isn't this one of the reasons we are in the pickle we're in?????

Replies

• Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I shop for a family of 8. Shopping in bulk is a must for us. I just started here, but have been planning my meals in advance to the point of measuring out chips or snacks.
  • nkyjennifer
    nkyjennifer Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I still shop in bulk and my bf and I are both losing weight. Everything is marked with portion size and a lot of things are put into serving size baggies with calorie count on a post it on the baggie.

Learning self control and portion sizing is a part of learning to be healthy. As long as they are buying enough healthy choices I don't see why it would be a problem.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I have a 5 year old and a 2 year old eating machine, I buy a lot of things in bulk. I measure and log everything that I eat, so it's never been a problem for me. I agree that it's learning self control.
  • jeanzbeanz
    jeanzbeanz Posts: 64
    Options
    It's eating in bulk that gets me in trouble.

:-)
  • itsafrappe
    itsafrappe Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    beating a dead horse here...self control self control self control. if you dont have it you will gain weight wether you buy in bulk or not
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I shop in bulk for food staples like almonds, walnuts and other non perishable food items. It doesn't "make" me eat more or less. I enjoy knowing that I have the extras in the cupboard so that I don't have to spend that money on each shopping trip.

Typically I buy about 6lbs of walnuts and other sundries when I'm at the nutritionists office, because I enjoy the bulk food stores up there. I buy tea and spices when I'm there too.

I buy lots of things in bulk. You can never have too much toilet paper!
    150930 Posts: 19
    Options
    Self control is generally a prob so the only things that should be bought in bulk are dry goods (toilet paper, paper towels, etc.). Also, most items being bought in bulk aren't fresh. It is really household specific. With 2 people working and kids having school plus activities, one does not want to run out of food mid-week. Eek!
  • chayoxela
    chayoxela Posts: 23
    Options
    I shop in bulk all the time. However, I'm not typically buying the huge Costco pack of individual serving sizes of anything. When I buy in bulk, I'm either buying huge packages of things like rice, beans, etc, or I'm shopping the bulk bins at my local Sprouts. For me, a never-ending supply of good healthy food is not a bad thing - it keeps me from eating the not-so-healthy things that might also be lying around.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    With a family of seven, stockpiling and buying bulk is the only way to go. Make sure those things you have in bulk are not total junk, and there's no problem.

I actually just got back from Sam's club, and I got lots of stuff: strawberries, romaine, sweet cherries, pineapples, and broccoli, raw almonds, dry roasted peanuts (for making peanut butter and for eating), Clif bars for kids, etc. All bulk. Bulk can be fine. If it's not oreos, chips ahoy, ice cream, etc.
  • saamantha
    saamantha Posts: 74
    Options
    I try to shop in bulk for most of the things I eat, as it's less stress throughout the month for me. I buy fresh fruits and veggies that I can freeze for smoothies in bulk, and then freeze tablespoons of greek yogurt for individual frozen servings. I buy all of my flours, cereals, nuts and dried fruits in bulk as well, because the stores here have a discount day on Wednesdays. I go once a month to the Bulk Barn and once a month to the health food store on those discount days to save more :)
  • StarIsMoving
    StarIsMoving Posts: 437
    Options
    I BUY in bulk, but don't EAT in bulk. I have 1 child that has learned self control through educating on portions, nutrition facts, etc and he has thinned right out (more than me... high metabolism youngens, lol) and he is now 18 and thankful for me teaching him. I have a 13 yr old who is going to have a battle, but is gaining the education now that she will need to keep it in check. However, being the only income for a family of 5, sometimes those bulk deals are the only way we can afford certain items and know they will get us through. It does take learning... honestly I think it's the lack of education on nutrition that got me here... I can't speak for everyone though - we all have different reasons for getting where we did. Just my 2 cents
  • lornaheron
    lornaheron Posts: 72
    Options
    I always shop in bulk. I do a healthy shop for my food,and still buy the rubbish chocolate and cakes for my Husband and son. They don't do healthy. :ohwell:
    21790325.png
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I shop in bulk all the time! Matter of fact I did this morning!

