LADIES: Pre-period Bloating question

Options
Last Friday I was down to 201.2 from 207. I have not cheated on my diet and I have been exercising. Monday I was back up to 204 something and I have only gotten back down to 202.8 with the diet and exercise continuing.

I assume this is pre-period bloating because im due for my period any day now.

What I wondering is, if you get pre-period bloating, how long does it last? How much do you bloat?

Replies

• wasveganvictoria88
    wasveganvictoria88 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Urrrg bane of my life! I get it a week before and it doesn't go till after my period has finished. Everyone is different though!
  • MrsRoundbottom
    Options
    Yeah I put on a couple of pounds around period time too, it should come off again as it ends, its just water retention usually
  • Savagegirlt
    Options
    GRRRRR YES!!! About 4 days before my 'friend' comes I bloat up almost a dress size, or about 5lbs. It leaves about 1 day after ~she~ leaves. I hate hate hate it! I never did this until i had kids. When I started tracking my weight/food/exercise I thought the gain was because of my diet. But after several 'rounds' I realize it is just hormones playing with my body. Everyone is different, but this is pretty normal.
  • SavvyCake
    SavvyCake Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I feel you. I have to be easy on myself, because I've learned over the years that I can gain and lose 5 pounds just during the week of my period. It drives me INSANE.
  • cari4jc1
    cari4jc1 Posts: 233
    Options
    It sucks, but it happens. My last period I fluctuated 5 pounds total for the week before, the week of and it didn't go away until a few days after my period ended. It sucks, but just don't weigh yourself too much during TOM or at least don't take it seriously. Remember it's just water, not actual fat gain. It's stupid and annoying...yay for being a woman. haha
  • munny_p
    munny_p Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am bloated these last few days - i have lost 5lbs so far, but am back up to my starting weight because of my bloating. Trying to tell myself to just stick to the exercise and control my cravings and it'll be fine after it's all done...hard when I felt like I was doing so well. Not giving up, though!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Just don't weigh yourself around your period if the fluctuation bothers you.

My period causes me to sometimes have up to 10lbs of water weight. It happens. Typically goes away within a few days after my period is over.
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I found as much of a 5lb gain - and sometimes took a full week post visitor to lose it all.
    Some months I wouldnt have a gain at all

Drink plenty of water and avoid sodium drenched foods : )
  • aleshai
    aleshai Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I can bloat and retain 3-4 pounds of water pre-period. By the time that I have finished my period, I am back to where I was. The only thing is that it can get frustrating when it feels like you lose and gain and lose the same 3 or four pounds for that little bit of time. I really don't want to record those few pounds as a "gain" on mfp only to record the "loss" a few days later, but I guess it would be a good way to keep track of that time of the month... maybe I will try it next time! LOL
  • SWink06
    SWink06 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to know I'm not alone. I usually put on 2-5 pounds and it lasts around a week. It's so depressing to work so hard and yet watch the numbers on the scale creep up. I know it's water weight, but it's still depressing.
  • scrmngdsy
    scrmngdsy Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I NEVER weigh myself when I know I'm PMSing and I refrain from doing so until my period is over.

I only do this to avoid the added emotional stress of seing the number on the scale go up due to water retention (can be from 2-4 lbs in my case).

I suggest you hide the scale until aunt flo has departed!
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I usually put on about 5 lbs. I just had mine and I had only lost .2 for the week. I knew I would lose more after and I did. Just keep weighing your self and eating right and exercising. You'll even out when it's over. You could take some midol with a diuretic if it's uncomfortable. I have put on 10 lbs before. I did take midol to help. It suxs.
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Mine can last for a week, and I've gained as much as 9 lbs from bloating. I felt like an over stuffed sausage....
  • Damiilla
    Damiilla Posts: 66
    Options
    I get bloating up to a week before my period, from 2-4lbs.

I don't mind it, it's the CRAVINGS that kill me a little on the inside.
  • wookiemouse
    wookiemouse Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Yup, 4 lbs overnight as well. And on my monthly weigh-in day. Gotta love it.

I just ignore it and am pleasantly surprised by the scale when the week is over! :)
  • airlily
    airlily Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm going through this right now! I gained 8 pounds in 9 days! No lie. I've only lost 3.4 of it, but I restart my hormone tonight (I was on placebos), so hopefully the pill helps with the rest of the water. I also began lifting weights for the first time, so hat may have compounded the problem.

Feel free to add me; this horrible crap happens to me EVERY cycle.
  • ahigg396
    ahigg396 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    This it the worst feeling :( I sometimes gain 6-7 lbs in the week before my period and that usually lasts until a couple of days after I start. It's so discouraging, but try not to weigh yourself 'til afterwards because it's just water weight. It WILL go away. :)
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS put on a few pounds the week before my period...its pretty much annoying as hell ....drink lots of water , thats the best way to deal with it :happy:
  • tundeke
    tundeke Posts: 80
    Options
    I am the same i have preggers belly when PMs ing. However i found that Water retention tablets help! Maybe try that, it may help you too :flowerforyou:
  • thescrumisfun
    Options
    Probably anywhere from 2 -5 pounds. I take Midol and drink lots of water, and that helps curb it. Just watch the sodium intake!