Food Allergies

Options
I am a steriod eating machine because of my asthma which to be fair has left me looking like the michelin man because I have had them for about 5 years in a row and I have been ignoring my food allergies, which probably doesnt help either.

I am allergic to wheat, diary, all nuts and fish.

I have been looking into all the "free from" ranges out there in the UK and I cant believe how many products are on offer now. I have also joined the Allergy UK website which has been a great help.

But my question is how many of you out there have allergies to food, what are you allergic to and have you lost weight by staying away from these products? (Although that may sound like a silly question).

Also if anyone has any advice or tips as to their allergies, please share, I need to educate myself more on my allergies.

Thanks for any productive feedback :)

Replies

• mmy5002
    mmy5002 Posts: 3
    Options
    My husband is allergic to wheat, rye, barley and oats along with red meats. Which was seriously overwhelming at first. Everything has wheat or has wheat by products. He sticks to a strict gluten free diet. I have found that the gluten free bread and pasta is actually higher in calories and fat than the regular wheat products. I guess because it tastes bad and they need to add sugars to make them taste normal. We typically don't buy the packaged "gluten free" products because they usually taste terrible. I cook with lots of fresh vegetables and lots and lots of chicken and mushrooms. I've lost weight by skipping the packaged stuff and cooking as cleanly as possible, which makes sense. I've found the best gluten free products are made by Schaar, and Amy's organics. Also, I try to substitute any white rice with Quinoa. Quinoa is my new obsession. Its amazing and so good for you. You can do anything with it. Good luck with your food allergies! stay positive too because I know he gets pretty down in the dumps about how restrictive his diet is. But he feels so much better than he did when he was 'poisoning' himself.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I am allergic to watermelon and shrimp. My son is allergic to peanuts so we do not eat them in our house.

My husband had to take prednisone for 6 months for his nasal polyps and gained 20 lbs. He doesn't have to take them anymore but he never lost the weight they caused.
  • trudance4
    trudance4 Posts: 75
    Options
    I am allergic to watermelon and shrimp. My son is allergic to peanuts so we do not eat them in our house.

My husband had to take prednisone for 6 months for his nasal polyps and gained 20 lbs. He doesn't have to take them anymore but he never lost the weight they caused.

I am the same, I havent lost the weight they have caused either :/ i have constantly been on them 3-4 timesa year in the last 5 years, just finished a course last week also! It is really getting me down, I am hoping that changing my eating habits might help! I feel for your son I am the same, I have that allergy and you have to be very careful!
  • trudance4
    trudance4 Posts: 75
    Options
    My husband is allergic to wheat, rye, barley and oats along with red meats. Which was seriously overwhelming at first. Everything has wheat or has wheat by products. He sticks to a strict gluten free diet. I have found that the gluten free bread and pasta is actually higher in calories and fat than the regular wheat products. I guess because it tastes bad and they need to add sugars to make them taste normal. We typically don't buy the packaged "gluten free" products because they usually taste terrible. I cook with lots of fresh vegetables and lots and lots of chicken and mushrooms. I've lost weight by skipping the packaged stuff and cooking as cleanly as possible, which makes sense. I've found the best gluten free products are made by Schaar, and Amy's organics. Also, I try to substitute any white rice with Quinoa. Quinoa is my new obsession. Its amazing and so good for you. You can do anything with it. Good luck with your food allergies! stay positive too because I know he gets pretty down in the dumps about how restrictive his diet is. But he feels so much better than he did when he was 'poisoning' himself.

Thank you very much for that, I have noticed that the wheat free bread and pasta seems to be higher in calories :( but i suppose if your within your macros it should be ok! I suppose its trial and error and staying positive as you say! I will have a look in Quinoa, thanks for your advice :)