Mega motivation needed.....

Options
Please help......

I can't seem to stick to losing weight and I desperately need to!
I'm 178lbs, nearly 40 years with a cholesterol level that's practically off the scales. I'm constantly tired and grumpy and always craving sugar. The more I beat myself up about the way I look and my health the more I eat and it's always totally rubbish food. I then lay awake at night wondering why I'm doing this to myself, I feel like I'm slowly knocking the nails into my own coffin and yet I repeat the same nasty pattern the next day :(

Do I need Prozac or just a massive kick up the butt?

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    You need to want to work out, not just have to.

Can you watch a movie on the exercise bike, or meet a friend for a cardio class and maybe go shopping after?
  • DarthH8
    DarthH8 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    You need to want to work out, not just have to.

Can you watch a movie on the exercise bike, or meet a friend for a cardio class and maybe go shopping after?

This says it all. What made the difference for me is wanting to do what I do. I've tried several times in past years to get into regular exercise and failed after 2-3 weeks. When I finally got goin last year for real it came down to me wanting to feel better and be healthy, not lose fat, so I didn't focus on that part, just eating well and exercise. I definitely struggled at first and would stop after a month or so for a few days or a week. But in the end, I stuck with it, I wouldn't stray away from my routines and schedules for more than a week. Eventually I learned to love it. I love it so much I lie to people to get out of restaurant outings and avoid doing things to get extra time in my gym.

Haha, to be honest I hinder my own progress by being addicted to it like I am. I need to learn to take a break. Work on something like that instead of looking better. And I promise you wont regret it.
  • lose3stone
    lose3stone Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your help.....

They say the "hardest thing about exercising is putting your runners on"

I know once I make some time and get into a routine I"ll find the motivation to continue.

• Jenvan78
    Jenvan78 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Find an activity that you love and that will help. Some people find out that the love things they never thought they would. I personally love lifting weights...I don't do it because I look massive but I love it and do it when I get the itch. I love running as well :). I've heard that Zumba is really fun...look into that.
  • stpetegirl
    stpetegirl Posts: 241
    Options
    I was always the same way! My health just kept getting worse, no energy, grumpy, always craving sugary and salty foods. I think it hit me the hardest last month. I turned 41 and I had a drs appt, and when I got on the scale, the number floored me! it scared me off of junk food and eating crap food in general! That number on the scale was my kick in the butt! Everyone has a motivator, you just need to find yours! I have 2, never seeing THAT number on the scale again, and a picture of myself at that weight, both make me want to work out more and eat better because I no longer recognize the person I've become! Good luck to you!!
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    You really have to make a conscious decision to do it then keep doing it until it is a habit & you don't want to miss it. Always good to keep a rest day in there each week.

Don't start off with a routine that is too hard to keep up with or you will give up. Start with a 15 to 30 min walk each morning or a fun workout video then work your way up from there.
  • deannakittygirl
    deannakittygirl Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    for me I knew I needed to workout and just wouldn't have desire, I had to force myself to do it for about 2 weeks. I have been at it regularly now for about 5 weeks. I am feeling the habit kick in but really I felt a boost almost immediately. within those first 2 weeks I was feeling better sleeping better plus I don't want to just eat junk after putting in the effort. I don't really do rest days I just will walk with less intensity or not as far. hope you give it a try and experiment with different things till you fall in love with something.
  • AZDizzy
    AZDizzy Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I've gone around and around finding something I like. I found I like riding my bike, I like swimming. When I do those things and I feel good, then I do the stuff I don't like (strength training).
  • RockinSkiBunny
    RockinSkiBunny Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Stay away from the prozac!!! Trust me!!! It will only cause more weight gain. Find something positive about yourself and go from there!
  • EmilySG2011
    Options
    I am having a real problem being motivated to workout.....believe me it gets a lot harder the more weight you put on. Over age 40 gets even harder. Stay determined to get a handle on it while its still manageable. I wish I had done so. However, the food part for me isn't quite so bad. I am filling most of my diet with protein. This helps curb the appetite and stays with you so much longer. Protein shakes are the best for meal replacements and snacks especially when you are on the go. I have found that if you cut out the bad things entirely and just eat them on occasion it helps kick the cravings faster. After a few weeks your body adjusts and you don't even want it anymore. I had the same addiction to sweet tea and just cut it out completely. Now I hardly even like it. I was buying 5 lbs of sugar each week. I have cut that down to a 5lb bag about every other month. Huge difference.
  • EmilySG2011
    Options
    Stay away from the prozac!!! Trust me!!! It will only cause more weight gain. Find something positive about yourself and go from there!

I agree! Medication can definitely work against the whole weight loss process.