50# chicken breasts cut into tender-style pieces (broken down to bags of 6 portions each)
    All of my dried spices are in restaurant sized containers (I make alot of spice rubs and compound butters)
    Butter (SOOOO much cheaper in bulk) 10-1# blocks
    15# Boneless pork loin (I cut it into a roast, thick chops and then tips)
    80/20-Ground Beef 10#, (broken down into premade burgers, 1lb bags and meatballs)
    15-18lb Pork Ribs - cryovac pkg of three, each has been season rubbed and wrapped individually for the freezer

Garlic - 3lb bag
    White Onion, 10#
    Red Field-grown bell peppers, 10#

With the onions and peppers, Ill prep half of it and freeze as mixed veggie bags for future meals
    The garlic, Ill roast half of the bag so I can use in making compound butters, dressings, and even to pop a couple as a snack where its like CANDY!

Zucchini - 10lbs, half is already prepped. 2.5lbs into faux-pasta noodles and stored in a water-filled tight container, the other 2.5 has been chunked and frozen for future soups/sides
    Summer Squash - same as the zukes...

Carrots - 10lbs - same as the squashes
    Roma Tomatoes: 25# case - I make bulk homemade marinara, salsa, pico de gallo, roasted wedges and of course for salads...

restaurant sized red-wine vinegar, champagne vinegar, balsamic vinegar (gallon jug each), I make my own reductions, dressings, pickling liquids, for incorporating in my homemade BBQ sauces.

Napa - the largest I can find, half for making homemade kimchi, the other half for vietnamese-style salads
    Iceberg, Romaine and Bibb for making a nice salad mix base.

This is just a small list...
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I woudnt buy junk food in bulk. I will buy canned tomatoes in bulk. A few other staples. I mostly use my warehouse membership for non food items and at the holidays for gifts.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    It's fine, you just control what the child is eating. My kids do not have free reign on my cupboards. If they want something they ask for it! simple x
  • vcreinert
    vcreinert Posts: 83
    Options
    As long as you don't eat in bulk.
  • aprilgrl27
    aprilgrl27 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Buying in bulk and eating in bulk are two different things entirely.
  • cgraylyon
    cgraylyon Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I still shop in bulk and my bf and I are both losing weight. Everything is marked with portion size and a lot of things are put into serving size baggies with calorie count on a post it on the baggie.

Learning self control and portion sizing is a part of learning to be healthy. As long as they are buying enough healthy choices I don't see why it would be a problem.

I love that you label your baggies with a calorie count! I should also start doing this!!!
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    With a family of seven, stockpiling and buying bulk is the only way to go. Make sure those things you have in bulk are not total junk, and there's no problem.

I actually just got back from Sam's club, and I got lots of stuff: strawberries, romaine, sweet cherries, pineapples, and broccoli, raw almonds, dry roasted peanuts (for making peanut butter and for eating), Clif bars for kids, etc. All bulk. Bulk can be fine. If it's not oreos, chips ahoy, ice cream, etc.

I've been buying healthy foods in bulk at Costco forever, thinking I was doing a great thing by controlling my environment. Which I was. But I read a book recently (The Automatic Diet) which challenged it. I think I DO overeat healthy foods because I don't want to waste them. Even though it's grapes and almonds and eggs and frozen chicken breasts and protein powder, they expire. So somewhere in my mental math of 'what should I eat today', I was taking that into account and eating more than I should and slowly gaining weight. So I try to really not keep the house so stocked with perishables. It's good that I manipulate myself into eating healthy by taking advantage of my hatred of wasting food, but I need to be careful, too. And I practice throwing food out and giving it to the dogs regularly, too.
  • jadedzen
    jadedzen Posts: 221 Member
    Options

I love that you label your baggies with a calorie count! I should also start doing this!!!

^^^This is what i started doing when i was still having problems with portions. now i usually just whip out a measuring cup if i'm not feeling like accurately eyeballing my portions. Both work.