Weight loss/odd situations

Options
Gidzmo
Gidzmo Posts: 905 Member
How do you deal with the food when it's a situation where you didn't make the food (like a potluck or a holiday party)?

When we can make our own meals, we have more control over what's in it. But in a party or family gathering, this is not always the case. What do you do?

Replies

• cs8991
    cs8991 Posts: 2
    Options
    u could always try to ask the person...or search it up...also, try to recognize familiar ingredients and tastes...
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    If it's a potluck, I bring something I know I can eat... usually a salad or veggie tray (my boys love veggie trays). If the food is prepared for me, I just do my best to pick the healthiest choices and find it in the database as close as I can.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I was just in this situation yesterday at a family reunion. My brother's wife made spanish rice, which I love, but I had no idea what all she put in it. So instead of having a full serving, I had half that. It was good, too. Keep in mind it's not like at a potluck or holiday party or wherever you have to eat some of EVERYTHING. You don't. Just eat a little of what looks good. oh and drink water instead of what other drinks are available there.
  • tinytemple
    tinytemple Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I normally avoid carby/sugary foods so that usually eliminates quite a few options at first glance. I personally prefer eating "whole" foods, so i try and stick to things i recognise... like pieces of meat, veg, fruit etc and then it is easier to track what i'm eating. When logging i estimate as best as possible but i don't go into massive detail. I do hate it though when i'm at an event and everything is just junk - depending on the situation either i definantly eat nothing or surrender to eating crap (not to be advised)!
  • pinkly14fun2
    Options
    I ran into this situation when I first began this. I just chose the healthier foods, limited the unhealthy and took something healthy to share. You are in control so make your choices count, You can be participate in functions, just use your knowledge and will-power!:happy:
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I try to seek out the 'healthiest' food there and steer clear from the calorie heavy items. I have found that I can have just as much fun without eating all of fattening foods. Just mingle and enjoy the company of your friends and family. And then eat something healthy when you get home.

Wishing you the best!:flowerforyou:
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I estimate. The more you cook the easier this becomes, and you can always ask for the recipe. Simpler dishes are easier to estimate accurately. If a restaurant prepares a similar dish and it's in the database, you can use that. I often bring something healthy along to share. Ultimately, it's a special occasion, and you just have to let go a little. Eat small portions, more of the healthier things and less of the indulgent ones, and accept that you've done your best :).
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I ran into this situation when I first began this. I just chose the healthier foods, limited the unhealthy and took something healthy to share. You are in control so make your choices count, You can be participate in functions, just use your knowledge and will-power!:happy:

This is what I tried to do. I'm still learning what the healthier choices (other than salads) are. I took whole-grain crackers, which sounded quite healthy to me. :wink:
  • bohonomad
    bohonomad Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I am one of those people who can't have a little of something; it's all or nothing, so eating a small amount is just not an option for me yet. So I bring something healthy for myself and explain that I'm trying to lose weight and everyone is understanding.